who can make this paper prop?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Sulla, May 18, 2006.

1. Sulla

Sulla Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Anyone out there with their amazing photo shop abilities want to try on a paper prop project? I was thinking that someone might be generous enough to come up with a set of the "official papers" Mal flashed around for his ship? It'd be an awesome paper prop, really...

Do a search on Ebay for "Firefly Serenity Prop ship's papers" to see what I mean....

2. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

I remember seeing them in the show, but never in any detail. Am I wrong? Is there a scene I'm not remember at the moment where get a good look? If we don't get a good look then it opens a lot of room for artistic interpretation. That would really simplify the process. Perhaps there are some real "shipping authorization" legal documents that could be modified for use in the 'Verse?

3. Sulla

<div class='quotetop'>(RedTwoX @ May 18 2006, 03:52 PM) [snapback]1246373[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking... Anyone wanna' take up the call?

I just got a full adobe photo shop but I have NEVER used one before and am so novice with it, I am still figuring out all my print options. *sigh* Anyone in the Indianapolis are wanna' come over and show me how to use it? :$

4. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Judging from the eBay one, we can't see much in the show — but they were at the Exewing show in the UK... There could be nice pics somewhere (I have a so-so one).

-Mike

5. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

What are the odds that the button-closure leather "envelope" is a found object? It should be stupid-simple to make (no sticking at all from the screen caps shown in the auction, just pop in some snaps and a bar at the back to hold the pages), but save time if we could find a source of ready made ones.

What was the episode that River rattles off the information about the Firefly classfreighter? Simon, River, and Mal are in the infirmary. She rattles off a string of information and Mal comments that she knows more about the ship than he does. That line or two of dialog might be some good information to include in this paper work.

Anyone work logistics for a company that does a lot of shipping? Perhaps there are some generalized shipping forms that could be modified to serve our purposes. Change "State of ______" to "Planet of ______" or "The Systems Alliance". That kind of thing. It would dramatically cut down on the time and work involved.

6. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

wow...thats alot of text, lol. Wonder what his reference was...

7. SPDOmegaRanger

SPDOmegaRanger Well-Known Member

man those ones in the ebay auction looks kick * too bad about the price tho

8. Walter

Walter Sr Member

For what it is, I think the price is pretty reasonable. I would like to get more information about the actual prop and see how close this guys replica comes to the real thing.

-Bryan

9. Mike J.

Here's what I got (un-touched and retouched):

[attachmentid=8111]

[attachmentid=8112]

-Mike

10. Blad

Blad Sr Member

I'm a bit uncomfortable about this - the guys obviously out a lot of time and effort into making his very good looking replica.

$50 or so dollars for a nice leather case and paperwork doesn't sound unresonable. He's obviously a fan and a talented PhotoShop artist from the look of the other auctions.

I know it's not recasting, but something about doing this doesn't feel right.

11. Sulla

I agree... He told me that the first bid on the thing was less than it cost in material because he has someone custom making his leather cases. He also told me he was going to only make one or two more (I asked because I wanted to bid but would miss the end of the auction being out of town) and include them in a batch of 'verse props for auction.

So why not make our own "invented" ones? It's not recasting. We can use the screen caps to make some of the paperwork and invent the rest for ourselves. There's plenty of resources out there you know.

Plus, the company I work for does a lot of shipping (some international.) I'll ask around and see if I can't get my hands on some of the more interesting paperwork. Maybe I'll just have to play and play with my new adobe and use this as my first paper project? Can you scan images into adobe photoshop and then play with them after opening the images in photo shop? Dear gawd, I'm a novice...

12. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

His wallet is off too. The corners are far too rounded.

13. Sulla

14. Walter

Walter Sr Member

It is not recasting if we ask for pics of the original prop and fill in the blanks with our own material, just as long as we are not trying to duplicate what this other guy has done.

On another note, I would not lay this out in Photoshop... Adobe InDesign or Illustrator would be much more appropriate.

-Bryan

Oh, I like those docs you found through Google... they look cool.

15. Sulla

And if the artists who created these would be so kind as to let us use them in these NOT FOR SALE - *FREE* paper props... well, that'd be great:
    http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/booz...wireframe01.jpg
    http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/booz...y_wireframe.jpg
    http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/booz...enity_top01.jpg
    http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/booz...nity_side01.jpg

Sidewinder and Surfergeek posted them in a thread of mine but I am not sure who made them:
    http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?...9116&hl=firefly

Then there are these too (please note the caveat below):
    http://lwg3d.org/v3/meshes.php?item=515

<div class='quotetop'></div>

16. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Blad @ May 19 2006, 05:10 AM) [snapback]1246737[/snapback]</div>

I appreciate your concerns, but I don't share them. This is no different than making yet another replica of Darth Vader's lightsaber. We are making a replica of a prop from a TV show, just like this guy did. If we bought his prop, scanned in the pages, printed them, and sold it... then we would have a problem. However, I see no reason to use any of his material at all. This is a "from scratch" RPF research project. The only thing this eBay seller has contributed is to show us that it can be done giving inspiriation for us to develop our own representation.

