Why wont it dry?

Hiddenevil

Hey guys

I've been having this serious issue with a prop recently and it's driving me banana's!

I bought a cortical stimulator off ebay, didn't cost much and i thought it would look good in side a med kit i'm trying to build.

The prop is made from this milky white material, which i'm guessing it's a form of resin. I've sanded it down, smoothed it and prepared it for the primer coat. It goes on perfect except for in one spot. Two tiny little spots side by side where it will not dry. What is going on? I'm gussing some sort of reaction.

I'd appreciate and help that could be given. At present the only option i see, it using a light layer of filler to cover the spot up.

Hi there

Yes it dries fine, except for on this one area :S

I'll take photo's give me a minute or two. I sanded it AGAIN and tried another coat.

I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is. It's called "weeping". This usually happens if the resin is old or contaminated. What sucks is you don't know that there's a problem until you try to paint it then the paint (or primer) reacts with the bad resin causing it to remain sticky. Very tricky problem to fix. Sanding, priming and more painting will not fix the issue.
Here are a few options:
Throw it away and buy another.
Dremmel out the bad resin and fill those spots with putty.
Set it on a shelf in the sun for a few weeks, this should dry it out but it may take a very long time.
Personally, this is what I would do as it's worked like a charm for me in the past though it's a little risky. Set the oven on a low setting and let it bake. It will dry out those spots. The down side is it will smell a little and I have no idea if there are health risks associated with doing this so you're kind of on your own there :lol The other risk is baking it too long or the oven being too hot. Keep checking on it VERY regularly.
Let us know what you end up doing and the results.
Good luck.

You could shake it around in a bag full of cornstarch and leave it for a week or two. That might leech out all the nastiness.

What setting should i put the ovan on? i guess a hair dryers is pointless..
I had considered leaving it on a radiator for a few days, as my father has the heating on all the time :)

Just uploading the photo's now..My major concern now, is that i also bought a hypospray from the same ebay seller..Its pitted to hell in area's and i'm working on fixing it up. I've primed it and it's acted in a similair way..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Careful with the oven bit there.

Last time I tried to dry something in the oven because it was taking WAY too long to dry because of the weather, the paint actually started bubbling :lol

Start on low heat, say 100 C, and MONITOR it constantly, for no more than 10-20 seconds at a time in and out of the oven.

Otherwise you'll end up with a blob of ex-cortical stimulator ... faster than you can say cortical stimulator :lol

Just saw your pics - do the oven bit a little, then fill it, sand it, prime it, paint it. Don't complicate it more than necessary :thumbsup

Yup, it's weeping.
The radiator idea sounds pretty good. Just make sure you put the bad parts closest to the heat and don't forget about it!
As far as the oven goes, nothing above 150 degrees. Even setting it on warm for a couple of hours should do the trick. I actually have a cheapo toaster oven that I picked up in a thrift store for 5 bucks that I use exclusively for this.

Thanks Alan, but before i fill it, sand it or even perhaps stick it up the ebay sellers nose..I have to get that wet spot sorted out. Can you all see it ok? Center right of the prop. Since i sanded it again, it's not half as bas as it was the first time round. The paint literally parted. The back, white side of the prop had wet spots all over even after 48hrs. So i'm going to simply cover the back up with some adhesive black foam.

It's not a good case, but i thought as i'd not made any props in 2 years, i should start small. I was going to prime it and then finish it using brushes

Thanks Jedi! btw can i ask, are you REALLY posted from a C64? The only reason i asked is because i spent the weekend getting my Commodore A1200 connected to my wireless network haha :p

Also, here's a heads up.
Once you try drying it out, and it looks and feel dry, prime it. DO NOT PAINT IT. It may dry it on the surface but somethimes it takes a few days for the bad stuff to leech out. If you think it's completely dry and you prime it and it's still good, set it on the shelf for a week. If it's still dry after a week, you should be good to go.

Thanks Jedi! btw can i ask, are you REALLY posted from a C64? The only reason i asked is because i spent the weekend getting my Commodore A1200 connected to my wireless network haha :p

:lol:lol:lol
I cannot tell you how many PM's I've had with people asking me that!
Not to sound condesending, but, seriously? How would one even DO that short of gluing the C64 housing to the top of a tiny laptop! It's like asking if I really modified my pager to take incoming calls. :lol
I had no idea so many people would take my joke seriously.

:lol:lol:lol
I cannot tell you how many PM's I've had with people asking me that!
Not to sound condesending, but, seriously? How would one even DO that short of gluing the C64 housing to the top of a tiny laptop! It's like asking if I really modified my pager to take incoming calls. :lol
I had no idea so many people would take my joke seriously.

Funny that this came up Armando :lol

I was talking to my wife yesterday about technology, and mentioned your signature somewhere in there.

I had to google-images of a C64 to show her :lol :lol

I had the same problem a while back with something. A friend recommended that I scrub it down with acetone, which fixed it. Just don't use the thin vinyl gloves...acetone eats them. :p

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back