What kind of resin do you use?

blufive

Sr Member
I've been using MicroMark's white resin for small projects for a couple of years but I want to switch to something else since these are small bottles and I have some big projects coming.

I tried Task 7 from Smooth On but I realized AFTER I got it that it shouldn't be used for castings greater than 1/2" thick.

What do you use when you cast things in resin and why do you like it?

I use Smooth-on 'smoothcast' resins for everything and love the stuff. they come in 3 different kinds from fast curing, medium curing and slow curing. 200 can usually be demolded after 30 minutes, 205 1-1.5 hours 210 3 hours

cheers,

Marc

Hyperlast Pour-a-kast Mark II is a dandy fine resin for my prop needs. I'm sure there are better ones, but for a low odor, 1:1 ratio white resin, that you can demold in 5-7 minutes, I really like it.

IMHO.

Just a quick word of caution if you're using polyurethane resins. Many have very little odor (esp. when compared to polyester resin) but they still give off extremely toxic fumes and should only be used in very well ventilated areas.

Good luck with your project.

Originally posted by juno@Jan 23 2006, 11:41 PM
Maybe I'll get slammed for this, but I use Alumilite.  Same as Propsculptor, I get almost no bubbles in my castings.  I also find it very forgiving when it comes to catalyst / base mixing.

http://www.alumilite.com
[snapback]1166246[/snapback]​

Juno, same here. I've had very little problems with it as well, and the casts have been very good, with demolding within 5 minutes.

You are incorrect, Alumilite and Sil-White are not the same material.

Alumilite is cheaper and the quality isn't as good as Sil-White, the only thing both
have in common is that they are very watery when mixed and set-up Fast.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back