Using 3D printed visor buck for 3D Printing?

Narrator

Good Evening, Im currently building a helmet that uses a really large visor. I have printed the visor buck from PLA (Very temperature sensitive). Do any of you have experience with pulling a form off of a 3D printed part? Are there any other options you could recommend? I have thrown around the idea of making a mold to pour a buck out of Smooth on resin, but I am not confident in my Mold Making skills..:(

PLA will melt/ deform in my experience. If you are deadset on using the raw 3D I'd go with ABS if you plan on pulling PETG over it. In my personal opinion I would mold your buck and cast it out of something like Hydrocal.

The PLA may break under the stress of vacuforming. Also, if multiple concavities, it may be tough to get final product out of the vacuform.

Print the PLA thick and put stiff support underneath. Coat it with an epoxy resin to strengthen it.

It would be easier to guide you if we saw the buck.

Thanks for all of your replies. The Visor is for a Guy Manuel Daft Punk Helmet, so the visor is pretty large. I have been smoothing it with fiberglass resin and sanding down to get all the print lines out. Ill try to get a picture up.

Here is the Visor with the second coat of resin. I was thinking of using some expanding foam to build it up and create sides and raise it off the table a little.

Attachments

• 20220307_210352.jpg
    20220307_210352.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 102
Vacuform is prolly your best method. I would use something heavier on the back to weigh it down and definitely get the jaw-line angles off the ground, not much is necessary, but get it elevated.

There is a great video of a lady with PetG visor dyeing it black. From a distance, you cannot see inside, but up to your face, the wearer can see through it. Hot water and fabric dye, I believe.

I hope this helps. Looks great so far!

Last edited:
The title to this thread is a bit confusing. To me it suggests you are using a buck for your 3D printing.

You can use PLA as a buck, however, PLA will soften at a very low temperature as you know. The fiberglass resin over it should provide some resistance to transferring the heat to the PLA, but if you have an air gun ready, right after you do the pull, this should reduce the amount of heat transferred.

TazMan2000

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back