who can make this paper prop?

Sulla

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Anyone out there with their amazing photo shop abilities want to try on a paper prop project? I was thinking that someone might be generous enough to come up with a set of the "official papers" Mal flashed around for his ship? It'd be an awesome paper prop, really...

Do a search on Ebay for "Firefly Serenity Prop ship's papers" to see what I mean....

I remember seeing them in the show, but never in any detail. Am I wrong? Is there a scene I'm not remember at the moment where get a good look? If we don't get a good look then it opens a lot of room for artistic interpretation. That would really simplify the process. Perhaps there are some real "shipping authorization" legal documents that could be modified for use in the 'Verse?

<div class='quotetop'>(RedTwoX @ May 18 2006, 03:52 PM) [snapback]1246373[/snapback]</div>
I remember seeing them in the show, but never in any detail. Am I wrong? Is there a scene I'm not remember at the moment where get a good look? If we don't get a good look then it opens a lot of room for artistic interpretation. That would really simplify the process. Perhaps there are some real "shipping authorization" legal documents that could be modified for use in the 'Verse?
[/b]
Yeah, that's what I was thinking... Anyone wanna' take up the call?

I just got a full adobe photo shop but I have NEVER used one before and am so novice with it, I am still figuring out all my print options. *sigh* Anyone in the Indianapolis are wanna' come over and show me how to use it? :$

Judging from the eBay one, we can't see much in the show — but they were at the Exewing show in the UK... There could be nice pics somewhere (I have a so-so one).

-Mike

What are the odds that the button-closure leather "envelope" is a found object? It should be stupid-simple to make (no sticking at all from the screen caps shown in the auction, just pop in some snaps and a bar at the back to hold the pages), but save time if we could find a source of ready made ones.

What was the episode that River rattles off the information about the Firefly classfreighter? Simon, River, and Mal are in the infirmary. She rattles off a string of information and Mal comments that she knows more about the ship than he does. That line or two of dialog might be some good information to include in this paper work.

Anyone work logistics for a company that does a lot of shipping? Perhaps there are some generalized shipping forms that could be modified to serve our purposes. Change "State of ______" to "Planet of ______" or "The Systems Alliance". That kind of thing. It would dramatically cut down on the time and work involved.

For what it is, I think the price is pretty reasonable. I would like to get more information about the actual prop and see how close this guys replica comes to the real thing.

-Bryan

I'm a bit uncomfortable about this - the guys obviously out a lot of time and effort into making his very good looking replica.

$50 or so dollars for a nice leather case and paperwork doesn't sound unresonable. He's obviously a fan and a talented PhotoShop artist from the look of the other auctions.

I know it's not recasting, but something about doing this doesn't feel right.

I agree... He told me that the first bid on the thing was less than it cost in material because he has someone custom making his leather cases. He also told me he was going to only make one or two more (I asked because I wanted to bid but would miss the end of the auction being out of town) and include them in a batch of 'verse props for auction.

So why not make our own "invented" ones? It's not recasting. We can use the screen caps to make some of the paperwork and invent the rest for ourselves. There's plenty of resources out there you know.

Plus, the company I work for does a lot of shipping (some international.) I'll ask around and see if I can't get my hands on some of the more interesting paperwork. Maybe I'll just have to play and play with my new adobe and use this as my first paper project? Can you scan images into adobe photoshop and then play with them after opening the images in photo shop? Dear gawd, I'm a novice...

Found these just using yahoo image search:
( the album has more : http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/boozee/shipping/ )

fancy.jpg

exportcertificate.jpg

JAAIsample.jpg

It is not recasting if we ask for pics of the original prop and fill in the blanks with our own material, just as long as we are not trying to duplicate what this other guy has done.

On another note, I would not lay this out in Photoshop... Adobe InDesign or Illustrator would be much more appropriate.

-Bryan

Oh, I like those docs you found through Google... they look cool.

And if the artists who created these would be so kind as to let us use them in these NOT FOR SALE - *FREE* paper props... well, that'd be great:
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/booz...wireframe01.jpg
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/booz...y_wireframe.jpg
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/booz...enity_top01.jpg
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/booz...nity_side01.jpg

Sidewinder and Surfergeek posted them in a thread of mine but I am not sure who made them:
http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?...9116&hl=firefly

Then there are these too (please note the caveat below):
http://lwg3d.org/v3/meshes.php?item=515

<div class='quotetop'></div>
Quoted from the Fireflyfans.net site where I found the above link.
Serenity 3D mesh available for download.
TREYBOR

For those of you who have been seeing my work in the Blue Sun Room, you can now get the mesh from this URL:
http://lwg3d.org/v3/meshes.php?item=515

You may have to log in with the Lightwave Group 3D in order to download it.
http://lwg3d.org/v3/

OK-- now for some guidelines.

If you download this mesh I expect four things to happen:

1. Give me credit for the darn thing. It was 83 hours of hard work and love that went into building it.
2. If you download it--USE IT. Create an image or AVI or something, and post it everywhere....
3. Why? Because I want to show Fox that they made a BIG mistake canceling the show--and after the movie next year-- they should bring it back.
4. If you find any problems with the mesh (polygonal errors or missing textures), let me know so I can correct them and repost it.

