Who's going to be at WonderCon Saturday?

Fair warning, there were TONS of Spider-man costumes out today, it will almost certainly be worse tomorrow. You guys ought to form a Spidey-gang, you could take over the con. :)

Haha! I saw about a dozen... However, only mine and one other were homemade. Everyone else cheated and bought theirs! lol
I was the only one in the masquerade last night though, so that was cool :)

Haha! I saw about a dozen... However, only mine and one other were homemade. Everyone else cheated and bought theirs! lol
I was the only one in the masquerade last night though, so that was cool :)

There were tons of them, but you're right, most were just bought costumes. There were a ton of Deadpools that just bought Halloween bodysuit costumes and figured that was all they had to do. Sorry, just having the costume screen printed on fabric isn't all that impressive.

My friend wouldn't go to a con with me because she said she'd want to dress up and since she (like I) can't sew, she wasn't going to wear a store bought costume because people would make fun of her for it. She got that from Heroes of Cosplay. She was actually AFRAID to wear something she didn't make herself so she chose not to go instead because the whole fun of it for her was dressing up. It was sad.

The staff at a Convention should see to it that no-one is bothered/harassed,and that visitors as well as bystanders should report this kind of destructive behaviour.
People haven't got the faintest idea what bullying can do to the human mind...these conventions are supposed to be a way to build up one's confidence if anything.

My friend wouldn't go to a con with me because she said she'd want to dress up and since she (like I) can't sew, she wasn't going to wear a store bought costume because people would make fun of her for it. She got that from Heroes of Cosplay. She was actually AFRAID to wear something she didn't make herself so she chose not to go instead because the whole fun of it for her was dressing up. It was sad.

Heroes of Cosplay was an idiotic show where everything was fixed and conventions just didn't want to be involved because it was all a sham. Anyone who actually acts like that ought to have a lightsaber rammed up their nose. The whole point of costuming is to have fun, not to compete.

The staff at a Convention should see to it that no-one is bothered/harassed,and that visitors as well as bystanders should report this kind of destructive behaviour.
People haven't got the faintest idea what bullying can do to the human mind...these conventions are supposed to be a way to build up one's confidence if anything.
They do! when you check in they hand you a list of rules and an anti-harassment policy. There's tons of store bought costumes and screen print costumes sewn by others. Alot of them look really good and get a lot of photos done. Though, you can't enter the masquerade with something that isn't at least 75% made by you.

Lots of people where store bought costumes and look great. Everyone is super friendly and give compliments whether bought or made. It's all about having fun and enjoying your costume. Let your friend know that she need not worry! Just be what you want to be and have a blast doing it. My costume is home-made, but there were lot's of Spidey's wandering around the halls. And I was impressed whether home-made or not.

Oh I agree entirely that you shouldn't need to make everything yourself to wear it to a convention. But with it having been shown on HoC, people having had attitudes previously that they made their own costume so they are somehow better or more cosplay-ish than someone who didn't and costume contests asking who made your costume, it really does kinda put someone who didn't make one at a disadvantage. I just brought it up because as much as we wish it wasn't that way, we can't honestly tell someone that it will never matter if they don't make their own costume.

There were tons of them, but you're right, most were just bought costumes. There were a ton of Deadpools that just bought Halloween bodysuit costumes and figured that was all they had to do. Sorry, just having the costume screen printed on fabric isn't all that impressive.
See, to me, the fact that someone would dress up in public at ALL is impressive. But then, I remember back in 1991 when the costume contest at our local convention had maybe 20 people in it, probably less than that. Now it takes all day, before it took like half an hour. So I come from a different perspective where just getting someone to dress up is great. If they can make their stuff too? More power to them. It's a costume contest, not a sewing contest. But even people who don't compete are judged on the con floor. I've seen it.

Oh I agree entirely that you shouldn't need to make everything yourself to wear it to a convention. But with it having been shown on HoC, people having had attitudes previously that they made their own costume so they are somehow better or more cosplay-ish than someone who didn't and costume contests asking who made your costume, it really does kinda put someone who didn't make one at a disadvantage. I just brought it up because as much as we wish it wasn't that way, we can't honestly tell someone that it will never matter if they don't make their own costume.

