What’s on Your Workbench? (Star Wars items only)

That looks great! What fabric did you use?

Thank you! I used a wool blend, just like the original. For Ep. 2 and 3 Trisha Biggar had fabric custom woven for the production because in Episode 1 they used vintage military utility fabric. For the sequences where they shot in the water to swim to the Gungan city, the robes soaked up too much water and shrank to half their length. To avoid this, along with cutting down on the weight with all the layers of fabric, especially Episode 2 for the fight with Jango, she opted to have material custom woven for the robes.

For reference here's some shots of the original Ep. 3 robe and then mine for comparison. They both have the same color, weight, and twill weave. Keep in mind that the camera flash for the screen used robes does alter the color to look more reddish than how the robes look in person.

ep3_swi_saber.jpg

For the next robe I make, I'll have to pay closer attention to the direction of the twill. One of the interesting things is that some robes have the twill on the narrow collar (where the hood attaches to the rest of the robe) running vertically and some have it running horizontally. So either direction is technically correct, but for the rest of the robe, I'll have to flip the material to get the twill to run the opposite way on the next one I make.

BootsRobe.jpg
20231213_154040.jpg
ROTSExhibit.JPG
20231213_174710.jpg
tumblr_628f37fce54f114eb6ccc6b2dfb25cd9_02ff8be6_640.jpg
20231213_174540.jpg
ROTSExhibit2.JPG

20231213_154059.jpg

Last edited:
Man I can't wait for you to build my Yoda clothes. Taking way longer than I hoped to raise the cash. I also hope someday to add your amazing Obi 3 Jedi set to my collection.

Your work and materials are the best hands down.

I hope you are selling a lot because your work is amazing.

Tom

Man I can't wait for you to build my Yoda clothes. Taking way longer than I hoped to raise the cash. I also hope someday to add your amazing Obi 3 Jedi set to my collection.

Your work and materials are the best hands down.

I hope you are selling a lot because your work is amazing.

Tom

Thank you so much! I look forward to that project when you've got the time and funding. That's going to be so much fun. Doing something on a smaller scale will be a creative challenge I know I'll really enjoy.

Love the hood, so many I've seen are way too small but you've nailed it!

Thank you so much! I love your Holiday Special color scheme Fett. I always told myself if I ever did a Mandalorian costume I would do it in that color scheme. Perhaps one day. I don't know what it is, but I think the colors they chose were just so appealing and so different. It's my favorite iteration of that costume, hands down.

As for the robe, the Prequel Jedi costumes, and even Alec Guinness's costume use SO much material. I can't find the quote but Liam Neeson was saying that he was astounded by the sheer amount of fabric used to make his Qui-Gon costume. On average the Prequel style uses about 30-40 yards to complete one ensemble. It may not look like a lot of fabric, but if you add it all up, it's pretty incredible to see just how much goes into it all. Lots, and lots of layers. Just for reference, this is all of the fabric cut out to make an Anakin tunic and it doesn't include the Inner Tunic or the Leather Tabards. Just the Outer Tunic with Tabards and sash:

AnatomyofTunic (3).jpg
AnatomyofTunic (4).jpg

All to make this:

20231013_194126.jpg

I can't wait to show you all my other costumes I have planned. I'll be redoing my Alec Guinness Kenobi, Anakin, several versions of Luke, and those are just the SW costumes. I've got plans for pieces outside AGFFA too. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I love your Holiday Special color scheme Fett. I always told myself if I ever did a Mandalorian costume I would do it in that color scheme. Perhaps one day. I don't know what it is, but I think the colors they chose were just so appealing and so different. It's my favorite iteration of that costume, hands down.

Thank you that means a lot coming from your good self and I totally agree with you the colours are quite striking and also open to a great deal of interpretation and materials and I loved making metal gauntlets and body armour. I've not made anything like this for years but the last costume I did was funnily enough a Kenobi not screen accurate but had quite the hood.

I can't wait to show you all my other costumes I have planned. I'll be redoing my Alec Guinness Kenobi, Anakin, several versions of Luke, and those are just the SW costumes. I've got plans for pieces outside AGFFA too. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Iceberg!... Your making Kate Winslets dress!... But in all seriousness looking forward to your future offerings..

I took some time off work for the holidays and decided to tackle a Godzilla Tusken Raider Mask / Helmet.

