Walking Dead - Daryl Dixon's New Bike Replica Build

Made some decent progress yesterday. Got the kick starter functional, just need to get the momentary switch mounted so I can use it for starting.

Also got the battery box finished.

20160716_154020.jpg

20160716_154034.jpg

1468697885533.jpg

20160716_154120.jpg

Attachments

• 20160716_154020.jpg
    20160716_154020.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 157
  • 20160716_154020.jpg
    20160716_154020.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 195
  • 20160716_154034.jpg
    20160716_154034.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 216
  • 20160716_154034.jpg
    20160716_154034.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 223
  • 1468697885533.jpg
    1468697885533.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 170
  • 20160716_154120.jpg
    20160716_154120.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 211
  • 20160716_154120.jpg
    20160716_154120.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 170
  • 1468697885533.jpg
    1468697885533.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 177
Last edited by a moderator:
Got the motor in and starting to mess with wiring.. Have a question about the brake light indicator.. Have any idea what they did there? Doesn't look like
rhey kept the ring on the right rear bar that attached via the long spring to the brake pedal.. Can see where they ran wiring if they left it in stock place.. Making progress!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 414
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 401
Studying the screen shots, I have not been able to find a single shot of behind that frame piece where they mount it. I dont really see a reason for them to not use it, you can hardly tell it is there. I was planning on leaving mine mounted in the stock location. I did however see that there are two additional bag mounts along that lower rail that I need to weld on. Looking good though, Im genuinely jealous of the progress. I get about 4 hours or so to work on it a week, so progress has been slow to say the least.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Yeah the only thing that threw me for a loop was the wiring.. Tell ya what too for a heads up.. your battery tray is affixed to the frame part and bolts on but when you go back to putting stuff together slide the brake rod (splined one that connects to the foot brake) through the whole before you bolt the rear swing arm on.. I almost had to take it all about just to slide the rod through there!

the only think I can think of is that they welded on keeper tabs to the frame or screwed in single wire loom holders here and there to keep the wiring up and around that rounded apex for the brake indicator.. I'm going to make some very small ones out of stainless and dip them in that plastidip to run the wires for that thing and keep the stock setup as well.. Looked around down low behind the right muffer and don't like the idea of mounting the base side on the swing arm with the other end on main frame.. just seems like a recipe for something to break on extension.

Yeah I haven't been putting as much time in as I'd like to on the bike but the closer I get the faster I'm working on it! lol

Got the rear rack going today should have it finished up and on the bike by tomorrow then will knock out the front screen and headlight.. Will tell you the best place to find that big washer for the front grill is a tractor supply company.. I could find a lot of them that were close but none that were large enough or made of stainless!

Were the erector set pieces and curved brackets (for the crossbow rack) a found item or did you fabricate both?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Those are pretty simple, yellow pages for someone in the area that does garage doors.. 9 times out of ten they will have a ton of these laying around in various sizes.. just have to find a set.. that's the piece that connects the door opener to the door.. I think they call them hockey sticks.. textured the ones on the frame to match the bike and just grinded the other ones to metal.. they aren't 304 stainless though so when I'm done with the rack I'm gonna matte clear them just to give them a little protection..

Working on the front end some, hopefully have it wrapped up, can't believe how much stainless I've had to use on the bike! Ordered stainless for the engine guards but pretty sure its simply galvanized metal off of hogfence.. had some of that in the backyard and its been there for years without rusting so its going on the bike lol

forks.jpg

Making some more progress! Decided to re-blast the tank and do it over as I kinda went crazy with the patina on the first go-round.. first one on the left and the second on the right.. pleased with the results!
Photo May 31, 1 00 55 PM.jpgPhoto May 31, 1 00 40 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 30, 8 27 43 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 30, 8 38 33 PM.jpg

Finally getting the thing put back together of sorts!

Photo Jul 29, 12 24 22 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 30, 8 40 55 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 30, 8 42 53 PM.jpg

Have some advice when you start messing with cutting the exhaust.. The easiest way to get the can out of there intact are to drill out the "spot welds' right at the area where the walking bike is to be cut.. I had two on each pipe... drill those two out on each side then you can easily use regular cut off wheel but don't run it any deeper that and 1/8 inch or so all the way around... the discarded pipe section will come off with the baffle complete... I went caveman on the thing and did the grinder cut all the way around and sawzall'ed the crap out of the thing and cut off a few inches of the baffle stuff.

Going to play around tomorrow with making some baffles.. have no idea yet how I'm going to do it but I got a set of older sportster baffles from a buddy... will do something to cap off the flow of gases and probably wrap a shortened version of the sportster baffle with fiberglass or steel wool.. have you thought about how your going to do yours?

Photo Jul 30, 10 43 59 AM.jpg

The more I look at this wiring harness the more I think its coming completely apart and being redone.. NOT looking forward to that part but will give me something to do while waiting on the seat to be done I suppose.. Still haven't figured out what do in regards to the baffles but will start sorting that one out in the a.m.
Photo Jul 31, 7 24 55 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 31, 7 25 01 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 31, 7 25 13 PM.jpg

Ordered the brake lines for $110 from Cycle brakes, comes with the hardware which doesn't seem to bad.. got the length info and banjo degree angles from John so they should be spot on, will let you know when I get them on!

Photo Aug 01, 10 52 08 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Is John sure about those lengths? I ran some rubber tubing as a test and the short side came out around 35-36"

Based on the lines Cory picked up for his build, it was 36" on the throttle side and 37.5" on the clutch side. Mine should be here tomorrow so I can see how they look on the bike. Either way I would be stuck with them for the time being, custom lines are non-refundable.

