Where the heck are all the Amban Rifles??

wgdesign

So I made the mistake (or otherwise) of downloading a well known free lot of STL's for Mando's Amban rifle, only to find it has some pretty basic errors to it.

So whats the definitive 3D model of it? Who makes it? Does it even exist or am I on my own again, modelling it from scratch?

Already built one? Show us what ya got!

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2018-10-12-at-10.48.14-PM.png
    Screen-Shot-2018-10-12-at-10.48.14-PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 62
  • Screen Shot 2023-07-02 at 7.04.24 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-02 at 7.04.24 pm.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2023-07-02 at 7.03.48 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-02 at 7.03.48 pm.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 60
Yeah that's the 'Straeker' STL's or something. Still have no idea how accurate it is though, although it does look on the money.

Outer Rim Workshop on Etsy has the most accurate file available imo. He used a ton of reference from Star Wars Celebration including a scan of the real rifle. Not sure if I’m allowed to link it but if you Google “Outer Rim Workshop Etsy” his page should come up.

Outer Rim Workshop on Etsy has the most accurate file available imo. He used a ton of reference from Star Wars Celebration including a scan of the real rifle. Not sure if I’m allowed to link it but if you Google “Outer Rim Workshop Etsy” his page should come up.
Yeah I was eyeballing that one yesterday. Does seem very accurate and great value, too.

Man I love this prop. I’ve been wanting to make one of these for a while but other projects have taken priority.

Currently rearranging my shop but plan on doing a mixed build (resin, machined metal, wood) when I get it all settled. I just had to pick the hottest week to start moving a lathe and mill around. Might have to squeeze this into my build schedule this fall so I don’t sweat to death lol

Actually I've been messaging with Mark the past few days - seems like he's really done his homework.

I'd definitely take a wooden stock if someone decided to make one, but I've had good luck SLS printing 'wooden' parts and then hydro-dipping them so I'm not sure the cost would be worth it for me. Same deal with metal parts - I can always weight parts with ballast.

Actually I've been messaging with Mark the past few days - seems like he's really done his homework.

I'd definitely take a wooden stock if someone decided to make one, but I've had good luck SLS printing 'wooden' parts and then hydro-dipping them so I'm not sure the cost would be worth it for me. Same deal with metal parts - I can always weight parts with ballast.
Surely the geometry of the stock wouldn't be too complicated to CNC right? would certainly require less "clean up" than printing and hydro-dipping

Surely the geometry of the stock wouldn't be too complicated to CNC right? would certainly require less "clean up" than printing and hydro-dipping
Fairly easy and straight forward process. Just index the piece for easy flipping and you’re in business. I’m not a huge fan of wood working so I always resort to CNC if I can.

If I get some down time in the next few weeks I’ll see if I can track down some nice wood and get one cut up.

Edit: if I can keep it cheap and get proper permission from the designer to sell just the stock I’ll see about opening it up to a small batch run.

At the onset of the show craze I hit up the Blaster Factory as they were releasing the blaster pistol to see if there was interest in a machined rifle, unfortunately nadda. I've looked into getting pieces CNC'd by converting the STLs to STEPs, but it would be a small fortune to do a one off. I did some redesign on the Straeker STLs to make the extractor/barrel and receiver line up as if it were "realistic" and then had the barrel done in aluminum, just under 400. Got to the stock rings and scope mounts they ran just under 1K and decided it was a pipe dream. Would be in 100% if some crazy soul decided to take it on as an actual group project. It'd be a really nice companion piece to the JJ Industries aluminum spear...

Last edited:
“I hit up the Blaster Factory as they were releasing the blaster pistol to see if there was interest in a machined rifle, unfortunately nadda.”

The BF Bowcaster is $1400. I’d have to think the rifle would be comparable to that in terms of production complexity? That to say it seems there is some precedent for Field Marshal doing larger more complex replicas. Maybe if everyone signed a petition :)

Offering the parts individually, as he usually does would make it more palatable to those of us who are budget minded…

The basic shape of the buttstock would be fairly straight-forward. American Walnut here in Australia in the 170x35x1000mm size is $104.00.....so curious to know how much routing would cost. Might look into it :cool:

“I hit up the Blaster Factory as they were releasing the blaster pistol to see if there was interest in a machined rifle, unfortunately nadda.”

The BF Bowcaster is $1400. I’d have to think the rifle would be comparable to that in terms of production complexity? That to say it seems there is some precedent for Field Marshal doing larger more complex replicas. Maybe if everyone signed a petition :)

Offering the parts individually, as he usually does would make it more palatable to those of us who are budget minded…
I think the major issue is the fact that it's completely custom built for the show and where to start with a design, unless he were to work with one of the 3D artists that's already worked one up that's "close enough". The other large/pricey kits were all known parts, this is true interpretation and then replication. I could easily see a 2K price tag per rifle. Then of course there's the "it was destroyed in the show" factor. Although it may not mean much to those that really want one (like myself), there were a LOT of buyers that were pissed after spending $350 on a toy spaceship that was obliterated in the show after the initial orders were taken and processed.
The basic shape of the buttstock would be fairly straight-forward. American Walnut here in Australia in the 170x35x1000mm size is $104.00.....so curious to know how much routing would cost. Might look into it :cool:
I had considered going to Woodchuck to get the one I was working done. Again, if Blaster Factory/Field Marshall were to collaborate with some other designers/makers it might make for a better project. I'm not holding out hope, but would love to see it happen, regardless of who does it.

I think the major issue is the fact that it's completely custom built for the show and where to start with a design, unless he were to work with one of the 3D artists that's already worked one up that's "close enough". The other large/pricey kits were all known parts, this is true interpretation and then replication.
True, it would be closer to what BF did with the Mandalorian handheld blaster. (At least I dont believe they had access to an actual Bergman No. 1. to scan.)

$2k would definitely be pushing the envelope for many in terms of what many would spend for such a prop. Maybe they could follow the approach that Deagostini uses with their Millennium Falcon replica, and divide it into bite sized and more affordable chunks.

Speaking of JJ Industries, they’ve mentioned in their livestream a few times that the rifle is in their list of projects to tackle. Their work is always quality so maybe you guys will get your wish sometime in the future.
Personally would love to see Luke tackle this. Of all my Mando kit pieces (and others), their stuff stands apart in quality and craftsmanship every time. I don't know him personally, but from my optic he seems to "get it" when it comes to community and customer service.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back