Walking Dead - Daryl Dixon's New Bike Replica Build

Yeah, was gonna mention that one.. It's best to mount to master cylinder and run the line where you need it. A rag around the crimp and a pair of pliers to hold it, then put a screwdriver in the banjo and orient it where you need it... don't do it excessively though.. once!

Grill is looking good.. I spent the weekend working on the rear rack and setting it up! Used stainless for every thing except the station posts.. cold rolled 3/8" so that I could use the regular old small paint rollers on the three smaller ones.... on the big fatty I used the handlebar foam that came with the bars.. had to wrap some duct table (kinda wrinkled it up on itself as I wrapped it to add bulk) around the 3/8 stud for the big one.. used the tape and got some RIT brown liquid dye for the color.. just brushed it directly on.. i'll touch it up some to give it some more realistic color but pleased with the results!

Will be dropping the seat off in the a.m sometime to get it wrapped up, guy that's doing it assures me i'll have it back in a day, will see about that! lol

Still haven't made the baffles for the exhaust but hopefully tomorrow before work!

unspecifiedVIYXWNUM.jpgunspecifiedGU7AKI23.jpgunspecifiedO0G7E6ON.jpg
unspecified2T43GC08.jpgunspecifiedF6REHAIX.jpgunspecified34234.jpg

I'm looking around for another bike to start on.. like the cleanliness of this BMW engine setup, of course strip it down to parade rest but would be interesting bike! Or the concours below it.. yes, there is something wrong with me! lol

Look at the lines on stripping down the bmw, can see all kinds of possibility with a cool set of wheels!

00e0e_cYHjuXF13zW_1200x900.jpg00h0h_756O3T2Q0FR_1200x900.jpg

And the Concours look swicked naked as well!

Attachments

• concoursvert.jpg
    concoursvert.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
AMAZING thread!!! You guys are doing a fantastic job on your builds! As a Nighthawk owner myself this thread is inspiring! I would love to attempt to do this to my hawk, but it looks like quite the undertaking. I'll settle for just swapping my bars and maybe the front end swap. Heck, if you guys are selling them I'd buy them! Keep it up guys!!

Ragtop, where did you end up cutting the exhaust? From the CM pics looks like its just before the rear mounting point? I was thinking of cutting my exhaust. Thanks for the help.

Thanks bro! To be honest it's way more than I thought when I started! Lots and lots and lots of metal fab, mullah and just time in general to get it right!

Yah, I pretty much just ran some tape around the pipe in one looked fairly square... used an 1/8" 4.5 wheel on a dewalt cutter and sink it in no more than about an 1/8" all the way around or you will cut into the internal stock baffles (on big deal for me, I used a long sawzall blade to cut through the rest of it anyways), but it's smarter at that point to do ahead and drill out the pinch welds (was three on mine) so the whole baffle will come out complete.. hopefully that mad some sense..

From the rear of the exhaust forward the baffle extends about an inch or two past where I made the but behind the mounting bracket.. only thing keeping it in after the cut is the pinch welds.

Thanks bro! To be honest it's way more than I thought when I started! Lots and lots and lots of metal fab, mullah and just time in general to get it right!

Yah, I pretty much just ran some tape around the pipe in one looked fairly square... used an 1/8" 4.5 wheel on a dewalt cutter and sink it in no more than about an 1/8" all the way around or you will cut into the internal stock baffles (on big deal for me, I used a long sawzall blade to cut through the rest of it anyways), but it's smarter at that point to do ahead and drill out the pinch welds (was three on mine) so the whole baffle will come out complete.. hopefully that mad some sense..

From the rear of the exhaust forward the baffle extends about an inch or two past where I made the but behind the mounting bracket.. only thing keeping it in after the cut is the pinch welds.

I bet man! Since I've never done any metal fab EVER don't think I would attempt this on my own... but LOVE watching the progress you guys have made!

Thanks for the tips on the exhaust! I've drilled out the rivets holding the baffles in to pull them out like some guys on youtube have done. Those baffles are not budging, think I'm just gonna chop 'em.

Yeah, was gonna mention that one.. It's best to mount to master cylinder and run the line where you need it. A rag around the crimp and a pair of pliers to hold it, then put a screwdriver in the banjo and orient it where you need it... don't do it excessively though.. once!