IMG_2521.jpeg

I have learned that these builds are not for the faint of heart…

I was up until 2 am., last night, just knocking out the leather on the inside of the mouth…this part was waaaaaaaay more difficult than I thought it would be…

I spent what seemed like hours scouring through reference photos, trying to find build threads, etc. (which, surprisingly, do not exist, BTW). I finally figured out that what looks to be one massive piece of leather shoved into the mouth is likely actually multiple pieces of leather that are laid in such a way to look like one massive piece of leather; anyway, that’s what I ended up doing.

IMG_2523.jpeg

The rest of the leather is not yet “barged” into place and is just sitting there on the snout while I figure out my next steps.

The wraps have been shredded and soaked in espresso as well…

IMG_2520.jpeg

I’m hoping to have this “wrapped up” (get it?) before the New Year.

IMG_2546.jpeg

Last edited:
Before heading out the door to a New Year’s Eve Party, I spent this afternoon cobbling together a Skywalker ESB Duelling Stunt Hilt that represents the hilt at the end of filming…bunny ears removed…hard grips removed and replaced with ratty foam grips…worn-out gaffer’s tape wrapped around the clamp, etc.

I’ve got some more weathering to do, greeblies to add, and then this one will be done. This is intended to be the last GRAFLEX build for me.

IMG_2665.jpeg

IMG_2667.jpeg
IMG_2668.jpeg

IMG_2765.jpeg
IMG_2770.jpeg

Last edited:
It still needs weathering, but I just finished getting this 3D printed DL-44 together. I'm mostly happy with it, and while I have no idea where I'm going to put it, it just felt like one of those props I had to make!

Attachments

• IMG_2112.jpeg
    IMG_2112.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2114.jpeg
    IMG_2114.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2115.jpeg
    IMG_2115.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
Just picking up where CopperRevan left off with his custom blaster, after he let it go in the Junkyard. My plan was just to clean up and refine what he had already established.

I am also of the opinion that it's more interesting with its original finish - and as a pistol - so there will definitely be no paintwork or shoulder stock attachment.

However, I have to disagree that it's some sort of "rare and unique flash gun accessory." The more logical explanation is that it's simply a flare gun, which a flash tube just happens to fit into. Just like the tube of an MPP flash fitting into a Webley flare gun for Fett's ESB EE-3 blaster.

So, speaking of MPPs... I picked up a replica MPP flash tube from Roman - I wanted to go with the MPP tube because it has far less text engraved on it than a Heiland. I also thought a smaller diameter inner barrel would be good, making the MPP tube more of a shroud - for this I picked up a 12-inch length of 7/8" diameter aluminum tubing from McMaster Carr, which I then trimmed down. I didn't want to keep the shiny chrome finish of the MPP, so I started out by sandblasting it and then gave it a bit of a brushed finish with a couple different grits of 3M sanding sponges and a Scotchbrite pad. While I was at it, I also sanded the surface of the smaller aluminum tube. I then made two rings out of 1/4 inch thick MDF, to center and attach the aluminum tube inside the MPP - I painted the front ring black, so when you look down the muzzle you won't see raw MDF.

cb01.jpg

cb02.jpg

cb03.jpg

cb04.jpg

I disassembled the Graflex clamp and gave some of the parts a bit of a clean-up with a piece of Scotchbrite pad. While I had it apart, I cut a strip of aluminum tape to cover up the lettering. I then made a piece that both the Graflex and the smaller Yacht mini flash could clamp onto - basically the same thing that CopperRevan had, just lower in profile (I wanted the mini flash clamp closer to the Graflex clamp). For this, I used some pieces of brass strip that fit each of the clamps and which are attached to each other with another piece of narrow brass as a spacer in between - they're all sandwiched together with a couple 2-56 screws + nuts.

cb05.jpg

cb06.jpg

I removed the reflector bracket from the mini flash and turned the flash around so the black-rimmed socket will be facing towards the back.

cb07.jpg

As for the flare gun, it needed some black schmutz cleaned off of the left side, and while I was at it I went over the whole thing with superfine steel wool to spruce it up a bit. I didn't really care for the Bakelite brown color of the plastic grip, so I removed it and cleaned it up with an isopropyl alcohol bath and an old toothbrush (for the checkering). Then it got a light sanding all over (except for the checkering). I then sprayed it with a couple coats of black Plasti Dip rubber coating before I stuck it back on.

