What sabers will MR do in CE?

Gytheran

Sr Member
Originally posted by Avalon X@Feb 2 2006, 09:47 PM
You think they'll go and do council member sabers?


Will they do unlimited runs of everything they've done? I know this has been asked before, but this idea concerns me... and I'm not even as heavily invested as some here.
[snapback]1174790[/snapback]​

I think it's possible. Since the CE line is using resin, I could see MR making all resin council sabers.
 

JediCarl

Well-Known Member
Originally posted by Avalon X@Feb 2 2006, 11:47 PM
You think they'll go and do council member sabers?


Will they do unlimited runs of everything they've done? I know this has been asked before, but this idea concerns me... and I'm not even as heavily invested as some here.
[snapback]1174790[/snapback]​
I hope they do all of them as CEs, because that line is not meant for diehard prop replica people. The LEs will continue to serve that purpose. Rather, the CEs will be for the rest of collectors and hobbyists out there who would like some cool lightsaber replicas without having to spend a small fortune on them.

Also, the explosion in "Star Wars" costuming had a huge impact as well because MR is aware that there are many folks who would buy decent lightsaber replicas for their costumes as long as they didn't have to spend $300-400 on each one and worry about its f'in collectability.

But I'm sure the prop elitists will start their wailing and gnashing of teeth on this soon, right on cue.
 

Banquo Fett

Well-Known Member
Originally posted by JediCarl+Feb 3 2006, 04:01 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JediCarl @ Feb 3 2006, 04:01 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Avalon X
@Feb 2 2006, 11:47 PM
You think they'll go and do council member sabers?


Will they do unlimited runs of everything they've done? I know this has been asked before, but this idea concerns me... and I'm not even as heavily invested as some here.
[snapback]1174790[/snapback]​
I hope they do all of them as CEs, because that line is not meant for diehard prop replica people. The LEs will continue to serve that purpose. Rather, the CEs will be for the rest of collectors and hobbyists out there who would like some cool lightsaber replicas without having to spend a small fortune on them.

Also, the explosion in "Star Wars" costuming had a huge impact as well because MR is aware that there are many folks who would buy decent lightsaber replicas for their costumes as long as they didn't have to spend $300-400 on each one and worry about its f'in collectability.

But I'm sure the prop elitists will start their wailing and gnashing of teeth on this soon, right on cue.
[snapback]1174796[/snapback]​
[/b]

Somebody's got a LOT of strong opinions. Maybe a little anger too. Gooood. It gives you FOCUS.

B)
 

JediCarl

Well-Known Member
My apologies. It's just that spending too much time in MR or SDS/AA related threads on the internet can have that affect on a person.


Seriously, though, I figured I would launch a pre-emptive strike (i.e., a nice dose of rationality) against those who will inevitably bash MR over this CE line.
 

Banquo Fett

Well-Known Member
Originally posted by JediCarl@Feb 3 2006, 04:15 AM
My apologies. It's just that spending too much time in MR or SDS/AA related threads on the internet can have that affect on a person. 


Seriously, though, I figured I would launch a pre-emptive strike (i.e., a nice dose of rationality) against those who will inevitably bash MR over this CE line.
[snapback]1174808[/snapback]​


I seriously wasn't looking to bash. And I agree with some of what you say. I think the CE line is cool, and I know the LEs I've bought weren't bad buys cause I love 'em AND I bought them aftermarket for reduced prices. :D


I just wonder what sabers they'll do and what I want to do with my collection....
 

arkangel

Well-Known Member
From a business perspective, it would make sense to do past LE's in the CE format (especially if most of the tooling can be reused), but personally I hope that only new and future releases will be done in CE format. I'd be lying to say otherwise.
For me the cool factor of the LEs, of which I own 11 of now, really isn't whether or not they retain their monetary value, but that they are limited. It's kind of cool that there are only 2500 of this one and 1750 of that one. Thrill of the hunt and all that.
It probably shouldn't, but the introduction of visually identical, unlimited runs of the same LE sabers in CE format takes something away from the LE's uniqueness for me, regardless of what material lies beneath the paint.
There's still a whole world of Star Wars props begging to be done without having to go this route, imo (and this is assuming that they ARE going to redo the whole LE line). I've been a huge supporter of MR since it's inception (still am) but I'm not keen on seeing past LEs redone. At the end of the day, however, I'm thankful for the great pieces MR has made since becoming the official licensee, so I'll get off my soapbox.

Edited: for bitchiness. :lol
Clark
 

JediCarl

Well-Known Member
Originally posted by Avalon X@Feb 3 2006, 12:25 AM
I just wonder what sabers they'll do and what I want to do with my collection....
[snapback]1174815[/snapback]​

That's a good question and I think most of us are curious about which sabers MR will end up doing as CEs.

One thing to consider is that the lower cost and completely open-ended nature of the line might eventually mean we'll see different, more obscure sabers that might otherwise be more risky to do as full-out LEs. And if those sold well, perhaps they'd be done in LE as well.

Just speculating, of course, but this should be an interesting line. I liked the pic of the Qui-Gon CE and that new display piece is quite cool.
 

defyitall

Sr Member
I really hope they do a TPM or AOTC Obi Wan and a Tyranus. They're my favorite designs but I have a hard time paying the MR or Larbel price for a hilt alone; unless it's for a costume or something.
 

godzilla

Well-Known Member
They should do a CE Darth Maul saber in resin because then it would actually be accurate.

They should do the generic council member sabers in the CE line too.

