V2 vented pommel

Anakin Starkiller

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello everyone,

Since I originally released my 2018 V2 fx lightsaber kit, I've had numerous requests from builders for me to offer a pommel option with sound venting at the bottom of the part. I originally did not plan to do this, because I figured that it would make more sense to vent sound under the clamp section. However, in the past two years, the chassis that have become available for my 2018 V2 kit and my Builders Kit (which I currently sell at atsarsend.com) are designed to vent sound out the bottom of the saber hilt.

So, after a lot of ask, I'm planning to do a small run of v2 pommels with vented bottoms, to allow builders to have the option to vent sound out the bottom and avoid having to drill their static pommels.

My question is, do you think it would be better to continue the AS venting design I came up with during my hero saber run. Or should I go with something more traditional. I'm partial to the AS design, because I like the in universe idea of Luke using an updated equivalent to the Armitage Shanks handwheel in building his lightsaber. But, I'm like to see is anyone else agrees or disagrees.

Here's a pic of what I'm planning at this point.
v2 venter pommel.JPG

I have no dog in this fight, but vent holes that mimic the dents and weathering of the original would look cool if possible.

Hello everyone,

Since I originally released my 2018 V2 fx lightsaber kit, I've had numerous requests from builders for me to offer a pommel option with sound venting at the bottom of the part. I originally did not plan to do this, because I figured that it would make more sense to vent sound under the clamp section. However, in the past two years, the chassis that have become available for my 2018 V2 kit and my Builders Kit (which I currently sell at atsarsend.com) are designed to vent sound out the bottom of the saber hilt.

So, after a lot of ask, I'm planning to do a small run of v2 pommels with vented bottoms, to allow builders to have the option to vent sound out the bottom and avoid having to drill their static pommels.

My question is, do you think it would be better to continue the AS venting design I came up with during my hero saber run. Or should I go with something more traditional. I'm partial to the AS design, because I like the in universe idea of Luke using an updated equivalent to the Armitage Shanks handwheel in building his lightsaber. But, I'm like to see is anyone else agrees or disagrees.

Here's a pic of what I'm planning at this point.
View attachment 1323458

YES YEA YES!!! 100% in for the logo!!

I have no dog in this fight, but vent holes that mimic the dents and weathering of the original would look cool if possible.
I had considered this. But, with traditional machining, it would be really hard to get something that looks like we all imagine in our head. The thing is, to cut these holes in an aluminum cap with a reasonably thick wall, you need a milling bit with a diameter bigger then the scratches and dents seen on the original pommel. So, instead of replicating the weathering pattern of the original, you'd more then likely end up with a bunch of crayon drawing shaped drawings that look a bit of a mess. Like you tried to drawn on the weathering pattern with a thick marker.

I had considered this. But, with traditional machining, it would be really hard to get something that looks like we all imagine in our head. The thing is, to cut these holes in an aluminum cap with a reasonably thick wall, you need a milling bit with a diameter bigger then the scratches and dents seen on the original pommel. So, instead of replicating the weathering pattern of the original, you'd more then likely end up with a bunch of crayon drawing shaped drawings that look a bit of a mess. Like you tried to drawn on the weathering pattern with a thick marker.
Eh. It was just a thought. If I were into the electronic saber scene, I personally would endeavor to hide the compromises to accuracy in the weathering. I'm imagining one off stuff though, not a multiple part run such as yourself. Using micro files, gouges, scribes, and small drill bits it could be done I think.

what if a conical bit was used to chamfer the openings from inside the pommel? (Devils advocate question for the 'weathered' venting' idea)

Granted... acoustics there would probably be rough as well. :unsure:

what if a conical bit was used to chamfer the openings from inside the pommel? (Devils advocate question for the 'weathered' venting' idea)

Granted... acoustics there would probably be rough as well. :unsure:
I was envisioning something like holes drilled from the outside that angle down and towards the center, where I would assume the speaker would be mounted. Making the inside concave would then accomplish your chamfering idea too.

Last edited:
I don’t have one of your
Hilts, however i really like the idea of the
Armitage shanks update idea for
Luke’s saber.
perhaps brass mesh could be used inside the pommel to highlight the shanks logo.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back