Finally, I liked the concept and general shape of the barrel undercarriage, but I wanted something that would fit better - so I drew up a plan (by hand, with pencil and paper... because I'm a dinosaur :lol:). I made the plan for a friend in the mechanical fabrication department at work, with the idea that he would machine it up for me out of a scrap of aluminum. Unfortunately, he's short a man in his shop for the next couple months or so, so he's a bit swamped at the moment, trying to pick up the slack - he simply doesn't have time for my nonsense right now. So this means that the blaster will have to go on the back burner for a bit...

cb08.jpg

cb09.jpg

Just picking up where CopperRevan left off with his custom blaster, after he let it go in the Junkyard. My plan was just to clean up and refine what he had already established.

I am also of the opinion that it's more interesting with its original finish - and as a pistol - so there will definitely be no paintwork or shoulder stock attachment.

However, I have to disagree that it's some sort of "rare and unique flash gun accessory." The more logical explanation is that it's simply a flare gun, which a flash tube just happens to fit into. Just like the tube of an MPP flash fitting into a Webley flare gun for Fett's ESB EE-3 blaster.

So, speaking of MPPs... I picked up a replica MPP flash tube from Roman - I wanted to go with the MPP tube because it has far less text engraved on it than a Heiland. I also thought a smaller diameter inner barrel would be good, making the MPP tube more of a shroud - for this I picked up a 12-inch length of 7/8" diameter aluminum tubing from McMaster Carr, which I then trimmed down. I didn't want to keep the shiny chrome finish of the MPP, so I started out by sandblasting it and then gave it a bit of a brushed finish with a couple different grits of 3M sanding sponges and a Scotchbrite pad. While I was at it, I also sanded the surface of the smaller aluminum tube. I then made two rings out of 1/4 inch thick MDF, to center and attach the aluminum tube inside the MPP - I painted the front ring black, so when you look down the muzzle you won't see raw MDF.

View attachment 1782025
View attachment 1782026
View attachment 1782027
View attachment 1782028

I disassembled the Graflex clamp and gave some of the parts a bit of a clean-up with a piece of Scotchbrite pad. While I had it apart, I cut a strip of aluminum tape to cover up the lettering. I then made a piece that both the Graflex and the smaller Yacht mini flash could clamp onto - basically the same thing that CopperRevan had, just lower in profile (I wanted the mini flash clamp closer to the Graflex clamp). For this, I used some pieces of brass strip that fit each of the clamps and which are attached to each other with another piece of narrow brass as a spacer in between - they're all sandwiched together with a couple 2-56 screws + nuts.

View attachment 1782029
View attachment 1782030

I removed the reflector bracket from the mini flash and turned the flash around so the black-rimmed socket will be facing towards the back.

View attachment 1782031

As for the flare gun, it needed some black schmutz cleaned off of the left side, and while I was at it I went over the whole thing with superfine steel wool to spruce it up a bit. I didn't really care for the Bakelite brown color of the plastic grip, so I removed it and cleaned it up with an isopropyl alcohol bath and an old toothbrush (for the checkering). Then it got a light sanding all over (except for the checkering). I then sprayed it with a couple coats of black Plasti Dip rubber coating before I stuck it back on.

Finally, I liked the concept and general shape of the barrel undercarriage, but I wanted something that would fit better - so I drew up a plan (by hand, with pencil and paper... because I'm a dinosaur :lol:). I made the plan for a friend in the mechanical fabrication department at work, with the idea that he would machine it up for me out of a scrap of aluminum. Unfortunately, he's short a man in his shop for the next couple months or so, so he's a bit swamped at the moment, trying to pick up the slack - he simply doesn't have time for my nonsense right now. So this means that the blaster will have to go on the back burner for a bit...

View attachment 1782032
View attachment 1782033
I f’n LOVE THIS!!

Recently finished a Hoth/Bespinesque DL for a good friend's 50th birthday with the little added detail of a personalised serial on the rear G8R3TT50 (His name is G.Brett)

(also pictured here with my Dagobah and ANH approximations)

Attachments

• aIMG_1408.jpg
    aIMG_1408.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 31
  • aIMG_1405.jpg
    aIMG_1405.jpg
    8.6 MB · Views: 28
  • aIMG_1404.jpg
    aIMG_1404.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 25
  • aIMG_1403.jpg
    aIMG_1403.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 27
  • aIMG_1398.jpg
    aIMG_1398.jpg
    8.5 MB · Views: 26
  • G-Don's blaster.mp4
    64.1 MB
  • aIMG_1411.jpg
    aIMG_1411.jpg
    9 MB · Views: 33

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back