Who has done life size Death Star themes

DL 44 Blaster

Sr Member
I'm in the midst of my own Death Star themed prop display room and am looking for any bit of inspiration I can get. I did a google and found a nice set up that folks did for CIII. I also have bookmarked from Dr.Maul I believe who also did a display panel for a Con.

I plan on using 3/4" MDF with some mild 2x4 framing to accentuate doors and the window that is in the room. Of course the famous lighted panels are a must to give it the feel of being on the Death Star. My room has a nice angled roof line on the one side so it's not just a square room and will add a nice element for the illusion of being elsewhere when stepping into the room.

So any pics, thought's, ideas are more than welcome as I'm heading to Homer tomorrow to pick up a bunch of material.

Steve

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DL 44 Blaster @ Apr 25 2006, 01:21 AM) [snapback]1232519[/snapback]</div>
I'm in the midst of my own Death Star themed prop display room and am looking for any bit of inspiration I can get. I did a google and found a nice set up that folks did for CIII. I also have bookmarked from Dr.Maul I believe who also did a display panel for a Con.

I plan on using 3/4" MDF with some mild 2x4 framing to accentuate doors and the window that is in the room. Of course the famous lighted panels are a must to give it the feel of being on the Death Star. My room has a nice angled roof line on the one side so it's not just a square room and will add a nice element for the illusion of being elsewhere when stepping into the room.

So any pics, thought's, ideas are more than welcome as I'm heading to Homer tomorrow to pick up a bunch of material.

Steve
[/b]

We are working on some set pieces and some wall panels for a fan film. Onboard a Star Destroyer but still looks similar. One suggestion: Do a detailed elevation and floor plan so everyone involved will know what you are after. Backlighting the panels etc. may require access to electical fitting, just work an access point where you need them. Also, don't forget the floor and ceiling to complete the illuson. If you room has a window, then you are stuck with that vantage point, but an option might be to add some sort of DS type blind.

The former Editor of The Insider (Lisa?) had an awesome DS themed home theatre - the best I've seen.

I think I saw it on TF.n or Sir Steve's a few years back.

Sounds like you've already got the details of the little Death Star set I did for a local convention, but in case you don't have them all, this one is a 'making of' thread (on our local 501st Garrison forums): http://outpost42.dr-maul.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=146

And here are tons of photos of it in action: http://outpost42.dr-maul.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=149

R2_03s.jpg

Our own Moncal just finished up a great DS wall. He brought it to the local con this weekend to act as a photo backdrop. It is an awesome setup.

IMG_4171_resize.jpg

Cool, thanks for the added pics guys. I came across the dillonworks home theater during a web search. I could only imagine what the bid was on that job.

Dr. Maul, if you have some of your pics in a higher res. that would be most helpful. You could email them to me at smr6971@comcast.net any time. Also, are your lighted panels 4" wide for each row? 5 rows in all across and they look 4" wide if my scaling was on target ;)

I picked up 6 sheets of 4x8 3/4" MDF today and am going out into the garage to start making templates now. I'm getting started on the lighted panels first. I'm debating *IF* I'm going to indeed light them. It wouldn't be hard since there is an electrical outlet on every wall, but I'm not sure I want to leave that much room behind them and have too much wall intrustion since I'm going to use the space for display and the room is only 10 x 12. I thought about making a pocket door for the closet, but again space is an issue, so I'll have to come up with something crude, yet clever to overcome that obstacle.

Thanks again guys,

Steve

I've been working my ARSE off these past few days on my Death Star room. I should have some progress pics tomorrow night. Most all of the panel peices are made or ripped down.

I had a run in with a circular saw today in the line of duty :eek Krazy glue cinched it back together. I got really lucky this time :$

I've got a great idea on lighting all my panels, but I need rope style Christmas lights to do it...and Spring time isn't the season to go looking for Christmas lights....I tried :lol

Stay tuned..

Steve

[attachmentid=7824] [attachmentid=7829]
[attachmentid=7826] [attachmentid=7827]
[attachmentid=7828]

I started assembly today and first coated the light panels. Tomorrow should bring alot more progress in the name of getting the light panels completed and mounted.

Steve

You need a room. We have a compromise, the rest of the house is hers but I have the "prop" room all to myself....Not that I would have the gonads to do anything this drastic...Although I'd love to. It's all about resale at this point.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boba Frett @ Apr 29 2006, 04:38 PM) [snapback]1235508[/snapback]</div>
I wish I could do that to my house, my wife puts up with the props fine, but the house decorating is all hers :rolleyes .
[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Buddydog @ Apr 29 2006, 01:00 PM) [snapback]1235525[/snapback]</div>
You need a room. We have a compromise, the rest of the house is hers but I have the "prop" room all to myself....Not that I would have the gonads to do anything this drastic...Although I'd love to. It's all about resale at this point.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boba Frett @ Apr 29 2006, 04:38 PM) [snapback]1235508[/snapback]
I wish I could do that to my house, my wife puts up with the props fine, but the house decorating is all hers :rolleyes .
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

I hear ya on the resale thing. I'm building it so when the time comes.....sooner or hopefully much, MUCH later I can take it all apart as I'm using hex head metal screws to attach everything to the wall and leaving the heads exposed. It's kind of a neat element, and I'll be able to easily remove everything to patch, prime, and then repaint the room.

I was definitely thinking ahead on this one ;)

Steve

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back