Uruku Hai helmet in steel

Blaxmyth

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've hit a delay in finishing my Witch King helmet while my friend sources some really dirty waste diesel engine oil for quenching it. So decided to start on an Uruk Hai helmet based on a pepakura one I made for my son-in-law. I've made some paper templates and I'll refine these as I build the prototype, then make some MDF templates. I plan to rivet the plates together instead of welding, but we'll see.
So far I've roughed out the snout plate, and I'll start on the crown tomorrow.
IMG_0561.JPG IMG_0562.JPG IMG_0563.JPG
 

Blaxmyth

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
are you ball peen in it against a leather bag?
Not a leather bag, but I have a doming block (bit rough) and a 'U' carved out of some 3/4 inch plank. I found some 3/4 inch conveyor belt mat used as a floor mat, and that is fantastic because it deforms and is indestructible. I hope to make a leather shot bag at some stage. I'm finding the ball peen a bit too pointed and am casting around for some panel beater's hammer.
 

Blaxmyth

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
You've been "bitten by the bug" haven't you.:lol
Yup. Done got bit.

Second attempt at the crown. First I tried a single piece - no luck, but at least the steel can be recycled... This one will be a two piece crown, mig welded along the central ridge. Slowly taking shape and I'm really pleased with the rubber pad on an anvil platen - it is allowing the steel to remain smooth, although the 4 pound club hammer face is about at the limit of the dish I can get in the steel. Need to find a hammer with a smaller radius crown.

IMG_0565.JPG
IMG_0566.JPG
IMG_0567.JPG
IMG_0568.JPG
 

Blaxmyth

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Welded the front 4 inches of the crown ridge. Next is to stress relieve the front portion in the forge, and then work further back along the ridge, alternating welding and stress relieving.
IMG_0570.JPG IMG_0571.JPG
 
  • Like
Reactions: JPH

Blaxmyth

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Got the sides added. Had to use the big hammer... Snout held in place ready for welding, then adding rivets for that genuine orc-made look.

IMG_0572.JPG IMG_0573.JPG IMG_0574.JPG
 

Blaxmyth

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So close now. Just got the rivets. weathering and adding some sort of liner. Glued some downloaded eyes onto card with some 1" cabochons over the top for the photos. :D
IMG_0577.JPG IMG_0579.JPG IMG_0575.JPG
 
Top