Who owns the oldest screen used prop ?

Megamicrofish

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I thought this would be an interesting topic.
who has the oldest screen used prop?
An original prop from Indiana Jones ROTLA for instance would be nearly 30 years old, I'm sure some of you have a lot older props?

I have screenused stuff from ANH but there are a couple of guys with screenused pieces from Wizard of Oz which would take oldest piece I would think.

Yeah, I have nothing to compare but I have to say, this is one of the best, freshest topics I've seen in a while. Kudos! :thumbsup

I own nothing screen used but my grandfather has a hunk off waxy stuff that he swears is part of Lon Cheney's face from the old Phantom of the Opera movie. I have no idea if it is or not though....:lol

The owner of the original 1933 Kong would be Bob Burns. If you google his name, you'll find some good stories about his prop collection and his history in the movie business.

I have a German helmet from the 40s,...its paper mache.
Used in several films I believe.

Also have a sword and scabbard from "Spartacus".

These are old.

will put pics on my Flikr, when I get a moment.

Given the size of Forrest J. Ackerman's collection he might have something that pre-dates 1916, but I don't think he's a member here. :p

Originally Posted by SSRN Seaview
I have a prop wooden sword from the 1916 DW Griffith classic silent movie Intolerance. That's 91 years old.

It's from the 4th segment of the film:
THE BABYLONIAN STORY (539 B.C.): (Gray-Green Tint) peace-loving Prince Belshazzar's Babylon at the time of its Siege and Fall by King Cyrus the Persian, due to the treacherous High Priests - and the Mountain Girl's vain efforts to avert the tragedy. The outdoor set for the Babylonian sequences was the largest ever created for a Hollywood film up to its time, and its crowd shots with 16,000 extras were also some of the greatest in cinematic history.

Picture001_2.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Last edited:
I own parts of the original (not Apollo 13 movie) Apollo 11. The world watched in awe as the USA landed on the moon. That was back in 1968, so does that count as screen used?

i've got Deforest Kelley's goggles he wore in Undiscovered Country (1991) and a Klingon control panel that originally was a ATM machine from the minature set remake of the blob.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back