3D model stats:
Firefly Transport Vessel "Serenity"
By Sean P. Kennedy (AKA Eromanric / AKA Treybor)
File formats: Lightwave LWO
Polygons: 203,951

Mesh file size: 5.62 MB
textures: (178 textures) 22.5 MB
Zip file: 21.1 MB

LEGAL .. IMPORTANT ...

First, this model is absolutely FREE for NON-COMMERCIAL use.

If you use it for still images or animations, please give my name in the credits for the model. I spent A LOT of time trying to perfect this model so please give credit where credit is due. If you use it, please e-mail me, where I can view the image/animation.

If you want to use it commercially you must first contact Fox Television. No commercial reproduction or re-use of these elements permitted without the express written consent of the Artist, Sean Patrick Kennedy and Fox Television.

If you do display any of this material in any kind of non-profit public display, especially web sites, you MUST give written credit to Sean Patrick Kennedy displayed prominently on or directly underneath the material. The association between the artwork and the artist's credit must be clearly visible.

Copyright and Trademarks for Firefly and Serenity intellectual property must also be displayed if the artwork in question includes such content. The Firefly series is owned by Fox Television - the Serenity motion picture is owned by Universal Pictures.

Enjoy... [/b]

<div class='quotetop'>(Blad @ May 19 2006, 05:10 AM) [snapback]1246737[/snapback]</div>
I know it's not recasting, but something about doing this doesn't feel right.
[/b]

I appreciate your concerns, but I don't share them. This is no different than making yet another replica of Darth Vader's lightsaber. We are making a replica of a prop from a TV show, just like this guy did. If we bought his prop, scanned in the pages, printed them, and sold it... then we would have a problem. However, I see no reason to use any of his material at all. This is a "from scratch" RPF research project. The only thing this eBay seller has contributed is to show us that it can be done giving inspiriation for us to develop our own representation.

I saved a lot of the pics from the show Sith Sheriff Brody mentioned, but I don't remember the papers being in there. I'll dig through them this week end and see what I can find. I'll also pull out my DVD's. PErhaps I can find some screen caps and info River rattled off.

OR . . .

You could travel over to propcircle, where the guy that made the ones in that auction is talking about them in this thread. He goes by the name of Whitefall. No need to reinvent the wheel if you live near the tire store.

<div class='quotetop'>(RedTwoX @ May 18 2006, 06:29 PM) [snapback]1246453[/snapback]</div>
What was the episode that River rattles off the information about the Firefly classfreighter? Simon, River, and Mal are in the infirmary. She rattles off a string of information and Mal comments that she knows more about the ship than he does. That line or two of dialog might be some good information to include in this paper work.

Anyone work logistics for a company that does a lot of shipping? Perhaps there are some generalized shipping forms that could be modified to serve our purposes. Change "State of ______" to "Planet of ______" or "The Systems Alliance". That kind of thing. It would dramatically cut down on the time and work involved.
[/b]

Midbulk transport, standard radion-accelerator core, classcode 03-K64, "Firefly".
From "Train Job"

Thanks to TRISTAN at fireflyfans.net for this tid bit of info... Wikipedia was sadly lacking in this line from this episode. :rolleyes

Thanks Darkknight that's really what I mean.

<div class='quotetop'>(Darkknight0667 @ May 19 2006, 03:36 PM) [snapback]1246839[/snapback]</div>
OR . . .

You could travel over to propcircle, where the guy that made the ones in that auction is talking about them in this thread. He goes by the name of Whitefall. No need to reinvent the wheel if you live near the tire store.
[/b]

This is not the same as recasting, it's also not the same as the one-millionth Lightsabre version.

If the intention is to make a bigger, better, faster version then great. But it seems like the intention is to make a 'cheap' version, which if I was the seller would be like a kick in the teeth frankly.

The guy is available over on propcircle, I think it would be nice, or at the very least polite to see if he can do a run.

That's my 50p anyway.

- Edited to add, which now seems to be the case as half the people in this thread are over on Propcircle asking him to do just that. :)

<div class='quotetop'>(Blad @ May 19 2006, 10:34 AM) [snapback]1246870[/snapback]</div>
This is not the same as recasting, it's also not the same as the one-millionth Lightsabre version.

If the intention is to make a bigger, better, faster version then great. But it seems like the intention is to make a 'cheap' version, which if I was the seller would be like a kick in the teeth frankly.

The guy is available over on propcircle, I think it would be nice, or at the very least polite to see if he can do a run.

That's my 50p anyway.

- Edited to add, which now seems to be the case as half the people in this thread are over on Propcircle asking him to do just that. :)
[/b]

I just have a totally different impression of the initial intent. Perhaps I'm the one that's wrong. The impression I got was: "Hey, this would be a cool prop replica. Some other guy did a version, so it can be done. Now let's see what we can do with it"

The only reason this isn't like the one-millionth Lightsaber version is that there is 29 years worth of Star Wars fans making lightsabers. 20 Years from now there well be just as many sets of "Firefly Papers" as there are Darth Vader lightsabers today. This guy just has the distinction of being the first that we are aware of to get a finished replica and sell it.

Again, I whole heartedly agree that it would craptastic to buy this guys work, dupe it, and sell it. I just don't think that's what we are talking about here. I believe we talking about developing our own, RPF Flyfly Documents Project.

On to the business at hand:
Thanks for the screen quote Sulla. I think that information should be worked into the documents.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back