I saved a lot of the pics from the show Sith Sheriff Brody mentioned, but I don't remember the papers being in there. I'll dig through them this week end and see what I can find. I'll also pull out my DVD's. PErhaps I can find some screen caps and info River rattled off.

17. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

OR . . .

You could travel over to propcircle, where the guy that made the ones in that auction is talking about them in this thread. He goes by the name of Whitefall. No need to reinvent the wheel if you live near the tire store.

18. Sulla

<div class='quotetop'>(RedTwoX @ May 18 2006, 06:29 PM) [snapback]1246453[/snapback]</div>
    Midbulk transport, standard radion-accelerator core, classcode 03-K64, "Firefly".
    From "Train Job"

Thanks to TRISTAN at fireflyfans.net for this tid bit of info... Wikipedia was sadly lacking in this line from this episode. :rolleyes

19. Blad

Blad Sr Member

Thanks Darkknight that's really what I mean.

<div class='quotetop'>(Darkknight0667 @ May 19 2006, 03:36 PM) [snapback]1246839[/snapback]</div>
    This is not the same as recasting, it's also not the same as the one-millionth Lightsabre version.

If the intention is to make a bigger, better, faster version then great. But it seems like the intention is to make a 'cheap' version, which if I was the seller would be like a kick in the teeth frankly.

The guy is available over on propcircle, I think it would be nice, or at the very least polite to see if he can do a run.

That's my 50p anyway.

- Edited to add, which now seems to be the case as half the people in this thread are over on Propcircle asking him to do just that. :)

20. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Blad @ May 19 2006, 10:34 AM) [snapback]1246870[/snapback]</div>
    I just have a totally different impression of the initial intent. Perhaps I'm the one that's wrong. The impression I got was: "Hey, this would be a cool prop replica. Some other guy did a version, so it can be done. Now let's see what we can do with it"

The only reason this isn't like the one-millionth Lightsaber version is that there is 29 years worth of Star Wars fans making lightsabers. 20 Years from now there well be just as many sets of "Firefly Papers" as there are Darth Vader lightsabers today. This guy just has the distinction of being the first that we are aware of to get a finished replica and sell it.

Again, I whole heartedly agree that it would craptastic to buy this guys work, dupe it, and sell it. I just don't think that's what we are talking about here. I believe we talking about developing our own, RPF Flyfly Documents Project.

On to the business at hand:
    Thanks for the screen quote Sulla. I think that information should be worked into the documents.

21. Sulla

<div class='quotetop'>(RedTwoX @ May 19 2006, 11:59 AM) [snapback]1246892[/snapback]</div>
    I just have a totally different impression of the initial intent. Perhaps I'm the one that's wrong. The impression I got was: "Hey, this would be a cool prop replica. Some other guy did a version, so it can be done. Now let's see what we can do with it"

The only reason this isn't like the one-millionth Lightsaber version is that there is 29 years worth of Star Wars fans making lightsabers. 20 Years from now there well be just as many sets of "Firefly Papers" as there are Darth Vader lightsabers today. This guy just has the distinction of being the first that we are aware of to get a finished replica and sell it.

Again, I whole heartedly agree that it would craptastic to buy this guys work, dupe it, and sell it. I just don't think that's what we are talking about here. I believe we talking about developing our own, RPF Flyfly Documents Project.

On to the business at hand:
    Thanks for the screen quote Sulla. I think that information should be worked into the documents.
    [/b][/quote]

I agree... making our own original from scratch documents here. No "resculpting" the fine work of the individual who made this fiorst one.

Sure thing about the quote, RedTwoX :D Glad to be of service.

I am trying to help convince the guy to make available (for sale) the pages sans leather for purchasing, but I'd still ike to try my (our) hand at making one as well. Are there still some folks hre interested in this?

22. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

As I said above, why try to reinvent the wheel now that we know someone that's already done it? If Whitefall can be persuaded to either supply the file or print a run of these (and the more folks that show interest, the more likely he'll be to do this), why not show the innovator some love? If he declines, you can always go ahead and produce a new set.

23. Mike J.

<<Nevermind>>

24. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Darkknight0667 @ May 19 2006, 11:19 AM) [snapback]1246903[/snapback]</div>

Some of us enjoy building wheels :thumbsup

I'm sure a lot of folks here are just interested in the acquisition of prop replicas for their collections. For example, it is not hard at all to find a Darth Vader lightsaber, already constructed to a high standard, ready to sit on your shelf and collect dust. All you have to do is throw enough money at the current owner to convince them it is better off in your collection than their's.

However, there are some of us who are "prop builders" as much (if not more) as we are "prop collectors". For us it is one thing to own a Darth Vader Lightsaber, but it is another thing entirely to own a Darth Vader Lightsaber which we researched, scrounged parts for, and constructed our selves. Yes, we are reinventing the wheel everytime... and we like it that way :love

25. Sulla

<div class='quotetop'>(RedTwoX @ May 19 2006, 12:28 PM) [snapback]1246909[/snapback]</div>

Some of us enjoy building wheels :thumbsup

I'm sure a lot of folks here are just interested in the acquisition of prop replicas for their collections. For example, it is not hard at all to find a Darth Vader lightsaber, already constructed to a high standard, ready to sit on your shelf and collect dust. All you have to do is throw enough money at the current owner to convince them it is better off in your collection than their's.

