Who owns the oldest screen used prop ?

Wait, so if someone had a screen used piece from "Back to the Future III", they went back in time to 1885, so would that pre-date the 1916 wooden sword?

;) KIDDING! Awesome prop, by the way!

-- Tim

Good god, Richie, how'd you get that?

What kind of shape is it in? Is it on safety film or cellulose base?

Can you show us pictures of it?

-Mike

The film seems to be in good shape. Ive never completely taken it out of the cannister so as not to damage the film. Looked thru some of the outter film with a magnifying glass . It seems to be in good condition.

Ive always assumed its a copy etc as I didnt figure too many have survived altho the info I received when I purchased it said it was original. Didnt matter too much to me as I didnt pay much for it.

Ill do some research on it asap. I got it thru a Library auction several years ago. I havent ever been able to find much in the way of info relating to these early films altho I do know they are VERY delicate. Never seen another copy in film format since or after I obtained this version. BTW its 2 cannisters of film. The original release was somewhere in the 3 hour range and was cut back several times for US audiences etc. hence there were several versions of the film released from the very beginning.

Currently its sitting on a shelf next to my Maria Bust and an original copy of the book Metropolis.

BTW If anyone has knowledge in preservation of this type of item please post info etc. I think that may make an interesting topic for discussion.

Richie

The film seems to be in good shape. Ive never completely taken it out of the cannister so as not to damage the film. Looked thru some of the outter film with a magnifying glass . It seems to be in good condition.

Ive always assumed its a copy etc as I didnt figure too many have survived altho the info I received when I purchased it said it was original. Didnt matter too much to me as I didnt pay much for it.

Ill do some research on it asap. I got it thru a Library auction several years ago. I havent ever been able to find much in the way of info relating to these early films altho I do know they are VERY delicate. Never seen another copy in film format since or after I obtained this version. BTW its 2 cannisters of film. The original release was somewhere in the 3 hour range and was cut back several times for US audiences etc. hence there were several versions of the film released from the very beginning.

Currently its sitting on a shelf next to my Maria Bust and an original copy of the book Metropolis.

BTW If anyone has knowledge in preservation of this type of item please post info etc. I think that may make an interesting topic for discussion.

Richie

I am a grad student at the University of Rochester, and I live down the street from teh George Eastman house (The nation's largest film preservation society), so if you have any specific questions I'm sure I could find out for you. They devote alot of time, money, and effort into film preservation and so I'm sure that anyone there would be more than willing to help you preserve a classic like that for postarity.

Dan
DDStokes@aol.com

AS. That would be great. Ill take a gander at it this morning and try to snap some copies etc. Anyone know what size film was used ? 6mm, 8mm??

Richie

35mm for theater release. Most libraries had 16mm copies. I have a 16mm copy on 2 reels. If it were a complete 35mm copy it would be 5 - 8 cans.

Does it smell like vinegar?

BrianM

Do you have any pictures? I LOVE to see that!!!!

I own nothing screen used but my grandfather has a hunk off waxy stuff that he swears is part of Lon Cheney's face from the old Phantom of the Opera movie. I have no idea if it is or not though....:lol

I have Navarre's screen used stunt sword from LadyHawke...That's 1985.
Not the oldest... but it was used by Rutger Hauer ;)

1006758rsul4.jpg

1006759rsqe1.jpg

I've got the screen-used OMNI magazine mockup (yes, the mockup...they only made one, and it's not "printed" as we'd think about it today) from Ghostbusters.

OMNIBestFunk222.jpg

Was in a Planet Hollywood before it found its way into my collection. It's certainly not the oldest (1984), but it beats Ladyhawke.

:)

///BTW, Seaview, how did you acquire that sword?

How much of it's journey (1916-2008) do you know?///

Ebay, for $40..........many years ago when you could get a good deal. The seller said that the prop was used in 1916 and then stored (in a crate with other wooden swords and what-not) till 199? at a un-named Hollywood prop house. He acquired the crate and sold off the contents in several ebay lots back then.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back