What would cause my paint to spray like this?

ower

Any clue what would cause my paint to spray like this? Damaged needle, too much reducer.. not enough, not enough air? It's from the Createx Wicked line and according to them it should be good to go straight from the bottle depending on tip, but for this spray I'd gone 25% reduced, I also believe I'm spraying at about 20PSI.. would have to double check that as I don't have the gauge in front of me.

20150409_100312.jpg

Thanks guys, I'll give that a try. This was a old helmet I use for testing various stuff on before moving to the real peice. I just realized I did spray over a clear coat from a previous experiment. so I'm guessing that's it. I'll sand and prime and give it another go, that way i can elimiate both the different paints and surface contamination Rogue Trooper suggested as well.

What paint were you using and what clear coat was it? This looks pretty cool and if it could be replicated it might be a really useful technique.

What paint were you using and what clear coat was it? This looks pretty cool and if it could be replicated it might be a really useful technique.

It was either The Rustoleum Crystal clear Enamel or the Rustoleum 2x Ultra clear and the orange was Createx Auto Air colors Metallic Burnt Orange

i have had similar things happen when spraying metallic silver rustoleum over black gloss krylon. . the silver seemed to pool up the way water beads off a hydrophobic surface like glass.
20150417_004046.jpg

You can get an interesting effect using this to your advantage. Using 2 different hammered metal sprays from rustoleum you can get a kinda pitted rust appearance.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back