The people on HoC aren't making hall costumes, they are competing for money (which I think is idiotic). Just to walk around at a convention, you can do whatever you want to do, people slap things together out of cardboard, it really doesn't matter. Just don't enter the masquerade.

See, to me, the fact that someone would dress up in public at ALL is impressive. But then, I remember back in 1991 when the costume contest at our local convention had maybe 20 people in it, probably less than that. Now it takes all day, before it took like half an hour. So I come from a different perspective where just getting someone to dress up is great. If they can make their stuff too? More power to them. It's a costume contest, not a sewing contest. But even people who don't compete are judged on the con floor. I've seen it.

Today, a massive number of people dress up, you're probably looking at close to half of the attendees are doing something. It's not a contest at all unless you choose to make it one. All costuming is and has ever been is an admiration for a particular character. It never has to be a dick-waving contest. People who take it too seriously are oversensitive.

People who take it too seriously are oversensitive.
They can if they want to,but then they shouldn't bother other people with their standards.
That easy,but apparently so very difficult to do...

It's unfortunate that the perception of 'You have to make your own stuff or you are looked down upon' has become the reality in many circles.

Maybe we as RPF'ers can change that reality and make a difference...at least at the Conventions we visit,talk to the organizers.I know I wouldn't hesitate to walk up to a person to confront them with their bullying and notify staff.

They can if they want to,but then they shouldn't bother other people with their standards.
That easy,but apparently so very difficult to do...

Not for mature adults it shouldn't be. There are far too many people who treat fandom like a lifestyle, not as a hobby. It's not supposed to be a substitute for real life, it's supposed to be something you do in your free time for fun. You do start getting the people who are fanatics, who start believing they are really Jedi because they hate their real lives. These people need serious professional help. If they spent half as much time and effort on their real lives as they do on fantasy, they wouldn't be nearly as screwed up as they are. I've been doing this for more than 40 years now, I've talked to a lot of people who have serious psychological problems that they are trying to bury themselves in various fandoms to hide because they refuse to admit they have a problem. Taking anything too far or too seriously isn't healthy. When anything completely takes over your life and you have no other interests and no balance in your life, something is wrong, whether you bother others or not.

I'm impressed with a costume no matter what its origins. If It looks cool, it looks cool. Hell, if i could afford to buy a screen accurate suit, id buy it and wear it with pride.

I wasn't talking about screen accurate, I was talking about people who just get tights with the costume pattern silkscreened on it and then go to absolutely no more effort to modify the costume. There were plenty of Deadpools who were wearing an off-the-shelf Halloween costume with a belt silkscreened on it, as if that's just as good as putting a belt on. I don't really care what these people do, but if they want to impress anyone, they need to put in a little sweat equity.

I wasn't talking about screen accurate, I was talking about people who just get tights with the costume pattern silkscreened on it and then go to absolutely no more effort to modify the costume. There were plenty of Deadpools who were wearing an off-the-shelf Halloween costume with a belt silkscreened on it, as if that's just as good as putting a belt on. I don't really care what these people do, but if they want to impress anyone, they need to put in a little sweat equity.

I agree, my favorite Deadpool went out of the way to get a ton of buckles and belts and pockets, swords and guns, to go over his standard red and black bodysuit. It made all the difference. He didn't make any portion of his costume, but he did take that extra step and got the extra accessories to complete the look.

I agree, my favorite Deadpool went out of the way to get a ton of buckles and belts and pockets, swords and guns, to go over his standard red and black bodysuit. It made all the difference. He didn't make any portion of his costume, but he did take that extra step and got the extra accessories to complete the look.

For far too many, this was the entirety of their costume: http://www.partycity.com/product/adult+deadpool+partysuit.do?refType=&navSet=176438

Eventhough I understand the point about putting in personal effort for costumes,it shouldn't really matter what people wear.For all I care they would want to visit as The Amazing Bag Man...
View attachment 462062
it's their​ way of expressing their fandom.If peronal effort really mattered at Conventions,they would have selection procedures at the door or even in ticket sales

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back