Did you end up sending your seat out to be done? I am working on the seat pan now, just need to find a local guy who can make up the cover for me.

As for the exhaust, the one I got off eBay was already gutted. The jet kit I installed is set up to run without the baffles so I don't have a plan to add them in. Cory runs his without as well. Classified I believe made some custom ones, probably cut down from an existing aftermarket one.

I really like the second go at the tank, sometimes less is more, but it definitely looks better.

How close are you getting it to run? Every day that I log in to check posts, it seems like you get alot done. I'm probably going to look into taking some time off from work and getting as much done as I can. As it is, I haven't had time to work on mine in about a week.

At least somebody is updating my build thread :)

Yah John said not to sue him in regards but told him the setup and he shot me off the actual sheet they use for their orders.. Should have them maybe tomorrow so i'll know in a few if no good or not.. Sure as heck hope they fit, was $110 up in smoke if not lol

Haven't finished the seat pan yet.. that's on my list of things to do this weekend.. I still want to incorporated the stock seat keeper in there to make the bag easily accessible, picked up some cool brass chain and this little brass skull to use as a dongle or pull cord for it..
FullSizeRender1.jpg

Did get some cool LED blinkers ordered today from Revival Cycles that I should have by Friday and grabbed some LED's from radio shack that had built in resistors for the 'mini' console... I'm planning on taking a piece of the stainless punch screen to put indicators, probably just three lamps.. amber, green, and red for turn/neutral/engine oil.. haven't ironed out the details as yet.. But hopefully this weekend.. Plan on butchering the harness this weekend as well!

Here are the blinkers.. they are the size of a quarter and bright as hell.. $100 bucks for 4 of them with the modulator thingy.. I'm not using running lights I want just blinkers.. Once I get them i'll figure out if I'm mounting them on the flat spot by the shock mounts (probably for cleaner look) or making a bracket for them.. I think they are simple or utilitarian enough for the bike.. The front ones will probably go on a small bracket right at each hand control kinda tucked up under there as close as I can to the bars.
LED-Supernova-Lights-Revival-Cycles-000_large.jpgLED-Supernova-Lights-Revival-Cycles-002_large.jpgIMG_3608.JPG

Here are the little Led's for the panel on the bars.. I was looking at various stainless pieces to make something kinda cool for it to hold them.. They were at radio shack and have a resistor already incorporated, only bummer was they didn't have a blue one for high but i'll figure I'll get the one finger salute if I leave them on lol

IMG_3596.JPG

Worth mentioning that I noticed this material while at ACE, its some sort of brass gasket material, figured it would be good to put behind the brass mesh on the tail pipe section, I was wondering whether or not the heat would turn it colors or not but will probably get some of it anyways to see how it looks!
IMG_3599.JPG

The guys at Revival said they get requests all the time for this bike but haven't entertained the notion yet, said my bike will be easy to sell when its done if I choose too lol

Last edited:
Making some more progress! Decided to re-blast the tank and do it over as I kinda went crazy with the patina on the first go-round.. first one on the left and the second on the right.. pleased with the results!
View attachment 649770View attachment 649771View attachment 649772View attachment 649773

Finally getting the thing put back together of sorts!

View attachment 649774View attachment 649775View attachment 649776

Have some advice when you start messing with cutting the exhaust.. The easiest way to get the can out of there intact are to drill out the "spot welds' right at the area where the walking bike is to be cut.. I had two on each pipe... drill those two out on each side then you can easily use regular cut off wheel but don't run it any deeper that and 1/8 inch or so all the way around... the discarded pipe section will come off with the baffle complete... I went caveman on the thing and did the grinder cut all the way around and sawzall'ed the crap out of the thing and cut off a few inches of the baffle stuff.

Going to play around tomorrow with making some baffles.. have no idea yet how I'm going to do it but I got a set of older sportster baffles from a buddy... will do something to cap off the flow of gases and probably wrap a shortened version of the sportster baffle with fiberglass or steel wool.. have you thought about how your going to do yours?

View attachment 649777

AMAZING thread!!! You guys are doing a fantastic job on your builds! As a Nighthawk owner myself this thread is inspiring! I would love to attempt to do this to my hawk, but it looks like quite the undertaking. I'll settle for just swapping my bars and maybe the front end swap. Heck, if you guys are selling them I'd buy them! Keep it up guys!!

Ragtop, where did you end up cutting the exhaust? From the CM pics looks like its just before the rear mounting point? I was thinking of cutting my exhaust. Thanks for the help.

So I had a few hours this week, managed to get the front grill welded up, just missing the mounting tabs and machine bushings.

20160806_114735.jpg

The machine washers have been a bear to track down. There are no hardware stores in our area that carry machine bushings. I checked Lowes, Home Depot, ACE, and a mom and pop place over here. Fortunately this weekend I went to Tavares to visit my grandparents. There was a Rural King and a Tractor Supply there and between the two of them, I managed to pick up what I think are the right sizes. I picked up two of every size they had there just in case.

20160806_144851.jpg

I also test fitted the Galfer lines. I think one side of the lines is crimped on upside down, which causes the lines to twist when installed like the reference photos. It may be ok when the grill is installed.

20160807_195610.jpg

1470614303135.jpg

That's it for now.

Last edited:
So the guys over at Galfer just emailed me back. The banjos can actually be rotated!! Did not know that....so as soon as I get home, I will be fixing the twist in the lines.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back