Grill is looking good.. I spent the weekend working on the rear rack and setting it up! Used stainless for every thing except the station posts.. cold rolled 3/8" so that I could use the regular old small paint rollers on the three smaller ones.... on the big fatty I used the handlebar foam that came with the bars.. had to wrap some duct table (kinda wrinkled it up on itself as I wrapped it to add bulk) around the 3/8 stud for the big one.. used the tape and got some RIT brown liquid dye for the color.. just brushed it directly on.. i'll touch it up some to give it some more realistic color but pleased with the results!

Will be dropping the seat off in the a.m sometime to get it wrapped up, guy that's doing it assures me i'll have it back in a day, will see about that! lol

Still haven't made the baffles for the exhaust but hopefully tomorrow before work!

View attachment 652738View attachment 652740View attachment 652741
View attachment 652742View attachment 652743View attachment 652744

I'm looking around for another bike to start on.. like the cleanliness of this BMW engine setup, of course strip it down to parade rest but would be interesting bike! Or the concours below it.. yes, there is something wrong with me! lol

Look at the lines on stripping down the bmw, can see all kinds of possibility with a cool set of wheels!

View attachment 652745View attachment 652988

And the Concours look swicked naked as well!

Frame looks awesome, you got the detailing down perfectly! Where did you say you bought the taillight and headlight from?

You'll have to let us know where you post the progress for the next build! I'm digging the bmw!

Thanks for the tips on the exhaust! I've drilled out the rivets holding the baffles in to pull them out like some guys on youtube have done. Those baffles are not budging, think I'm just gonna chop 'em.

Odds are ya just got go a little bigger with the drill bit.. I had one kind of hang on and it would come out either.. that's about the time I said to heck with it and used the sawzall.. but telling ya, that last little inch and some change would have been nice to have saved to make a holder for the new baffle as it would take a simple notch to slide back down in the exhaust to hold everything together.. I kinda wish now that I wouldn't have messed it up so badly lol

I'll take a look at the receipts to see where those came from... they are kinda of a generic setup and wasn't much at all.. I think like 25 for the headlight and 20 for the taillight..

Odds are ya just got go a little bigger with the drill bit.. I had one kind of hang on and it would come out either.. that's about the time I said to heck with it and used the sawzall.. but telling ya, that last little inch and some change would have been nice to have saved to make a holder for the new baffle as it would take a simple notch to slide back down in the exhaust to hold everything together.. I kinda wish now that I wouldn't have messed it up so badly lol

Gonna give it a go! I was looking at the gear wrench exhaust cutter to cut the pipe.... but I don't know, saw a few vids on youtube, the thing cuts so clean might be able to do it while its still mounted.

I'll take a look at the receipts to see where those came from... they are kinda of a generic setup and wasn't much at all.. I think like 25 for the headlight and 20 for the taillight..

Nice! Thats right inline with my budget, haha. Appreciate the help!

Dixon bike looks really great!!
Is it legal by the way to drive around with the bow and arrows?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

So I got the brake lines all straitened out, grip and twist and you're done. Here is my order sheet, I ended up going directly through Galfer. Total with tax and shipping came out to $133.26. These specs are based off of screen shots sent to Galfer and them identifying the correct fittings, I used the lengths Cory provided and the fit perfectly.

Brakes.png

I also managed to track down the correct garage door parts. When searching, you need to be careful as the part numbers have 2 different looks. There was a manufacturing change, so all the new ones are incorrect. The top pictures are the incorrect current model, the bottom ones are the older correct model. Be careful, Amazon and eBay have listings that use the old pictures but send you the new ones. Be sure to contact the seller to verify before purchasing.

Strait%20Arm.png

curved%20arm.png

Also manage to get my seat pan cut and bent. Based on how it sits, I may need to take another 1/8" off the edges so that it sits on the frame like in the reference photos.

