Whats in a name

TuaCathach

right after spending a lot of time on the internet i'm seeing people calling the Predator a "yajuta or however you spell it" i mean come on the **** the orignial concept and name of the creature was Predator so why bother changing it. thats like your mother calling you john and then someome deciding one day we are going to call you paul... and before any of you go telling me that its predator in "their own language".. says who i mean has someone sat down with a predator and done a predator-english dictionary...

Your thoughts guys!!

lol.

welcome to one of my pet hates.

YAUTJA. and pred language bah.

sounds more like TW*T YOU ARE, to me.

probably came from the comics, which have taken all sorts of liberties in my opinion. hate the word. And for the record his name is.

PREDATOR

lol.

welcome to one of my pet hates.

YAUTJA. and pred language bah.

sounds more like TW*T YOU ARE, to me.

probably came from the comics, which have taken all sorts of liberties in my opinion. hate the word. And for the record his name is.

PREDATOR
Here here

Yep, just leave it with PREDATOR... Giving it other names and languages and "Yautja writings", scenes from the home planet and so on, takes the "mystique and magic" out of this creature.

So, let's leave it like whe know him... A hunter from a planet we don't know! Leave all the questions open ;-)

Lol, well I guess I get to be the stick in the mud. I mean waht mystique did this character have? I have loved the predator since I was a child. I never thought he was mystical or full of magic. He was an alien of some sort. He came from a planet that obviously had more of them. it is an intelligent being so it has some what of a social pattern. Unless its a sexual then it has to have a social pattern to procreate. All that being said it basically is nothing unusual about them other than being an alien. Guess I dont see different aliens all that different because I am also a star wars nerd so meh its just another being from space.

I dont like the word Yautja at all. But hey, they have to have a language of some sort to communicate. Too bad they had to use such a stupid word.

I understand its all about the person who is watching so you cant have your cake and eat it too. I mean you guys like the magic and mystery. I would rather know how the world works, but I will admit that if a stupid writer gets a hold of it we get stupid results.

I think the term "Yautja" is relevant to be honest...
The term "Predator" is used to describe an animal/being/person/alien etc etc, which stalks and kills its prey in order to eat it or make a trophy of it..

So calling the Alien in Predator a predator is very vague in my opinion, the film's title simply suggests the idea of an animal/being/alien whatever stalking human prey, in this case arnie and the boys...

So the term Yautja distinguishes the alien from other beings in the universe... i mean u could call the xenomorphs predator too...

just my thoughts on it

Yeah, I prefer Predator myself. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the whole "Pred language" thing, including the word "Yautja" was created by Steve Perry, author of several Alien, Predator, and AVP novels. While he is a great story teller, I think he strayed a bit too far when having Preds "talk" to each other and other beings in their own "language".

Just a tidbit of info, darkbladeclan reminded me that Aliens do in fact have an "official" name. While not stated in any of the films, it can be seen at the top of the screen on the Alien Quadrilogy when choosing between the Director's Cut of the films or the Theatrical Release. It is called "Internecivus raptus", meaning "murderous thief". Just thought it was informative.

Yeah, I prefer Predator myself. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the whole "Pred language" thing, including the word "Yautja" was created by Steve Perry, author of several Alien, Predator, and AVP novels. While he is a great story teller, I think he strayed a bit too far when having Preds "talk" to each other and other beings in their own "language".

Just a tidbit of info, darkbladeclan reminded me that Aliens do in fact have an "official" name. While not stated in any of the films, it can be seen at the top of the screen on the Alien Quadrilogy when choosing between the Director's Cut of the films or the Theatrical Release. It is called "Internecivus raptus", meaning "murderous thief". Just thought it was informative.

I dont think he strayed too far to be honest dude, surely these intelligent beings who have mastered intergalactic travel can speak to each other.....!!!!!!! otherwsie they might still be bashing rocks together and eating bugs...

I dont think he strayed too far to be honest dude, surely these intelligent beings who have mastered intergalactic travel can speak to each other.....!!!!!!! otherwsie they might still be bashing rocks together and eating bugs...

I'm not saying they can't "speak" to each other, so much as they don't actually seem to use words or sentences. From what I can see, it's all a series of clicks, growls, snarls, and roars coupled with body gestures. For example, in the Unrated AVP, when the Pred trio discover their cannons gone from the sarcophagus, Celtic, rather than saying in Pred "words", "You, go that way!" to Scar, he simply snarls and points in the direction he wanted Scar to go, which Scar seemed to understand perfectly.

Maybe they are telepathtic beings..communicating silently and the growls and clicks ect are war cries!!!

Either wayy i dont think even fox studios knows at this point...lol

Although the idea of Preds or Yautja having a language seems kind of silly, Lodderak is right, it would have to be thus. You can't develop interstellar travel, complex weaponry, camouflage, first aid etc without having a more detailed communication method than just pointing and giving vague potentially misinterpreted directions. Maybe on the hunt they stick to low volume grunts, gestures and clicks (kind of like the military, or SWAT teams) but outside the hunting realm so to speak they would need a language or more detailed communication method.

its not like renameing. its the species name people!
predator=yautja
human=homo sapien

isnt easy to understand now? :)

YautjaSlayer

This is how I have always viewed this subject, I saw it as more of a generalised term for the 'Predator' race not like another name. No more than you would call another human 'Human'.

-Sekular

lets be happy they didnt incorporate the pred language skills into AVP/AVP:r. Id say stick to the comic/novels. The movies always center around the human characters, so why would they give the preds an oppurtunity to use their language. It is pretty obvious that they must have some type of communication skills besides the animalistic ones.
Besides, i rather steve perrys take on the predator alot better than the AVP movies

I have way too many issues and so much hatred for the novels you can't even begin to understand. Not to mention the douche who came up with the "Predator Alphabet." Wow, that's just silly. Whens the last time you even touched a girl? So a galactically superior species' system of lettering and such is based upon our "A B C D E?" Come on.

The guy who wrote that Predators hair is woven into dredlocks is a douchebag. Here's why... he didn't do his research. That is one of the most annoying things that I can think of.

Well, if he didnt use the A B C D E method in his novel, how else would he have done it? We have to read the novels, therefore he used our alphabet so we could see what their words would sound like if we heard it. Itd be retarded if he used tbe pred binary digits instead. We woulddnt know wat the hell it said!

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back