VCX-100 (ILM Version) Parts ID Help

JaytheChou

Hello! This is my very first post on this website! Since the Ahsoka series is coming out in a couple of months, I wanted to model the VCX-100 Light Freighter (Ghost). I am striving for almost a 1:1 comparison to the ILM model seen in Rogue One and The Rise of Skywalker. This model will be a CG asset and wont be used for 3d printing.

I know that parts of the Millenium Falcon have been used to detail this ship, and i've already started ID'ing some parts as you can see below. One of the challenge is figuring out which parts were brought from the Falcon and which parts created for the Ghost. I have been on a rabbit hole on this site looking at amazing threads of people ID'ing parts of the Falcon, I just figured it would be faster to ID the parts on the Ghost instead of cross referencing, since my knowledge of the Falcon part is still minimal.

Another challenge is finding high resolution photos of the ILM model. These are some photos i've found and upscaled. but I've seen people successfully ID parts from a blurry photo!
ID_Parts.png

LgBg8GJqnMmyhpotKX_22-transformed.jpeg

I also came across fan art from a talented artist who did a fantastic job modeling the Ghost in CG. It includes many angles, but he had to improvise some parts. This is a resource for ID'ing parts.

I am still in the reference / blockout stage
1689540808214.png
1689542288111.png
1689542320218.png

Any help would be appreciated!

In the plan view above, the sponsor cargo holds are shown as meeting along a 'wedge' with the fuselage. That is incorrect, it should be a parallel plane, like a thick 'spacer' plate.
This shows it fairly clearly:
GHOST LANDED_arrows.jpg

I think the 'shadow' in many views throws folks off... Cheers!
R/ Robert

In the plan view above, the sponsor cargo holds are shown as meeting along a 'wedge' with the fuselage. That is incorrect, it should be a parallel plane, like a thick 'spacer' plate.
This shows it fairly clearly:
View attachment 1719803
I think the 'shadow' in many views throws folks off... Cheers!
R/ Robert
I thought so too! But then I saw the comparison between the rebels ship and Rogue one and it looks tapered towards the top

1689575800428.png
1689575913253.png

Jay, that may also be a panel line artifact and not the actual contour. Those 3D modeling tools can be so sophisticated that that could be due to a reflection bouncing in a shadow area... if you look at the opposite side, it seems the *other* way as I described. Need more views!
Cheers! Regards, Robert

PS: Does it seem both turrets are unmanned in that view? I can't quite make out any heads...

Jay, that may also be a panel line artifact and not the actual contour. Those 3D modeling tools can be so sophisticated that that could be due to a reflection bouncing in a shadow area... if you look at the opposite side, it seems the *other* way as I described. Need more views!
Cheers! Regards, Robert

PS: Does it seem both turrets are unmanned in that view? I can't quite make out any heads...
Thanks Robert! Will triple check. There are some notable differences to the Rebels model. For example, the aft/rear of the ship is longer and covers the engines more on the Rogue One model. Also the docking port is thicker and tapered at the bottom instead of straight.
1689664651699.png

As for the unmanned turrets, doesn't seem to be anyone in the cockpit. The ship is close enough to camera (right behind the Falcon which was front and center!) to show people in the cockpit, however the whole shot lasted for just a second.

Also, I haven't seen the Ghost in any of the Ahsoka live action trailers...

I've made little progress in ID'ing some parts. It would be great if these parts can be confirmed.
VCX_100_ID_PARTS.png

Also, these pieces in front of the top turret looks like it's from the Nichimo 1/200 Type IX-C Submarine
1689663747400.png
1689663863681.png
1689663938285.png

Cheers, Regards, Jason

This couldn't have come at a better time!

"As just announced at Comic-Con, Hasbro is developing a high-quality and extremely large version of The Ghost as part of the Star Wars: The Vintage Collection line. The ship measures a whopping 28 inches by 34 inches and sits at over 13 inches tall, making it the biggest Vintage Collection vehicle since the Jabba's Sail Barge set."

When you say 'the ILM model', was there an actual physical filming model of the Ghost?.
Looking at the donor kit parts & sizing such as the wankel engine half, it would be a darn big model, similar to the 5 foot Falcon!.
Loads of partially identifiable I can see straight off, but that's taken off a digital kit part library yes?.

Stu

When you say 'the ILM model', was there an actual physical filming model of the Ghost?.
Looking at the donor kit parts & sizing such as the wankel engine half, it would be a darn big model, similar to the 5 foot Falcon!.
Loads of partially identifiable I can see straight off, but that's taken off a digital kit part library yes?.

Stu
There was no physical model made, only in CG. So yes, all these parts presumably came from their digital kitbash library.

SB

Been working on the engines and the Phantom 2
1691800219070.png

I've decided to model after the Haslab version because it's easier to reference. However, there are some scale issues like how the character is giant compared to the front ramp...
1691800305392.png

This scale should be more correct

1691800775229.png

Turntable of my blockout so far. It's noticeably chunkier than the ILM version, assuming its to fit the 3.75 inch figures in the playset.

I decided to model some more open pits on the Ghost because I really like how they look. I'll take another look at it tomorrow to see if I still like it or if its too busy!
1692404780254.png

Its just a flat surface on the ILM model and on a panel on the Haslab version. I think the bevel on the front of the panel makes the whole piece look out of place (especially on top of a hard edge panel piece.
1692404995814.png
1692405038911.png

Let me know what you guys think! Can't wait for Ahsoka!

Okay... I gotta force myself to stop model cutaway details! This would be cool in a close up scene of one of the characters doing maintenance on it! Hope everyone is doing okay. I'm caught up in a storm in California, but it's not to bad! Hope the power doesn't go out!
1692586488740.png

1692586621799.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back