Volunteer Work in Cosplay- Any Experiences?

Shades

So, My suits are almost always on display in my apartment and a few months ago at a party someone mentioned that she knew someone that had volunteered at a children's hospital dressed as batman and asked if I ever had done anything like that.

Just so happens my girlfriend works in marketing for the local hospital and is working on contacting the right program director. So I can explore this idea further.

I am wondering if anyone here has any experience doing this and what tips or advice you might be able to give me. I am very excited about the idea, but I am also a little nervous because sick kids are very different then drunk people at the bar or fan boys at a con.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Its a great thing to do. The Children's Hospital near me will let you walk through as long as you contact them first. The staff will usually guide you on how to go about it.

I am a member of multiple costume groups that do this, It is supremely rewarding to help out and volunteer your time at the Childrens Hospital. Nothing is better than seeing a kids light up when Darth Maul or Wolverine walks into the room. Trust me do it you will not regret your decision!

I've found that children think you are that character and not a person dressed up. That illusion will last them a lifetime, so be in character and become that character and you won't go wrong.

What Cal said. You're all great for doing this. The closest I've come is running in this years Course of the Force as Lando Calrissian.

The 501st and Rebel Legion (and pretty much every other organized costume group) does this on a pretty regular basis.

It's definitely a lot of fun. It's great to bring a smile to someone who doesn't have much to smile about. Kids are always the most fun as well. To them you are Chewie, Superman, or whoever you are dressed up as.

One thing I really liked was that our organizer (who was always so on top of things) would have coloring sheets of all the characters that day to give to the kids. The kids would sometimes ask for our signatures and then they'd have something to keep after we left. I always thought that was pretty awesome. =)

My biggest advice it to follow their rules and regulations. It is a very rewarding experience and I love doing it, however it was nearly ruined for my group by another group who didn't follow the rules and according to the director "acted very bizarrely". It took forever to even get us in there because of this incident.

Update: So "Robin" and I are doing this at the end of next month. I am very excited and very nervous at the same time.

Does anyone have any tips on how to approach the kids? What do you say to them? Any insight would really help. I am great at winging it and I am sure I will get into it, but any loose ideas would help me be less nervous.

It scares some kids or they shy away from you.

I find it best to wave to them & try to get them to shake your hand. Most of the time it puts them at ease.

Not something I like doing - I don't like to see sick kids.

Fair play to you.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back