what about hydrospanners and the like?

Bradleyfett

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Has anyone tackled any of the various tools seen in the OT?

Off the top of my head:
Luke's tools (Looks like you've got a lot of carbon scoring here...)
Chewy's welder
Han's Hydrospanners

For that matter, is there any good reference shots of these? Its funny how so much info had surfaced on props from the OT (lightsabers and the like), and yet nothing from the archieves on these more mundane objects.

Mark

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bradleyfett @ Apr 26 2006, 04:16 PM) [snapback]1233649[/snapback]</div>
Has anyone tackled any of the various tools seen in the OT?

Off the top of my head:
Luke's tools (Looks like you've got a lot of carbon scoring here...)
Chewy's welder
Han's Hydrospanners

For that matter, is there any good reference shots of these? Its funny how so much info had surfaced on props from the OT (lightsabers and the like), and yet nothing from the archieves on these more mundane objects.

Mark
[/b]

Aw man, I don't know if these props exist any more. I wonder if there are any pics?

B

I've never seen anyone do them. Someone may have done the ESB welder that Leia uses because it was made from a flash unit.

I *think* one of the tools in Han's tool box, when it falls in the pit on him, is a slide hammer (automotive tool you use to pull out dents).

I read in an interview with the late Nick Harrison of Norank Engineering, (the company that did a lot of engineering projects on the OT including R2) that he felt sure Chewie's welding gear was theirs.

Whether it was dressed up or used straight out of the toolbox I don't know.

Han's welding goggles came up for auction at Christies a few years ago but were withdrawn from sale before the auction started unfortunately.

Jeremy

Were Han's welding goggles identified?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gonk27 @ Apr 28 2006, 09:25 AM) [snapback]1234698[/snapback]</div>
I read in an interview with the late Nick Harrison of Norank Engineering, (the company that did a lot of engineering projects on the OT including R2) that he felt sure Chewie's welding gear was theirs.

Han's welding goggles came up for auction at Christies a few years ago but were withdrawn from sale before the auction started unfortunately.

Jeremy
[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kurtyboy @ Apr 28 2006, 01:55 PM) [snapback]1234755[/snapback]</div>
Were Han's welding goggles identified?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gonk27 @ Apr 28 2006, 09:25 AM) [snapback]1234698[/snapback]

Jeremy
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Do you mean identified as in the specific make of goggle? -no I don't think so, nothing in the auction catalogue anyway.

Jeremy

Here are a few I made. Nowhere near accurate though...
tools1.jpg

tools2.jpg

[image]http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/20/20300/folders/240494/1886205toolbox.jpg[/image]

[image]http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/20/20300/folders/240494/1886206btmwelding.jpg[/image]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jedi Lawja @ Apr 30 2006, 08:11 AM) [snapback]1235828[/snapback]</div>
Never mind accuracy, those tools look fantastic. I love the addition of a meter/control box. How about some tutorials?
[/b]
Well, I just got a digital camera a few days ago, and with work schedule... hmm, might take a week or two before getting something up. I'd have to make them from scratch again.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JRHermle @ May 1 2006, 12:35 AM) [snapback]1236236[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jedi Lawja @ Apr 30 2006, 08:11 AM) [snapback]1235828[/snapback]
Never mind accuracy, those tools look fantastic. I love the addition of a meter/control box. How about some tutorials?
[/b]
Well, I just got a digital camera a few days ago, and with work schedule... hmm, might take a week or two before getting something up. I'd have to make them from scratch again.
[/b][/quote]

We're not in any rush-rush hurry. :) Knowing they're work in process warms our cold little hearts. <G>

Jay

JRHermle,

Your work looks so much like the real thing I had to do a double-take. Great job. Any tips on where to forage for found parts?

In the source photo above, the middle-tip of the left-most tool looks like the innards of a motorcycle inline fuel filter.

Herm,

Fantastic. Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

Maybe I've jsut gotten burned out on blasters and lightsabers, but for some reason I've been taking notice of these kind of more obscure. more utilitarian props. There aren't many, but they follow the same brilliant used-galaxy look as the OT weapons.

Off the top of my head, here's a list of tools/non-weapon props that we've seen used in the OT:

(Please feel free to add to the list)

Jawa welder
Droid caller
restaining bolt
Luke's tool (no jokes) he used on R2 to remove the 'carbon scoring'
Luke's Macros
Stormie/Hoth Rebel Macros
Stormie comlink

Han's rebel scanner
Han's hyrospanners
Chewie's welder
Welding goggles
M. Falcon O2 mask

(On Dagobah:)
Luke's lamp
Luke's food box
Luke's misc. cargo boxes

Other possibilities:
Rebel Pilot things in shoulder pockets (tools? flares?)
Boba Fett's shin tools (I still believe they are tools rather than weapons)
Things in Han's belt

Mark

Most of those have been made already and even have reliable suppliers.

Especially the pilot arm tools.

The Jawa welder is identified and somewhat available (although I guess getting harder due to the age)

Droid caller is identified and several people have made versions of it.

Luke's Macros has had most of the real world parts identified. People have either re-created it or used resin copies of pieces.

The Falcon oxygen mask is another real world item and has been re-created as well.

The Fett shin tools are mostly photographer's equipment and I believe have all been identified.

I do agree though that adding some of those items to a costume or display gives it that extra "real" touch.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bradleyfett @ May 9 2006, 03:08 PM) [snapback]1241275[/snapback]</div>
Herm,

Fantastic. Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

Maybe I've jsut gotten burned out on blasters and lightsabers, but for some reason I've been taking notice of these kind of more obscure. more utilitarian props. There aren't many, but they follow the same brilliant used-galaxy look as the OT weapons.

Off the top of my head, here's a list of tools/non-weapon props that we've seen used in the OT:

(Please feel free to add to the list)

Jawa welder

Luke's Macros

Stormie/Hoth Rebel Macros

M. Falcon O2 mask

Boba Fett's shin tools (I still believe they are tools rather than weapons)

Things in Han's belt

Mark
[/b]

I'm pretty sure everything I left on the list has been identified (at least I hope that was the intention of the list)

Jawa welder - a still-available two gas refillable welder. Comes with 2 12oz gas cannisters that are mixed for welding. I forget where I got mine from but I'll take a look at it and post it up.

Luke macros - A eumig servomatic camera, lenses from a kalimar six sixty and a viewer hood from and knobs from the same.

Hoth macros - Simrad range finder

O2 mask - son't remember make and model, but it was identified

Boba's shin tools - old paint stirrers

Han's belt - CO2 cylinders and droid caller flash

The rest, I'm not too sure about.

-Fred

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back