Who has done life size Death Star themes

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by DL 44 Blaster, Apr 24, 2006.

1. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

I'm in the midst of my own Death Star themed prop display room and am looking for any bit of inspiration I can get. I did a google and found a nice set up that folks did for CIII. I also have bookmarked from Dr.Maul I believe who also did a display panel for a Con.

I plan on using 3/4" MDF with some mild 2x4 framing to accentuate doors and the window that is in the room. Of course the famous lighted panels are a must to give it the feel of being on the Death Star. My room has a nice angled roof line on the one side so it's not just a square room and will add a nice element for the illusion of being elsewhere when stepping into the room.

So any pics, thought's, ideas are more than welcome as I'm heading to Homer tomorrow to pick up a bunch of material.

Steve

2. Jimbo890

Jimbo890 Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DL 44 Blaster @ Apr 25 2006, 01:21 AM) [snapback]1232519[/snapback]</div>

We are working on some set pieces and some wall panels for a fan film. Onboard a Star Destroyer but still looks similar. One suggestion: Do a detailed elevation and floor plan so everyone involved will know what you are after. Backlighting the panels etc. may require access to electical fitting, just work an access point where you need them. Also, don't forget the floor and ceiling to complete the illuson. If you room has a window, then you are stuck with that vantage point, but an option might be to add some sort of DS type blind.

3. Kris

Kris Sr Member

4. xmart

xmart Well-Known Member

5. CTF

CTF Sr Member

The former Editor of The Insider (Lisa?) had an awesome DS themed home theatre - the best I've seen.

I think I saw it on TF.n or Sir Steve's a few years back.

6. DrMaul

DrMaul Well-Known Member

7. hyperdyne

hyperdyne Sr Member

Our own Moncal just finished up a great DS wall. He brought it to the local con this weekend to act as a photo backdrop. It is an awesome setup.

[​IMG]

8. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

Cool, thanks for the added pics guys. I came across the dillonworks home theater during a web search. I could only imagine what the bid was on that job.

Dr. Maul, if you have some of your pics in a higher res. that would be most helpful. You could email them to me at smr6971@comcast.net any time. Also, are your lighted panels 4" wide for each row? 5 rows in all across and they look 4" wide if my scaling was on target ;)

I picked up 6 sheets of 4x8 3/4" MDF today and am going out into the garage to start making templates now. I'm getting started on the lighted panels first. I'm debating *IF* I'm going to indeed light them. It wouldn't be hard since there is an electrical outlet on every wall, but I'm not sure I want to leave that much room behind them and have too much wall intrustion since I'm going to use the space for display and the room is only 10 x 12. I thought about making a pocket door for the closet, but again space is an issue, so I'll have to come up with something crude, yet clever to overcome that obstacle.

Thanks again guys,

Steve

9. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

I've been working my * off these past few days on my Death Star room. I should have some progress pics tomorrow night. Most all of the panel peices are made or ripped down.

I had a run in with a circular saw today in the line of duty :eek Krazy glue cinched it back together. I got really lucky this time :$

I've got a great idea on lighting all my panels, but I need rope style Christmas lights to do it...and Spring time isn't the season to go looking for Christmas lights....I tried :lol

Stay tuned..

Steve

10. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

[attachmentid=7824] [attachmentid=7829]
    [attachmentid=7826] [attachmentid=7827]
    [attachmentid=7828]

I started assembly today and first coated the light panels. Tomorrow should bring alot more progress in the name of getting the light panels completed and mounted.

Steve

11. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

Very cool. Please keep the pictures coming... I'm interested in seeing how this turns out for you.

12. DrMaul

DrMaul Well-Known Member

Looking sweet.

13. defleshjedi

defleshjedi New Member

neat stuff, :) wish I could set mine up in the house :(

14. DrStranglove

DrStranglove Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kris @ Apr 24 2006, 09:35 PM) [snapback]1232527[/snapback]</div>

Why did he pack it all away???

15. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

I wish I could do that to my house, my wife puts up with the props fine, but the house decorating is all hers :rolleyes .

