Vacum Pumps for silicone

Greg Austin

Help PLEASE !!!!!!!

Im making my own vacuum chamber and I really need someones help. Im looking for the right vacuum pump to buy that can pull the 28/29 inches of mercury needed for degasing Ecoflex silicone. I guess the BIGGEST help would be any kind of link to where I can find this specific vacuum, I look on line but wasnt sure if the ones on ebay for $150-$200 would work, If anyone could let me know what make and model they use for this exact thing please let me know, any links to buying the pump or name and model would help me so much and be so appreciated

I use the 3CFM pump from Harbor Freight and it works just fine for Ecoflex. It'll pull 28" in about 15-20 seconds, and can hit 29.2-29.5ish in about 3-4 minutes. It's that last tiny bit that is the toughest.

Thank you yodajammies, Ive been looking at that pump and wanted to make sure it would work, Do you think that pump will work for the amount of silicone used in a silicone mask ? but hey thanks againit really helps

Thanks, Ive seen the ones from harbor freight but does anyone have a pic of their pump and chamber set up ? and if I got the one from Harbor Freight what kind of tubing would fit that pump and where would I get it

Thanks, Ive seen the ones from harbor freight but does anyone have a pic of their pump and chamber set up ? and if I got the one from Harbor Freight what kind of tubing would fit that pump and where would I get it

I have pics in my Hellboy build thread (page 4). I got the tubing and all the fittings at an auto parts store. The chamber was also from Harbor Freight - it was a paint pressure pot that I removed the lid and added a clear acrylic lid (which I ended up having to reinforce).

attachment.php

I have pics in my Hellboy build thread (page 4). I got the tubing and all the fittings at an auto parts store. The chamber was also from Harbor Freight - it was a paint pressure pot that I removed the lid and added a clear acrylic lid (which I ended up having to reinforce).

how thick was the acrylic you used?
Based on reading, would a thicker one not have needed it, and did you have to do anything special to get the pot to seal?

how thick was the acrylic you used?
Based on reading, would a thicker one not have needed it, and did you have to do anything special to get the pot to seal?

The acrylic I used was 1/4". In hindsight, I should have used something about 1" (hence the fact that I had to reinforce).

To seal the pot, I got a rubber floor mat from Home Depot (this exact one here), and cut it into the shape of a gasket.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back