Adam
 

Gigatron

Sr Member
Personally, I'd like to see all the PT sabers done in CE fashion. Here's why; right now my PT saber collection is exclusively .45 scale sabers and as much as I absolutely love the little buggers, they don't jive with the rest of my collection.

I cant afford the $370 price tags for the LEs, so if these CEs come in at $75 - $100 price range, I'd seriously consider expanding into the fullsize PT arena. And I'm sure a lot more people would do the same.

Here's a question for the anti-CE (or SE/LE elitist) people: Why should the size of one's pocketbook dictate whether or not they can have a nice display piece? Because I'm not rich, I can't have a nice, officially licensed, PT saber? Gee, thanks. Instead of worrying about your investment, consider people who have other financial responsibilities. We're not out to make you poor, just to enjoy Star Wars.

-Fred
 

cayman shen

Master Member
I understand people trying to protect an investment--I mean, it probably will undercut the value of the sabers they have if they're reissued. And unfortunately, there are things I won't have because of finances (Gigatron, I appreciate the sentiment, but there will always be those with bigger pocketbooks, ergo, cooler toys).

Still, I'm not going to complain if a company gives me an affordable product. (199 is right for an LE IMO, too much for the CE).

Did those with real minty Graflexes feel screwed by Park's replicas? No. Real flash owners can say "I have a real flash." Replica owners can enjoy an affordable saber. This may be a disaster or a win win. I'm going to wait and see what happens. Maybe I'll save all that money and buy a lathe/mill.
 

Havoc

Active Member
Originally posted by Gigatron@Feb 3 2006, 04:36 PM
I cant afford the $370 price tags for the LEs, so if these CEs come in at $75 - $100 price range, I'd seriously consider expanding into the fullsize PT arena.  And I'm sure a lot more people would do the same.
[snapback]1175247[/snapback]​
If they can hit that $75-100 mark with the FX line and all the electronics included, I just cant fathom why they cant with some resin and a metal sleeve.

and it really boils down to what type of collecter are you, one that collects for sentimental value or one that collects for monetary value.
 

Gigatron

Sr Member
Originally posted by cayman shen@Feb 3 2006, 07:47 PM
I understand people trying to protect an investment--I mean, it probably will undercut the value of the sabers they have if they're reissued.  And unfortunately, there are things I won't have because of finances (Gigatron, I appreciate the sentiment, but there will always be those with bigger pocketbooks, ergo, cooler toys).


[snapback]1175258[/snapback]​
I totally agree, if you have the money, go out and buy the coolest thing you can afford BUT, don't get whiney because I have something that LOOKS like yours. Don't deny someone the pleasure of having something nice just because it cost less than yours.

That's like Lamborghini owners having a hissy fit because the guy with the pontiac fiero put a lambo body kit on his car. Real Lambo owners will know the difference and that's what matters. When it comes time to sell, the guy with fiero and kit is not going to get the same money that the guy with the real car will get.

-Fred
 

tripoli

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Unfortunately, the hard core collectors that are concerened about the value as much as the quality are getting ticked off at the thought of an unlimited line like the ce's. If MR is going to produce them, they need to keep them different enough in quality AND price to make a signifigant diffrence in collectors eyes. If MR does not do so, they are going to loose a large base of purchasers of the LE and up saber lines. The uniquness of the limited editions will be lost and you will see those past pieces value drop. Its the same corportate mentality that has killed many a Star Wars collectable out there. I don't know for certain if the demand is high enough to stabalize that value or not. I do know the reaction on several collectors boards has been extremely negative to it.
 

atacpdx

Well-Known Member
Originally posted by Avalon X@Feb 3 2006, 03:47 AM
You think they'll go and do council member sabers?


Will they do unlimited runs of everything they've done? I know this has been asked before, but this idea concerns me... and I'm not even as heavily invested as some here.
[snapback]1174790[/snapback]​

I would anticipate that they'll do all models including the ones already done as LE if I were you.

Remember, with the movies done and only the "Iffy" TV show ahead to generate wide interest, they have to milk this license all they can and the FX will be their lowest end "replica" with the CE filling the next rung of the ladder.

Don't be surprised if they flood the market with CE's. Makes sense for them financially despite the fact it'll piss off a handful of "investment collectors".
 

atacpdx

Well-Known Member
Originally posted by tripoli@Feb 3 2006, 08:32 PM
Unfortunately, the hard core collectors that  are concerened about the value as much as the quality are getting ticked off at the thought of an unlimited line like the ce's. If MR is going to produce them, they need to keep them different enough in quality AND price to make a signifigant diffrence in collectors eyes.  If MR does not do so, they are going to loose a large base of purchasers of the LE and up saber lines.  The uniquness of the limited editions will be lost and you will see those past pieces value drop. Its the same corportate mentality that has killed many a Star Wars collectable out there.  I don't know for certain if the demand is high enough to stabalize that value or not.  I do know the reaction on several collectors boards has been extremely negative to it.
[snapback]1175301[/snapback]​

Thing is Trip...a lot of the grumblers who are crying "investment value" will come around when the next photos of the next cool LE come out and they'll whip out their credit cards. MR knows it too.

Sure a few will walk away but many of the naysayers will come around. Hell look at the Vader Helmet thing. One thread with nice photos and praise and already several of the ones screaming about MR and how happy they were to not buy are now saying "maybe I'll get one after all". You, me, all collectors, we are kids at heart and can't resist buying cool @#$%..
 
Top