Water Slide Decals

UKscout

I'm thinking of using the decal paper that you can place inside a colour laser printer to do some decals for a little project I'm at the moment

anyone else used this type of paper before I order a load? how durable are they?

my friend uses these, he cannot print white, but any other decals work fine - he also seals them afterwards to ensure they dont rub off

I use them for my guitars. They work great. I use the clear and simply lay a coat of lacquer over them to seal the ink, otherwise it will bleed when you dunk them in paper.

I use an older HP inkjet printer with no problems at all.

I'm thinking of using the decal paper that you can place inside a colour laser printer to do some decals for a little project I'm at the moment

anyone else used this type of paper before I order a load? how durable are they?
Hmmm.....what is this little project you speak of?:angel

Rich

I believe Laser printed decals don't need to be sealed before immersion in water only the Inkjet type do.

They probably don't need to be, but vintage replica guitar builders use DH's trick.

The original Fender headstock decals were placed after the final clearcoat had dried, and were prone to wear. Later Fender "sandwiched" decals somewhere in the middle of the clearcoats. Some vintage replica builders lacquer the replica decal on the card prior to trimming to add scratch resistance. Then they apply that decal to the finished headstock which keeps a visible vintage decal edge.

1950's examples from "The Blackguard" by Nacho Banos
Blackguard3.jpg

Example of the new method: (too sterile, IMO)
$(KGrHqUOKi8E3ZE6c-PQBN8lBO4htQ~~_1.JPG

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back