Wand company 12th Doctor's screwdriver

feZianleVel

The button on my 12th sonic is broken, but I've sourced an appropriate replacement tact switch for it. Has anyone ever taken one of these apart? It looks like the battery housing is a snap-together fit, but I don't want to find out the hard way and break it. If it looks like its too difficult to do without trashing it, I'll try and solder the switch in place in-situ, but I'd rather get it apart. Anybody got any experience or advice on how to get it apart without breaking it? Thanks.

I own one and I vaguely recall looking into doing some upgrades but quickly gave that up. From what I recall, it doesn’t seperate easily and there’s a high risk of damaging the leather wrapped/faux ivory pieces in the middle. I think I may even have chipped mine slightly trying… it’s in storage for a move so I can’t check.
I’d look into upgrade videos to get some idea of how it all works and if you do try anything… go slowly and carefully.

Thanks for your reply. I had kinda given up :) I did manage to get the faux leather cover off before, but that is when I ran into problems; it looks like the ivory/copper parts were snapped securely together, with the intention that they never come apart. There are no obvious catches I can see and I just don't want to break it. The switch is totalled however, so if I can't replace that I've basically got a nice static display. I'll maybe try again to hunt down some videos. Everything I dug up back when I started the thread were for the 9th/10th screwdriver and I found nothing on the 12th. I was looking for 'repair' videos, I hadn't considered 'upgrade' videos. Thanks again for your time. I'll post back as and when I get it sorted.

The button on my 12th sonic is broken, but I've sourced an appropriate replacement tact switch for it. Has anyone ever taken one of these apart? It looks like the battery housing is a snap-together fit, but I don't want to find out the hard way and break it. If it looks like its too difficult to do without trashing it, I'll try and solder the switch in place in-situ, but I'd rather get it apart. Anybody got any experience or advice on how to get it apart without breaking it? Thanks.
What's funny is that I've also been having a button issue and I'm wondering if it is the same. It wont work with how it's supposed to be twisted on but if you go against the threads, it barely comes on and just idles or beeps for a moment. I've been searching the internet for weeks trying to figure out how to open mine up and ive finally figured it out. I looked inside everything but the actual handle. My components were fine but im sure it's in the actual handle and that seems to be the harder part because i'm not too sure if it'll go well opening it up. I don't want to pop the handle off incase i break something but that seems to be the only way. If you do want to know how to open the actual top piece though, you'll have to commit to it being a project sonic because the pins in the claws are not going to be pressed anymore if you take them out but you can replace them with small nuts and bolts. After taking them off, there's two screws under the emitter behind the claws to undo. The copper bars where the sliding mechanism is have two false bars that aren't actually apart of the cage piece and are clicked in and partially glued in to stay that way. I use a flathead screwdriver to get them off . There's a couple screws in the plastic crown piece at the top of the slider cage as well. The 3D printed plastic pieces all just loosen up and the slider piece should as well. After taking that out out, the green center piece with the actual technology inside is going to be a little tough because its partially glued as well, just be slow but apply a lot of pressure and it'll pop out. The green center piece is kinda like a case, you'll see two clip like things on the sides. Make sure to remember where all the little pieces go because i did not put mine back together perfectly and the slider is bein weird but thats how i got mine open. I just want to figure out the handle piece because it wont turn on

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back