Viper Pilot Flightsuit (Ron Moore's) Battlestar Galactica

Do you still have photos of the back scales? How did you finish them?

This is the best suit I've ever seen. You have done a great thing in showing folks how to do this right. I've been grabbing pics from all over the net and none show the level of detail yours do.

Thanks, guys!

I used a textured vinyl to make the back scales. I wasn't able to find a color anywhere close to what I wanted, so I used spray paint to get the bronze... Then I sewed them on with a really big sewing machine (sorry for the blur!)

The reason the suit looks so good in the earlier photo is that it was shot by a professional; here's what it typically looked like in action:

And here is what a replica made out of the real Sommers material looks like:

Your suit is just brilliant mate! For a material that is not the original, you found an excellent substitute.

Any chance you could share the pattern?

Baz.

Great job here, could you tell me how the front vest is attached at the back of the shoulders?

I can!

Snaps! All the dark metal circles on that front vest are functional snaps. There are two on each side at the back of the shoulders.

You can see them in action in (probably the pilot) when the Chief grabs Boomer's vest and rips it right off of the flightsuit before kissing her...

Thanks for reposting the pics! What did you substitute for the green fabric?

A pretty wacky vinyl that was more green/purple than green/gold. It went out of production about a year after I made it, so I have not been much help finding fabric for people.

As a side note, the material had a serious drawback; it literally melts. After hanging in a nice, cool closet for about 7 years, the plastic is just running off, and making horrible black smudges that won't wash off on anything it touches!

I can!

Snaps! All the dark metal circles on that front vest are functional snaps. There are two on each side at the back of the shoulders.

You can see them in action in (probably the pilot) when the Chief grabs Boomer's vest and rips it right off of the flightsuit before kissing her...
That's great thank you,I will look that up, I have a 12" figure i am putting together of Boomer!
Cheers

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back