Warhammer 40000 Space Marines

I'm doing an Imperial Guard Stormtrooper for games day in sept.
Here's the helmet:
[attachmentid=3605]

My Version (WIP):
[attachmentid=3606]

Pic of the whole thing:
[attachmentid=3607]

The helmet has a voice unit and i'll link its laser sounds to the rifle and add muzzle flash lights.

SAS

Originally posted by h1rg0n@Aug 20 2005, 04:01 PM
I am thinking that for it to look balanced each set of armor would have to be custom tailored to the individual wearer and thats where you get into some big expenses.....one off sculpts and custom sized molds for each piece. This would translate into thousands of dollars for the buyer...

Some pieces could be made generic and then trimmed to fit the wearer but not many.....

I was looking at making just the helmet and shoulder armor for display purposes only but i didnt do it due to the lack of interest maybe i will revisit this idea.....
[snapback]1061870[/snapback]​

Look at all the other costume armor out there. One size fits most. Padding can be added, subtracted. You would not have to make parts to fit everyone.

Originally posted by etheren@Aug 20 2005, 08:32 AM
Another difficulty in doing Space Marine armor is the fact that they are not proportioned like humans.  Scaled to height, they are MUCH wider than people are.  I don't think the idea is impossible, but it will take a creative solution to get the scale and proportions to look correct.
[snapback]1061732[/snapback]​

You can solve a lot of the problem with the width of the marine with the Shoulder Pads. The height proprtons Your probably looking at people no Shorter than 6' on average and a weight range of 200 up to 250 pound people.

These people tend to have the right size that if you stuffed them in marine armor witch has some thing like 18" shoulder pads their frame normally of about 2'6" wide would then be bumped to something like 5'6" wide, then you just scale leg and arm armor up a bit and stuff it with padding to get the right general size. Now realistically you may want to go a bit smaller but thats just an example.

That Ultramarine pic is cool. Right on. Thanks for posting it. Warhammer 40k is a blast to play. I've enjoyed it for several years. Playing Ultramarines, Orks and my boy's Eldar.

One item on recreating GW stuff- a buddy started to do 1/6th scale Space Marines. Posted them on a well known 1/6th site. They turned out pretty darn cool. Initial pics were the Space Wolves. (think Nordic Space Marines)

They were praised and lots wanted some...however...
Within a few days, he got hit w/ a "C&D" by GW.

End of that project... :confused

Originally posted by Bountys Hunted@Aug 23 2005, 09:37 PM
That Ultramarine pic is cool. Right on. Thanks for posting it. Warhammer 40k is a blast to play. I've enjoyed it for several years. Playing Ultramarines, Orks and my boy's Eldar.

One item on recreating GW stuff- a buddy started to do 1/6th scale Space Marines. Posted them on a well known 1/6th site. They turned out pretty darn cool. Initial pics were the Space Wolves. (think Nordic Space Marines)

They were praised and lots wanted some...however...
Within a few days, he got hit w/ a "C&D" by GW.

End of that project... :confused
[snapback]1063979[/snapback]​

They sound cool. Do you have any pics of your friend's work?

I've started most of the Warhammer threads on this forum and they've pretty much died a death within days, however, I'm really excited to see this one go into 2 pages.. Let's get this project going people..

Draven

Hi. Sculpting a very accurate helmet right now with one of my students. I will try and shoot some pics. next time I am out there. Looks just great.

post-4771-1124532394.jpg
Do I spy an Aliens Colonial Marine helmet camera there? :)

Harry.

GW is pretty heavy handed when it comes to people using their material in any way....especially when it comes to unlicensed stuff. :(

Even the mere mention of doing so will often get you a C&D.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened here yet.

You'd think that most of this would slip under their radar, but there's ALWAYS some fanatic out there who acts as their shill, and is willing to report any action to them...for whatever reason.

Originally posted by dropshipbob@Aug 25 2005, 02:53 PM
GW is pretty heavy handed when it comes to people using their material in any way....especially when it comes to unlicensed stuff. :(

Even the mere mention of doing so will often get you a C&D.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened here yet.

You'd think that most of this would slip under their radar, but there's ALWAYS some fanatic out there who acts as their shill, and is willing to report any action to them...for whatever reason.
[snapback]1065208[/snapback]​

Well I have found some Flickr Links to Marine Suits that showed up at this years Dragon Con. Wonder if its any of the skilled people on this forum?

Well here are those links
Chaos Marine
Dark Angel
Chaos Marine 2
Chaos and Blood Angel Black Rage MarineChaos,BloodAngel, DarkAngel trio
Chaos and Dark Angel

If the creators of these suits are members here and dont want these up on this board please let me know, I will remove the links. But please understand this is from a public source so show off your work and tell us about them.

I saw these guys on the DragonCon TV while they aired the Costume Contest, but I never saw them out on the con floor. DragonCon is so huge these days that, me, StudioCreations, missed talking to these costumers in person.

Ultimately I kick myself for getting old and slow. :p

-Jeff

Originally posted by StudioCreations@Sep 9 2005, 01:27 AM
I saw these guys on the DragonCon TV while they aired the Costume Contest, but I never saw them out on the con floor.  DragonCon is so huge these days that, me, StudioCreations, missed talking to these costumers in person. 

Ultimately I kick myself for getting old and slow.  :p

-Jeff
[snapback]1073751[/snapback]​

I would love to have a suit and it looks like they got the proportions correct for people who are normal sized.

Originally posted by jordankarr@Sep 9 2005, 01:36 AM

I would love to have a suit and it looks like they got the proportions correct for people who are normal sized.
[snapback]1073758[/snapback]​

Yeah, their creations definitely give me inspiration to try and tackle this armor making project. Maybe one day we all can lumber around in our own 40K armor. :)

Hi. Can anyone post some Warhammer pics. for me? I have a helmet sculpt to show. PM me with an email and I will send them along. Just 4 of them for now.

I spoke with the Slaanesh Marine about how he constructed the armor. Apparently, he works for a sign shop and they had a machine that 3D scanned the minatures. They scaled the image up, and used a CNC Foam cutter that cut the shapes out of beer cooler foam which they they skinned.

Anyone have a CNC foam cutter laying around? :p

Originally posted by etheren@Sep 9 2005, 08:57 PM
I spoke with the Slaanesh Marine about how he constructed the armor.  Apparently, he works for a sign shop and they had a machine that 3D scanned the minatures.  They scaled the image up, and used a CNC Foam cutter that cut the shapes out of beer cooler foam which they they skinned.

Anyone have a CNC foam cutter laying around? :p
[snapback]1074218[/snapback]​

I got the figs if anyone has a 3D image Scanner also.

Originally posted by h1rg0n@Sep 10 2005, 04:39 PM
Sidewinder.....those are some sweet pics. Please keep us updated on that project.
[snapback]1074666[/snapback]​

wow nice sculpt, please keep us updated as it pogresses.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back