Who else watched Predators yesterday?

Deserve a break i guess.
Their burdens
1. Because unlike the first one,we already knew what they(predators) looked like.
2. Disappointed by AVPs,they tried so hard to "HEY,it's not like those movies and we loved P1":lol
Maybe too hard.

Their burdens
1. Because unlike the first one,we already knew what they(predators) looked like.

At least this one had the somewhat advantage of showcasing an entirely new race of the Predator species that looked a lot more ferocious. They weren't afraid to show you the original predator unmasked from the start.

they could have done more with the different predators . I like the idea of the planet rather than earth. It's like Friday the 13th , the further it gets away from the original they start getting terrible. Maybe that is for every movie..SW , ST , Halloween.

Only because its the same movie as the first one.

A few references and nods do not make it "the same movie." Not even close. Unless you're just referring to the "stalk and kill" ten-little-indians formula, but then that's the format of many slasher-style flicks.

Can't wait for this on DVD!

There were more than a FEW references and nods.

Wow imagine that a sequal which makes reference to a previous movie what a shocker.

The girl tells how they see infra red and Dutch beat it by using mud to block his heat signature and it's a surprise that someone might employ a tried and tested technique to his adavantage in this movie ?

Thanks for the snark, it just makes me ignore you.

It wasn't just the references but the way they did it, with the direct lines from the first movie. It just felt so forced. The film would have been much better without it.

SO...I'm gonna go ahead and start the official nerdy "DVD is coming!" excitement. Anyone with me? I pretty much never buy new DVDs, but this one I don't think I can wait for discounts/used prices. I loves me some Predator!

SO...I'm gonna go ahead and start the official nerdy "DVD is coming!" excitement. Anyone with me? I pretty much never buy new DVDs, but this one I don't think I can wait for discounts/used prices. I loves me some Predator!

Right there with ya bro. I've been seeing this on the shelves at work (Amazon) all last week and I can't wait for it to drop so I can march into a store and buy my copy.
There aren't many films I'll drop my cash on and while I'm a completist, I still haven't bothered with Terminator:Salvation but I'm definitely buying Predators.

I picked up the Blu-Ray of Predators today and although I am hesitant to call it a "good" movie, in comparison to the last two, it ROCKED, and in some ways, it actually held its own to the first. For me, the biggest deal was that I walked out of AVP2 and ESPECIALLY AVP saying "that was NOT a Predator movie" and at the end of this one, I didn't feel that way. Whether they got it all right or not, the director and RR both seemed passionate about the project and really interested in getting it right. They mentioned that they ONLY used the first movie as reference and I think it shows big time.

The three weakest links in my opinion were:

1) The female sniper. I would bet ANYTHING that they tried to get Michelle Rodriguez for this part. The part seemed to be crafted specifically for her acting style (or lack thereof) and this girl just seemed like a cheap knockoff which was even worse. It will probably sound sexist, but I often have great difficulty believing in female "tough guys." They are often written poorly and performed even more poorly. Sigorny Weaver pulled it off well at the end of Aliens, but I can't think of another good example at the moment. Michelle Rodriguez is my all time pet peeve for tough girl. Tilting your head down and looking up through your eyelids in EVERY scene in a movie does NOT make you look tough! Sorry... getting off track. My point is, the female sniper has ONE facial expression the whole movie and simply was not right for this role.

2) Homages. They specifically mention in the documentaries that they purposely placed homages throughout the film. Listen, we know it is a Predator movie. It has Predator in the name. You have the Predator soundtrack from start to finish. You don't need a lot of homages for us to relate. We get it. Ease up on the homages. Did we really need the mini-gun... AGAIN? Speaking of, did the Russian hit ANYTHING with the minigun in the whole movie? Just how good of a killer was he? Seemed like he might make a good stormtrooper...

3) Topher Grace's last scenes. I think I mentioned this before but it was just as painful the second time around. It is really interesting to watch the cut scenes from the movie because there is a lot of character building that was cut from the film for each character, and rightfully so. The humans are given a bit of character but not too terribly much and I think they hit a good mark with that as they were primarily cannon fodder anyway. But for some inexplicable reason, they left Topher Grace's "big reveal" in as if were the point of the movie! It was horribly distracting at a critical point. The action is climaxing, predators are fighting, the only ship home is leaving... and Topher Grace is revealing that he is a monster... what? For me, this scene just stands out in stark contrast to the whole rest of the movie. What is really sad is that apparently they had another scene that explained why Topher was on the planet and cut it. I think they should have used that and taken out his reveal at the end so we could focus on the Predators.

On a final note, I really enjoyed this movie the second time around and am looking forward to listening to the commentary. I really like the Predators as they feel like the original without being exactly the same as the original. When I go to see a movie with Predator in the title, that is what I want to see, and unlike the last two films, this time, they gave it to me!

3)

There was no tension. Predator had constant tension and a hurried feeling. In this one they walked around, sat around, walked around....

Walter Goggins was the best part of this movie. He was great in The Shield. He is great in Justified. I'm glad to see him get some big screen work.

After watching PREDATORS again on BluRay, I finally figured out why the make up effects for the classic predator has always bothered me since the first AVP. Here is the Predator from the first movie.

who-else-watched-predators-yesterday-screen-shot-2010-10-22-1.33.05-pm.png-36846d1287769581

And here is the Predator from PREDATORS.

who-else-watched-predators-yesterday-pred2.jpg-36845d1287769581

Why do the side mouth muscles look so flappy? They look awful when put next to the first Predator. While it's certainly a promising improvement over the first AvP predator who's mandibles could barely cover it's mouth, they still can't figure out how keep those side muscles perfectly curved with the mandibles opened and closed.

I keep looking for the 2-disc DVD that actually has special features on it but all i can find are the Blu-Ray and this rinky dink dvd that has like 2 making of things. Even Amazon isn't carrying the complete DVD. What gives?

Ah Jeyl, I wish you hadn't posted that! Now I can't unsee it!

Have you seen the AVP masks when they're not made up and lit and so forth? They're awful. They look like Rubies masks. Putting one next to a Winston mask and comparing the two is enough to make you wince.

Ah Jeyl, I wish you hadn't posted that! Now I can't unsee it!

When your Dad shows you and your sister this film at the age of six, you can never forget the sheer awesomeness of the classic Predator reveal from the first movie. Every detail in the movement and every sound effect from every twitch was engraved in my head like line a musician and his instrument.

When you look at the first Predator, there isn't a whole lot of movement that goes on. It's pretty much just four air pipes making the mandibles move in one direction, with a slight hint of air to make one twitch (LOVED THAT). So the more they try to add to the movement and emotions, the less solid the face looks, and boy it looks floppy. The classic should go back to less is more on the mouth department. Or if not that, FIX THE SIDE LIPS!

But I will say this. The Berserker Predator unmasked was excellent. I loved how ferocious it looked with it's super red eyes, super carved skull and how it's mandibles stretched out horizontally and not diagonally down (Something all the toys missed). I wish we got more shots of the Berserker with his mask off.

Still, if there's going to be another Predator movie, I vote we have three female Predators with one being from each of the so far established three races. That NEEDS to happen!

Last edited:
This new one was tolerable. I think the Pred mouth was flappy because it was more articulated than the original.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back