War of the Worlds diorama!!!

GF

Sr Member
Got this kit as a birthday gift, will add real looking bushes ect... took me a day to complete.

Here's the paints and colors I used

I used Krylon copper premium/prestige line, it comes in a smaller 227g can, the cap is copper plated but its not at all chrome looking which is for the better as I prefer the satin copper finish, it sprays on very smooth, I like to apply heavy coats rather than several thin one for a much smoother finish, or you can apply one light coat then wet sand and apply a final heavy coat.

For the clear green and red parts I used Tamiya clear colors using a airbrush which looks perfect! for the tanks I used Tamiya Olive drab then did some dry brushing using 50/50 Tamiya olive drab/white to make the details pop a little as the tanks are really small but have great details, for the ground is a mixture of Tamiya brown and kakhi, the hills I used Model master dark grey with some lighter grey dry brushing.

Gerardo

Last edited:
Re: War of the Worlds diorama kit finished

But everyone knows when you wave the white flag you want to be friends!
What could go wrong?

Great work on the color.
The design is still alien and ominous. Timeless design.

Not sure what scale or how large this model is, but it would be pretty cool to illuminate the Martian death ray that's hitting the tank. Clear rods would be a bit better to display the Martian war machines. Now, with that out of the way, great job on the model and painting. The weathering on the tanks is subtle but a huge improvement over just a painted tank. The copper color is almost bang on from what I can remember. One of my favorite movies.

Thanks for the nice words!

scale is 1:144 this is a small diorama, total length is approx. 8", the tanks are 1 1/2" long and the war machines are 3 1/2" across, will definitely upgrade to clear rods and add real bushes.

Gerardo

I've been fascinated by this version of the war machines since i was little, i think this was another of those early 80s sunday afternoon after church tv movies that caught my eye. I would have loved to have seen George Pal's take on the walkers if they'd had cash for it. Honestly these showing up in the WOW TV show was the highlight of the first season.

I'd stick with the black rods. They blend into the dark background of your wall better than clear ones would.
Clear will just draw attention to themselves.

I'd stick with the black rods. They blend into the dark background of your wall better than clear ones would.
Clear will just draw attention to themselves.

Your are absolutely correct, I also find that clear stands actually stand out more than black, if you look at all my other models all the clear stands were painted black.

Gerardo

BTW those are temporary bushes which I used as a test since I had some in hand though better than the molded ones from base I need to find something more to scale/realistic, will also need to do some washes and shading to the ground.

Gerardo

Love this model. I'm doing a bit of bashing on mine: I want the Martian under a blister, and I want to light the heat ray and the green sections. I bought some green electrophosphorescent wire, but it turned out not to be a good light for a model this small.

Kit bash.jpg

Gerardo,
You can make very realistic trees from real plant / tree roots. Rinse them off, and when dry, cut them to the shape you want. The foliage can be made with dried tea leaves, or spices, such as oregano or basil, ect. Use white glue to attach to the branches, and when done, just seal them with a coat of clear flat. It's an old military miniatures trick, and you can crumble the spices if the 'leaves' look too big. It's also really cheap!!

I just noticed the three ash figures on the ground. Neat display.

I wonder if there is any way to color the tank getting zapped with red & orange. I seem to recall the effect involved the objects turning red when attacked... perhaps paint a false shadow on the ground too for further impression of a bright light.

R/ Robert

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back