Urdnot Wrex: FINISHED. Photos on Pg 3

Re: Urdnot Wrex sculpt. FIRST PULL on PG 2

I'd say your safe for now seeing as though your still in the sculpting phase. I'm in the same boat with my Pale man, gonna have to make the jump to costuming at some point. Is the armor to be sculpted or fabricated?

Though I'm not familiar with the character id say your doing a bang up job! Looks great!

Lovelovelove your Pale Man, btw. Have always wanted to do a Fauno but kept delaying on him because I didn't think I could do him justice. Also, those crazy backwards Faun legs.

I'm afraid that by opening a new thread to cover just the armor section of this build, that the build as a whole would be diluted... so I think I'm going to keep it all in the same thread. Since the sculpting part of the costume is going to take more than half of the manpower of the costume... I guess it stays here? This is becoming trickier as more techniques are being introduced.

About the plans for the rest of Wrex's build:

Only the face/feet are going to be sculpted/molded/and then cast into foam. I've had such a problem with alien feet in the past, and the FlexFoam worked so well for me for the head, that I couldn't resist taking the sculpting route for the feet.

The rest of the build will be completed in a combination of EVA and Wonderflex, like I did for my Meredith Stannard build. I'll be using a camping backpack to support his "back" armor. Am also seriously also considering having part of it open so I can carry around... beverages... of some kind.

This whole build is made complicated by the fact that I am smaller than a krogan. I'm 5'8", and I'm already faking up Wrex's height by looking out of his mouth. End goal is to look like a tank and at least 6'4". To fake his crazy, beefy arms and legs, I'm going to wrap 16 gauge wire around a cylinder to create a giant slinky, then sew that into a pair of fake fabric legs and arms, that will attach to my torso with a pair of snaps.

I SWEAR this will make sense once you see it pull together. It's mostly in plans in my head at the moment.

Very cool!!! I totally missed this post. I started hearing Wrex's voice when I saw the pics, so you're on the right track! :)

Giant foot is still giant, and now looks more foot-ish. I'll have this sculpt finished probably tonight and then I get to try out the new silicone I have waiting for me #soexcited.

600176_222322531222456_73669195_n.jpg

Yay Krogan feet! I threw this in silicone tonight. Ran a little bit short on Rebound 25 so I hope it's going to be thick enough to get at least two good pulls.

A few angles:

7476224442_cc76a9d3e2_c.jpg

7476225092_47b3ab34b6_c.jpg

7476224842_c04c45cf22_c.jpg

7476224614_6b6a7734c7_c.jpg

And one of it all gooey!

7476224266_83d357f722_c.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Urdnot Wrex sculpt. Foot sculpt complete, on PG 2

This is probably one of my favorite threas...love Bioware and Mass Effect. It is inspiring me to start on a Garrus sculpt..any tips fir a newbie?

This is probably one of my favorite threas...love Bioware and Mass Effect. It is inspiring me to start on a Garrus sculpt..any tips fir a newbie?

Measure 10x! You want to be able to wear it so make sure it's large enough. Sculpt on an armature or a headcast of yourself to make absolutely sure :)

First pull is out of the mold with minimal flashing. I stuck a rain boot in it and poured the foam around it (1 part glove mold, sliced up the back; 3 part mothermold).

I am unfortunately out of foam now so I can't stomp around in them immediately. But a krogan charge is definitely in the works.

First pull next to the original sculpt, which survived the molding process almost with no issues. The foam did not completely expand to the round piece at the top; I will go back and pour a tiny bit more foam so that detail is captured.

7504489726_ee734296a8_c.jpg

Some more angles:
7504489456_e4525b899f_b.jpg

7504489264_fd8d6c90df_b.jpg

The rain boot is a little off kilter, which was not intentional. I'm okay with how it turned out though:
7504489032_6b3a9a174f_b.jpg

Re: Urdnot Wrex sculpt. First pull of foot on Pg 2

such great work! truly hope you are considering making copies to sell once you are done!

such great work! truly hope you are considering making copies to sell once you are done!

I miiiiight but it will be after Dragoncon! (I mean, I HAVE the molds now.) This next few months will be craaazy trying to get everything in order

So, armor is almost done. I just need to seal and paint. Front piece/thigh pieces are already painted and sealed. Most of this post is about the armor itself.

I had to make a lot of concessions in this build (legs that aren't digigrade, for one) but most of them were made about the size of the giant armor on the back. It's HUGE even with these concessions.

Here's what it's supposed to look like:

me3-urdnot-wrex-armor.jpg

My build, from the framework up:

7578942868_1b7c1090e1_c.jpg

7578943116_2fd8b46f98_c.jpg

7578943420_3584e931d2_c.jpg

And with the rest of the foam on, and then WAY too much wonderflex for accents:
7578937768_68e2c82f00_c.jpg

7578936296_dc00fa751a_c.jpg

7578935660_264a5e9fa4_c.jpg

So it's a bit smaller. However I can still barely walk through doorways, so I really don't think it's reasonable to go bigger, not for me at any rate!

I also threw a first layer of paint on Wrex himself. I just put on the main accents; I have many many layers yet to go (mostly pulling back a little on the brown in some places; adding even more on the spikes).

7578939728_7a03dc2ac4_c.jpg

Also, it is really hard taking a picture of yourself while in this suit!
7578942600_390eed89cb_c.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Urdnot Wrex sculpt. Armor on page 3!

I see that your a fellow New Yorker and I'm guessing you get your stuff at the Compleat Sculptor on Vandam street that's where I go for all my sculpting and molding needs :thumbsup. That is some pretty cool work your doing.

Amazing work on the best character in that trilogy! I can't imagine walking around in the costume... though I feel I'd be in the best shape ever afterwards. heh

Can't wait to see it all finished. Good luck on the rest of your build!

I see that your a fellow New Yorker and I'm guessing you get your stuff at the Compleat Sculptor on Vandam street that's where I go for all my sculpting and molding needs :thumbsup. That is some pretty cool work your doing.

I spend an alarmingly large amount of money there, yes! It's really nice having a local smooth-on distributor.

Amazing work on the best character in that trilogy! I can't imagine walking around in the costume... though I feel I'd be in the best shape ever afterwards. heh

Can't wait to see it all finished. Good luck on the rest of your build!

Thank you! It's actually pretty light, if ridiculously bulky. If I hadn't scaled it down I would not be able to fit through doors, I think; right now it's pretty close for comfort. The frame itself is the heaviest part; the rest of the armor is made out of EVA and Wonderflex; just the base is the acrylic plastic/fiberglass to add some strength attaching the armor to the backpack frame.

This build is really awesome! The paint on Wrex is really bringing it to life.

the base is the acrylic plastic/fiberglass to add some strength attaching the armor to the backpack frame.

Lol, I'd know that frame anywhere. You sacrificed a military Rucksack for your Wrex build...gives it some real world military authenticity, right on ;0)

This will probably be my last update on this thread until after Dragoncon. It's nearly done (well, not nearly; TONS of little details and weathering to go). But the bones are there.

Now off to make another shoe:

7600167182_1c5fa8f8ed_c.jpg

7600167034_e236a61c1d_c.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back