16. Buddydog

Buddydog New Member

You need a room. We have a compromise, the rest of the house is hers but I have the "prop" room all to myself....Not that I would have the gonads to do anything this drastic...Although I'd love to. It's all about resale at this point.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boba Frett @ Apr 29 2006, 04:38 PM) [snapback]1235508[/snapback]</div>

17. Kris

Kris Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DrStranglove @ Apr 29 2006, 06:27 PM) [snapback]1235499[/snapback]</div>

Why did he pack it all away???
    [/b][/quote]

I believe he recently moved.

18. Jayn

Jayn Sr Member

19. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

That's a great pic. Love to see a bigger version.....reminds me of the SW rock band poster....

20. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Buddydog @ Apr 29 2006, 01:00 PM) [snapback]1235525[/snapback]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

I hear ya on the resale thing. I'm building it so when the time comes.....sooner or hopefully much, MUCH later I can take it all apart as I'm using hex head metal screws to attach everything to the wall and leaving the heads exposed. It's kind of a neat element, and I'll be able to easily remove everything to patch, prime, and then repaint the room.

I was definitely thinking ahead on this one ;)

Steve

21. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

Having the past week off I've spent quite a few hours on this....as in over 8 a day for a week to get this done once and for all.

I've put the final finishing touches on today, doorpads, along with some greeblies onto them. The room may change slightly over time, but this is the finished product as of today.

Come Christmas time I plan on removing the light panels and stringing "rope" style Christmas lights along each pane and securing. All panels will be controlled off the switched outlet when coming into the room. I installed frosted styrene light panels for this future upgrade.

I hope you guys like it. Now I've just got to get mannequins to start displaying my costumes.....ahhh more cash to spend :eek:

Steve

[attachmentid=7890] [attachmentid=7887]
    [attachmentid=7889] [attachmentid=7888]
    [attachmentid=7891]

22. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Well-Known Member

Wow. Nice work Steve. :eek

I love how it's turned out... the sloping ceiling reminds me of the detention block in ANH... :)

Cheers,
    John

23. RKW

RKW Sr Member

Zoiks.. :eek

24. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

Very, very cool. :thumbsup Are the raised panels made by layering cut drywall or similar material? Nice job. :thumbsup

25. lambotour

lambotour Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That totally rocks :thumbsup

26. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's pretty.

And if someone comes into the room and forgets to close the door behind them, you know what you can say...

"Close the blast doors." :p

27. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey Steve...that looks awesome. A WHOLE ROOM decorated in SW theme...GREAT :)

Where will you put the shelves/ glass cabinets?

Markus

28. gonk27

gonk27 Sr Member

That is genuinely fantastic. I'm insanely jealous.. :p

Every bit as good as the guy with the Star Trek apartment - much better in fact coz it's Star Wars. :D

(Can I come to stay?)

I've thought of doing this over the years but I've never really had the space available, it's always been a pipe dream - I even drew blueprints for a stylised Death Star set once and almost completed an MDF wall Panel but that's as far as it got..

Getting the inspiration again now though, thanks to you.

Jeremy

29. chris1748

chris1748 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is incredible, can you give us a quick tutorial on how you did it?

again WOW....

chris

30. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

:$ Thanks guys.....It's all done with MDF mounted to the drywall in areas of smaller accents. The light panels are from full 4 x 8 sheets that I ripped to size and proportions for the amount of light panels required to be symetrical. I've got to make a folding door from the inside for the closet since the 6 panel colonial door had to go along with the entry door. Lighting at night is rough since every wall is flat gray.....not very conducive to lights. Something else I've got to work on 'til I can light the panels.

The light panels were the hardest. I just made two templates for the two different light sizes. Drew up the layout on each, traced it then cut it out using a circular saw and scroll saw. Then some clean up with a file and sandpaper. I mounted them to the wall on the same 3/4" MDF ripped to small peices at the top/middle/bottom and ripped sides to cover where they stick out from the wall. I should have taken more progress pics, but only have the pre-painted, pre-assembly pics. I actually just threw out the light templates in today's trash :confused

The tricky part is going to be filling it tastefully since it's such an in your face design. First I'm going to work on spacing out all my costumes on mannequins. I've got 5 full ones which are going to eat up alot of space:

Han ANH
    Luke Bespin
    Boba Fett ESB B)
    Sandtrooper
    Stormtrooper

Among some other mics. props and about 150 OT 12" figures, my favorite ESB "Gone with the Wind" poster. I'll probably wind up doing a rotation of sorts with a few of the figures. I've also got 2 original rolls of ESB Wallpaper from 1980 that I planned on using that won't see walltime either.....so much stuff so little space.