However, there are some of us who are "prop builders" as much (if not more) as we are "prop collectors". For us it is one thing to own a Darth Vader Lightsaber, but it is another thing entirely to own a Darth Vader Lightsaber which we researched, scrounged parts for, and constructed our selves. Yes, we are reinventing the wheel everytime... and we like it that way :love
    [/b][/quote]

I second that. I own exactly five of the dozens upon dozens of props I've created (not counting scale models.) If I don't have a prop/model/poject to work on, I am at a loss. :)

Though I don't mind buying a shiny new set of tires and making my own from scratch just for the heck of it. :D

26. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

For those not wanting to "reinvent the wheel"... the original creator has offered to do essentially an at cost run. Check out the thread linked above.

27. Darth Brass

Darth Brass Sr Member

Woo hoo. Now, who wants to do the leather piece?

28. Walter

Walter Sr Member

Ok, now his offer for the at cost is MORE than reasonable. This guy is EXTREMELY nice to offer such fine pieces.

-Bryan

29. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

Is his at cost run already cut and ready? Not like the money would have to be cut out of a sheet, etc.?

30. SurferGeek

<div class='quotetop'>(gnrlotto @ May 19 2006, 02:25 PM) [snapback]1247098[/snapback]</div>

Why? Many of the at cost projects that have been done here required some trimming.

31. Walter

Walter Sr Member

With a paper cutter right around the corner at kinkos I am not going to worry about whether or not the sheets are cut, I am just going to be grateful that this person has been so nice as to offer these pages at cost.

-Bryan

32. lgtsbr

lgtsbr Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

who here is willing to organize the "bulk buy" - I personally don't have the time for another prop forum....

any chance he would share the files with us? I know I have been eyeballing his maps, but the "no shipping" info bothers me, especially since he didn't seem willing to work with me when I requested shipping rates, he wanted to wait till after the sale to give me anything really.... :unsure

Dave

33. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm a little confused. Where has he acquired all the text from on the document that was on display at Honiton? Has he made it up, or does he have access to the original?

I've spoken to the owner of the original document and he told me that though the prop was only seen for a few seconds, every word on the screen-used applies directly to Mal, the Serenity & the Firefly universe.

34. SurferGeek

<div class='quotetop'>(Birdie @ May 19 2006, 05:56 PM) [snapback]1247216[/snapback]</div>

I guess we'll find out when we get them. I would imagine that ones created here would be made up as well and barring all of the text being greek... Unless the original owner would allow access to the document(s) it's all guesswork.

35. SPDOmegaRanger

SPDOmegaRanger Well-Known Member

sorry to any one who took offence to what i said didnt mean to come that way, it was just me mouthing off cause i cant buy anything for awhile

36. Darth Brass

Darth Brass Sr Member

Okay, I emailed him and he said that in regards to the text:

ME: "Quick question: Are these direct recreations of the screen-used papers, or idealized?"

HIM: "Idealized. I took what I could from the original, and created the rest."

I'm still getting some, just thought y'all'd like to know.

37. Walter

Walter Sr Member

Darth Brass,

Thanks for dropping him a line and finding out. I am with you, I still cant wait to get a set. :)

-Bryan

38. Mike J.

Just got mine in the mail, and they are nice.

Laser printed, too. Yummy :)

-Mike

39. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

I got mine today, as well. They look fanatastic. Very shiny.

Now, I just have to make the wallet.

40. Walter

Walter Sr Member

Oh good. Maybe I will have something to look forward to when I get home tonight.

So how are you guys thinking we should approach the construction of the wallet? Is it just a heavy piece of leather with rivits in it?

-Bryan

41. Mike J.

I believe it has three brass snap-buttons as well.

-Mike

For reference:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Mike

42. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

It looks like the papers are held in place with a brass bar (between 3/4" and 1" wide"). I'd guess that the fasteners through the bar and papers would be some sort of screw post (Chicago screws?) to allow for more papers to be added if/when transferring ownership after a sale.

43. Mike J.

Ideas on non-canon stuff to add to your papers:

Captain's certificate / Master's certificate

Radio / comms Lic.

Honorable discharge from Independent Forces

Sworn oath of allegiance to the Alliance

-Mike

44. SurferGeek

<div class='quotetop'>(Sith Sheriff Brody @ May 26 2006, 09:27 PM) [snapback]1251499[/snapback]</div>

Mike,

I would liken the ship's papers to the registration and insurance you carry in your car. I like the idea of the radio/comms and captian's cert stuff but the discharge and oath papers I don't think would be kept in there. Just stuff related to the ship and it's operation. Just a thought...

45. Mike J.

46. SurferGeek