Why Green Blood

scanff

Maybe this has already been asked. 

Anyone know why they have green blood?  The inside of a Predators mouth is red like humans and the P2 had a taste for beef which is high in iron, lol.

Any ideas, thoughts or facts :p

Why green blood?

Why not?

Now, if you were looking for a more scientific reason for it i may be able to help, i'm no huge science fan but here goes.

Humans blood is red because it reacts with oxygen, so i would guess the  green blood is something to do with the atmosphere and enviroment on their home world, working similar to humans.

Now, being so we have very little idea of how yautja biology really works, we cannot say that their biological system works the same way as ours and will proberbly react differently to the iron than we will.

And the red mouth is not coloured by blood, it is flesshy tissue stuff, but i guess that was not really considered in stan winston studio's design.

Dammn that was a lot of long words for someone as simple as me, hope that helped :cool:

It always bothers me that the mouth is pink but the blood is green.  If you have a highly vascular area with the vessels close to the skin you are going to get your blood color coming through.  I understand that humans have a hard time not seeing mouths as being anything but pinkish, but it still bothers me.

I agree, but that is what happens when you try and use science to explain a movie effect/prop style. It doesn't work. Just causes headaches lol

Sometimes you just need to remember that it was a charecter, a design out of a persons head. Did they consider all of this? proberbly not. I mean, would you be going after every last little detail if you had just created/ designed something as awesome as this
abcdeffff.jpg

Unlikely, still it is an interesting questioin.

As for the mouth, when they did the coulouring it was more than likely automatic to coulor it in red/ pink, but you still have a point. but would it really look right green? to some it may, to some it may not. I still think they look better with biomasks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not all blood is red even on Earth . . .  Most crabs, for instance, have green blood. Instead of using iron-based hemoglobin molecules to carry oxygen in their blood, like we do, they use copper-based hemocyanin, which makes their blood green. 

Yes, the pink inside the mouth is a mistake--in areas like that where the blood vessels lie close to the skin surface, the color you see is actually the blood. So to be scientifically correct, the inside of a Pred's mouth would be glow-in-the-dark green.

Wow, learned something today!  (y)
Lflank said:
Not all blood is red even on Earth . . .  Most crabs, for instance, have green blood. Instead of using iron-based hemoglobin molecules to carry oxygen in their blood, like we do, they use copper-based hemocyanin, which makes their blood green. 

Yes, the pink inside the mouth is a mistake--in areas like that where the blood vessels lie close to the skin surface, the color you see is actually the blood. So to be scientifically correct, the inside of a Pred's mouth would be glow-in-the-dark green.

Prasinohaema Skinks...( a type of lizard for all you non-herpetologists ) have green blood. They live in Papaua New Guinea, and are the only vertebrate species on Earth that doesn't have red blood. ..(that we know of so far)....their blood is incredibly toxic and as a result, they dont succumb to much predation or blood-parasites.

davidkraww said:
I had to do this just to see what it would look like haha

tumblr_n88yf1ULYf1qj2adbo1_500.jpg

Looks a lot better, doesn't it . . . . 

OK, that settles it--if I ever do a latex mask, that'll be the paintjob.  ;)

Nah, I think it was the right thing to keep the mouth red. As a silent hunter the last thing you'd want is a glowing green mouth, especially at night ;p.

scanff said:
Nah, I think it was the right thing to keep the mouth red. As a silent hunter the last thing you'd want is a glowing green mouth, especially at night ;p.
Thats why they wear bio masks! haha.

scanff said:
I agree Scanff, this make perfect sense from an evolutionary standpoint. If not pink, as is  the color  of our  mouths, the Predator's color could have been made a muddled brown. ( green and pink make brown) I'm of the opinion that  the majority of creatures resideing on the predator home would have glowing green blood, just as the majority here have red. I've always had it figured that the green glowing blood served as a type of signal to other predatory/flesh eating species that there was a wounded creature..i.e  possible meal near by, and would enable them to close in on it rather quickly.
~Estelle

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back