What are your most desired obscure props?

I wouldn't think it's "obscure", but I really want Jack Sparrow's compass. I'd think it'd be a pretty popular prop, but it doesn't look like there's been any runs of it here, ever. There's been some fantastic looking one-offs, but the versions on Etsy that I've seen kinda pale in comparison.
I know, right! Been looking myself and have been disappointed so far as well.

I'm going to make a movie accurate version one day, but I'd love to have the wooden locomotive and model delorean that Doc builds in Back to the Future part 3. I know BTTF isn't obscure, but I think these props are overlooked in favor of hoverboards and almanacs.View attachment 1713607
Of all the times I've seen the movie, I have noticed the shell part was on the back, but I don't think I ever noticed the bullets were the headlights. Thats pretty cool.
Is this picture the real screen used prop, or a replica?
My guess is real, but hard to tell sometimes.

Was looking at the two scenes it was used in. During Docs test for Marty, it looks like the primers on the shells are intact. Although, around when Clara comes in, they look like they might be punched in from being fired. Hard to tell.

Later on when Clara finds it, they are clearly punched in. I was almost thinking they might have made two props and had an error with one punched and the other not...but I think its just the way the light hits it and the blurriness in the first scene.

Its fun to try and tell in the different parts of a movie.

I know, right! Been looking myself and have been disappointed so far as well.
I can't rely on my memory of this because I swore it was here on therpf but I have seen a company that did several runs on the compass and they were per movie because, according to them, it changed between movies. Now I will scour all my sources to find who it was and where I saw it.

Last edited:
I can't rely on my memory of this because I swore it was here on therof but I have seen a company that did several runs on the compass and they were per movie because, according to them, it changed between movies. Now I will scour all my sources to find who it was and where I saw it.
If you could figure it out I'd be incredibly grateful! I've been looking to put together a bit of a display in a chest of some of the Aztec coins, Davy Jones' key (and possibly the drawing, I really love that floppy drawing), and the compass.

I can't rely on my memory of this because I swore it was here on therof but I have seen a company that did several runs on the compass and they were per movie because, according to them, it changed between movies. Now I will scour all my sources to find who it was and where I saw it.
Also, the fact that the compass could be different from movie to movie would be very on brand for one of the bigger pieces of a set lol.

Also, the fact that the compass could be different from movie to movie would be very on brand for one of the bigger pieces of a set lol.
Going to throw this one in first but am still looking for the company that I know did several runs.

Well total suckage on my search. I remember it was a husband and wife team and all they made was Sparrow accessories but I cannot find their store.

The most accurate available replica I see is an etsy seller. The only part I can say is not a passable match is the clasp, close but not a match. But it is one of the only replicas that did not mistakenly put the brass ball compass center as part of the upper center tri legged part and is instead down on the actual moving dial.... where it really goes.

Last edited:
Do you remember, the Mission Impossible TV series opening credits, with the burning fuse?
I'm trying to find that match.
Just read your msg; sometimes I think that it's a match to light wood in a fireplace. The way it's shaped and how the person holds it. Seems to me that it's a longer type of match;)

1687874372099.png

Going to throw this one in first but am still looking for the company that I know did several runs.

Well total suckage on my search. I remember it was a husband and wife team and all they made was Sparrow accessories but I cannot find their store.

The most accurate available replica I see is an etsy seller. The only part I can say is not a passable match is the clasp, close but not a match. But it is one of the only replicas that did not mistakenly put the brass ball compass center as part of the upper center tri legged part and is instead down on the actual moving dial.... where it really goes.

While it looks good and I've no doubt some scouring could find the proper clasp, that's just a bit too pricy for me atm. Think I'll look into compiling some notes and knocking up a prototype or two, if I'm happy with it I'll knock out a proper one.

sorry for the slight off topic, but since you guys are talking a lot about the compasses, I was working on doing a small limited run of high end compasses from the first movie, with noble materials and real hand inlayed bone inlays, but had to put this aside to work on Star Wars stuff for a while. I'll get back to it next year I think :)
DSC02918.jpg

DSC02921.jpg

DSC02922.jpg

DSC02770.jpg

P_20210119_111531.jpg

sorry for the slight off topic, but since you guys are talking a lot about the compasses, I was working on doing a small limited run of high end compasses from the first movie, with noble materials and real hand inlayed bone inlays, but had to put this aside to work on Star Wars stuff for a while. I'll get back to it next year I think :)
View attachment 1713967
View attachment 1713968
View attachment 1713969
View attachment 1713970
View attachment 1713971
Well definitely count me interested no matter the time frame, friend! If you remember, shoot me a message whenever you're looking to get them going and I'll for sure pick one up. Otherwise I'll just keep an eye out for your posts. :)

View attachment 1713967
View attachment 1713968
View attachment 1713969
View attachment 1713970
View attachment 1713971
Bless your shiny soul, you have the dial down deep just like the original. It is one of the most obvious errors of the mainstream replicas having the dial at the upper surface.

Ive been looking for the pocketwatch young joe carried in looper...i used to want the miniaturization chips from inner space but made myself a set with the cufflinks a few years ago

View attachment 1713967
View attachment 1713968
View attachment 1713969
View attachment 1713970
View attachment 1713971

Lookin' good. I knew if I spoke up, someone would point me in the right direction.

I'll keep my eye out on the Project Runs forum if you ever get back around to this.

Just my gut feeling, not sure if anyone else feels this way, but I always had the impression Doc made this model entirely out of wood (except the bullets). I feel like bent sheet metal(?) would have been too much for "the crudity of the model." It would seem more authentic to the movie to be made of wood, at least to me. I would love to make a wood one.
But that's kind of the joke, isn't it? Doc apologizes for the "crudity" of the model, when he's actually created something really spectacular.

In part 1, its a beautiful scale model of the town square. In part 3, its a functional electric train set. Yeah, Doc could have built it out of wood, but he's an overachiever.

Of all the times I've seen the movie, I have noticed the shell part was on the back, but I don't think I ever noticed the bullets were the headlights. Thats pretty cool.
Is this picture the real screen used prop, or a replica?
My guess is real, but hard to tell sometimes.
I believe that is the real prop. I think that's an image from when it sold at auction a few years ago.

The model does look slightly different scene to scene, though. In these images, you can see the driver's side door has popped up on top, but in other scenes its flat against the top like in the auction pic

Attachments

• 1885_Minature_DeLorean.png
    1885_Minature_DeLorean.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 96
  • icm_fullxfull.69254500_mx2pucw89zk880k8o084 (2).jpg
    icm_fullxfull.69254500_mx2pucw89zk880k8o084 (2).jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Minature_DeLorean.jpg
    Minature_DeLorean.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 78
  • BTTF_Minature_Train.jpg
    BTTF_Minature_Train.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Here's another one (or ones) I want. Captain Dathon's trinkets from the SNG episode Darmok. The little medallions that he sets out around his perimeter when he makes camp around his fire. I've always been fascinated by the badge/jewelry that was employed in SNG costumes, including those items, the stuff he wore on his jacket, the LCD medallion on Worf's sash, etc.

darmok_04.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back