Where to begin?

Kid Omega

Hi everyone! Sorry if this is in the wrong area, I don't use the site much and I'm not sure where everything is, but I figured you guys could help me.

I only have about one year of barely any makeup experience, and was actually in a contest recently (for fun ad experience--I knew I'd lose but it was worth a shot) and, basically I've been encouraged greatly by two of the judges to not disappoint them next year.
They recommended that I check out makeups that other people have done and try that out for myself and practice, practice, practice!

My problem is...I'm not sure where to begin? SFX makeup is such a broad thing, I have no idea what I should be practicing. In all honestly, I'm not even sure if I have a good set of brushes and tools--I don't know what brushes are good to use for what techniques and things like that. I took a class for one semester, but that didn't really help much.

I know the Stan Winston School is an excellent place for learning, but I'm currently on a tight budget (and I'm not sure how it works, either. Do you get to save the videos you watch or are they only available to you when you have a subscription?)

Anyway, before this gets long winded, I'm pretty much just looking for some guidance. Any help at all would be much appreciated!

Re: Stan Winston school, you get to keep the videos you buy, whether streaming or DVD.

I think Mike Spatola's Monstrous Makeup Manual is an excellent place to start in Makeup Effects. Think of it as an updated Dick Smith's Do-It-Yourself Monster Make-up Handbook, with different projects you can try out. Really sound information, too. If it's specifically makeup effects you want to learn, that book is the biggest bang for your buck.

But you're right that doing this isn't cheap. If you want to do it well, it's going to take some investment. But you can save some money and still get valuable practice starting with gelatin appliances and ultracal molds.

Don't worry about if you're using the "right" tools yet. You'll know when you need to get different ones.

As for what you should be practicing, though, just do what interests you! There's no right or wrong path. Pick a project you want to accomplish and go for it.

Those books look awesome! (Too bad there isn't an option on the website to buy them separately. Just another thing to save for :b)
Thanks for the advice!

I think I might just start out by practicing anatomical structure. Basic medical anatomy pictures on Google should be good for that, I imagine.

Do you have any recommendations on where to get supplies for making prosthetics?

Scroll down this page and you can get them separately, and you can save money by getting the digital version. Book 1 is the one you really want. http://www.monstrousmakeupmanual.com/#!buynow/ck0q

Supplies depends on where you're located. On the West Coast, the Los Angeles makeup stores carry everything you need. I use Frends Beaty and Motion Picture FX for just about everything. You'll want to find a local distributor for plasters and stones if you're getting your other supplies shipped, though. The shipping gets ridiculous because of the weight.

Anatomy is a fantastic place to start.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back