20160809_190633.jpg

Yeah, messing with that seat is no joke.. I've been doing it for almost 3 days, yeah you wil trim and retrim many times! Some quick grips helped a lot holding it in place and then taped a sharpie to a pencil to trace around the frame edge.. little at a time, over and over

Messed around with a spare helmet I had, put some fake blood and such on it.. putting some punch screen on the side plates with the cool metric screws and some brass washers... Going to wrap 1/8" steel across the top side and 3/16" along the bottom and run some vertical bands.. probably look a little mad max but certainly zombie proof..

unspecifiedLZDNBD7E.jpg

I wanted to use the quick release mechanism off of stock bike so I welded a bracket up today.. Going to hang that little brass chain and skull on it to be the handle for it I think..

unspecified82A0LN0E.jpgunspecifiedEOHR4P4Y.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 301
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 265
Last edited:
More shots of the other side of the pan.

20160811_212803.jpg

20160811_212754.jpg

The garage door bars also came today as well. These things are VERY hard to find brand new.

1470961742572.jpg

Also got some more work done on the grill. Im still working on the mounting tabs and the lower mount.

FB_IMG_1470958631805.jpg

Looking good! Stopped by and picked up some of the car door edging stuff and wrapped it around the seat pan, was surprised that one pack of 2
actually covered the whole pan! and it was cheap!

Will be finishing up that rear bracket to hold the seat down, debating tucking the blinkers up under the seat or mounting them similar to the way
the brake light is mounted.. think i'll take one of the bolts out and just put in the blinker in the bolt whole.. May do that cause there won't be any issue with visibility down there.

Oh! wanted to mention I noticed something trying to sort out where to run the electrical for the rear brake light.. I haven't tested the path yet and I think I need to drill an exit whole somewhere near the battery but it looks like down below where it mounts there is space or a whole in front of the aluminum sliders for adjusting chain slack.. If my theory is right that is probably what they did with the brake light wiring.. that slider will never go anywhere but towards the rear of the bike with chain stretch. If it checks out i'll let you know.. i'll probably drill in a small 'keeper' just to make sure that it's impossible for that to line to get caught up in the chain.

Stupid question: I got my 750 right hand control today clearly I need to drill a hole in the bottom of my handlebar so this extra long piece fits, and keeps the throttle tight in place, YES??!
10fxbg8.jpg
. Thanks!!

Yeah, you'll need to drill a hole for that pin... Surprisingly my left switches don't have a pin like that.. Be careful to mark correctly right where you want it and use an auto center punch to keep the drill bit in place.. I over did mine a bit and used a small piece of electrical tape in the hole to keep it in place...

Finally got the seat pan squared away.. What a pain! Used for edge trim to keep leather edge intact and had to grind some more pan away, but got front hooks in and the stock latching system hooked up...
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Moved into wiring today and that's going to be challenging.. Built a little tray that is also the
license plate holder.. The two bolts that hold the crossbow braces on hold the tray.. Looks like I should be able to
get the fuse box (may bypass that altogether with Walmart mini inline fuses though), the brain box and a relay..
Trying to minimize splices but it's gonna be a challenge to do that!

played with the blinkers again, still shocked at how bright they are!! Was going to use red led's for the license plate holder but they
are junk so went with the aluminum bodied white ones with the. Blinkers on the bottom..

image.jpeg

Here's a good laugh! Anyone know what a "winker" is?!? Lol
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    933.7 KB · Views: 300
Looked at how to place those electrical components for what seemed like hours.. Decided build the tray
in the between the shock mounts.. Will get three of them hidden well, fuse box, brain box and I think it's the actual
flasher.. Was gonna use the skull on my keys but liked how it looked on the bike! Had to cut off the tabs from where I was originally going to put the plate.. I don't think i'll have any suspension travel issues but I notched the bottom of the plate holder a bit just in case.. from the sides the whole thing is completely hidden.. two single while led's up top and the hella bright turns on the bottom...

I got the turns without the running lights controller but now wondering if I should go ahead and have the running lights?? what do you guys think.. blinkers only or running lights?!?

Photo Aug 14, 1 50 06 PM.jpgPhoto Aug 14, 2 19 13 PM.jpgPhoto Aug 14, 2 34 35 PM.jpg
Photo Aug 14, 6 05 37 PM.jpgPhoto Aug 14, 8 17 07 PM.jpgPhoto Aug 14, 8 19 44 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back