Steve

31. SHalamar

SHalamar Well-Known Member

VERY nice. Looks great. I tried to convince my wife to let me do the same.. but.. erm..

I got 'THE LOOK'. Ahh well. :)

32. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SHalamar @ May 4 2006, 08:45 PM) [snapback]1238598[/snapback]</div>

Oh I got "the look" ....not too badly, but a look none the less. The only reason I got away with it is because we have a 4 bedroom house and it's just my wife, myself, and my daughter. The "Star Wars room" is bedroom #4 at the far end of the upstairs hallway that nobody will *really* see...unfortunately :D

Although my wife did suggest charging a minimum admission for people to come and see it all when it's fully decorated :eek she always keeps me guessing after all these years :lol

Steve

33. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

Holy cow. Most impressive. Nicely done. Very, very cool.

34. propcicle

propcicle Well-Known Member

:eek That totally rocks - I love it...

"Hey honey take a look a this room this guy did. Wouldn't that look good in our...SMACK."

-Propcicle

35. Luke Warmwater

Luke Warmwater Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DL 44 Blaster @ May 4 2006, 06:14 PM) [snapback]1238346[/snapback]</div>
    If you open the upper panels here, do tribbles fall out?

36. HDPE

HDPE Well-Known Member

Awesome.

I wish I had room do to something similar. (I would choose Bespin though).

Great work.

37. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Luke Warmwater @ May 5 2006, 03:53 PM) [snapback]1239090[/snapback]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

:D Nah...it's all for show. The carbon freezing chamber is my dream space, but considering it's level of darkness to really pull it off I'm sure a display room wouldn't be best suited in that environment.

I tossed around doing the Tantive IV, but took the easy route and did the Death Star. Once those light panels are up it's unmistakable.

Steve

38. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

SWEET..

39. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome work, man. :eek :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

I'm looking forward to seeing more pics when the figures are installed.

By the way, what's the total surface area of the floor in there?

40. Stormy320

Stormy320 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks great.

What's on the floor?

41. DarthBish

DarthBish Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Luke Warmwater @ May 5 2006, 07:53 PM) [snapback]1239090[/snapback]</div>
    [/b][/quote]
    :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

42. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

Unfortunately the floor still has the carpet. I didn't find anything yet that met my likings that didn't blow the budget. I was looking for something industrial. We had some awesome raised floor tiles that are used in computer mainframe centers at my "old work"...but now that A) yesterday was my last day and B) They are filled with concrete using them was out of the question.

Too bad I couldn't find the hollow ones as I knew we had them...they were PERFECT for the room and had the right clank,clank,clank when walking on them.

Oh and the room is about 150 sq. feet.....nothing big

Steve

43. gonk27

gonk27 Sr Member

Would just a plain black lino do for the flooring?

I've not looked into it's price but I wouldn't think it's all that pricey and it should give you the right finish to your floor.

Jeremy

44. tk5378

tk5378 Well-Known Member

Great job, now all you need to do is change out the light switches for some rocker style ones, painted to match...much more SW'sy. Wish I had the space to pull this off...I once thought about redoing Echo Base in my prop room...nixed by the budget and space to do it right.

45. Lupus Yonderboy

Lupus Yonderboy Well-Known Member

Fantastic work.
    I'm bumping this thread hoping there's someone who has some good SW-themed window graphics and/or pics.
    Steve/DL44, I can't see the pics of how your room turned out anymore. Could you post them again?
    Cheers,
    Pontus

46. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

Here's the most recent pics. I've done a little more stuff in the room lately, mainly getting my ESB Boba Fett assembly started.

47. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Looks fantastic.