Urdnot Wrex: FINISHED. Photos on Pg 3

Discussion in 'Sculpture and Makeup Effects' started by booksandcorsets, Apr 25, 2012.

1. booksandcorsets

booksandcorsets Well-Known Member

Hi all! I had intended to start this sculpt as soon as I returned from PAX so great timing for the contest. I always work best on a schedule!

I'm working in Chavant NSP Medium, and once the sculpt is done I'll be casting in Rebound and then into a foam latex mold for a mask. This is Wrex from Mass Effect 3.

I'm pretty new to sculpting; my previous attempts are all threads here (the Judoon, and Thane).

Lots of progress pics to come over the weekend!

I started (in order to save clay) with a big chunk of pink foam, glued together with liquid nails, and then carved to rough shape. Then I piled clay on top:
    [​IMG]

Here's the very early start:
    [​IMG]

And where the big boy is at now:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  2. booksandcorsets

Re: BooksandCorsets's Sculpture Contest Entry: Urdnot Wrex

I've added roughly 12 pounds of clay... and the terrible part? I can barely see where it went.

Finished Wrex's spikey, spikey headplate and the back of his head today. Also added a much longer, more pronounced throat. I think I'll be able to wrap him up in time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. booksandcorsets

And I'm gonna call it done at this point. He could still use a few more wrinkles and battle damage, and I may go back and fiddle a bit before I cast, but I'm really happy with how he looks.

My big boy:
    [​IMG]

He's HUGE:
    [​IMG]

A few more angles:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

5. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow. All the entries I've seen so far are great, but this one is definitely my favorite.

6. booksandcorsets

Thank you! He's adorable in my eyes... krogan bro for life. #downwiththegenophage

7. booksandcorsets

I thought I would drop the reference photos I was using into this thread, as this is not an original design. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I start the armor I'll cross-reference this post (it'll be his set from ME3, thank GOD they went back to red!)

8. booksandcorsets

Started the mold for Wrex this weekend! Thought it would be a quickish process (haaaa), and also horribly underestimated how much silicone this would use. Went through almost half of this gallon of Rebound 25.

What does everyone else use for mixing silicone? My hand cramped up SO many times during this which made it even slower.

Print coat:
    [​IMG]

Final coat:
    [​IMG]

It will be a one-piece glove mold (the back is pretty open, so it should be easy out) and a two-part mothermold. I'll be working on the mothermold this week/weekend.

9. booksandcorsets

Wrex mostly survived the casting!

[​IMG]

But more importantly I have a mold and the silicone looks really good. Details were picked up nicely all around.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That ruler is 24", Wrex is about 22" high.

Here's some detail shots taken on inside of the glove mold:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The only place where the silicone is a bit thin is on the VERY inside of his mouth, which will be cut open/jury rigged so I can see through it anyway. I'm as always delighted with how the Rebound 25 picked up detail.

10. Tarchinoko

Tarchinoko Well-Known Member

Re: Urdnot Wrex sculpt UPDATE: mold finished

looking great! very nice sculpting, would love to have enough time to sculpt a krogan of my own :p

11. Dericrw

Dericrw Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome work! Glad to see your sharing the molding process, I'm attempting the same process.

12. violentevo

violentevo Member

may i ask why you used a silicone mold instead of a resin one? or are you casting with a hard medium?

13. booksandcorsets

Do you mean silicone instead of plaster?

Wrex has some pretty severe undercuts that would have made a plaster mold very difficult to use and I felt a silicone glovemold would be the best way to go. I'm going to be casting in FlexFoamIt! (either 5 or 10).

14. violentevo

violentevo Member

I figured the cast would be in silicone or latex, so i was thinking to myself "why in silicone instead of a fiberglass mold?" But if you are doing it in any kind of self skinning foam, silicone is the way to go. Nice job by the way

15. GrandScroll

GrandScroll New Member

I love Wrex! He's definately one of my favorites from Mass Effect. Great job!

16. violentevo

violentevo Member

I honestly preferred grunt to Wrex, but then again, neither compare to tali

17. booksandcorsets

But I already made Tali. And ALWAYS preferred Wrex :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. violentevo

violentevo Member

Did you get the legs and feet to work?

19. booksandcorsets

I do not understand the question. They were my legs and feet so presumably they worked :)

20. violentevo

violentevo Member

Tali has a very unique leg and foot structure, i was asking if you got it to work, or just didn't bother, since you would have to make some unique stilts

[​IMG]

21. booksandcorsets

I don't want to hijack my own thread with Tali talk. But yes, the costume was complete. I created boots by adapting an existing pair of boots with a black heel and building toes of fiberglass on the front. I was never completely happy with them.

If you're truly interested in the foot structure, then you should talk to Jennifer (http://idleambition.com/), who made some amazing heels for her Tali by combining two boots into one. They did not look comfortable.

[​IMG]

22. LoveofCountry

LoveofCountry Member

That is SOO wicked :0). Very inspiring too, trying to bully a friend of mine into being Grunt.

23. violentevo

violentevo Member

Didn't mean to hijack, just curious. I have no aspirations to do any cross dressing cosplay, i'm just * about details is all. well, there is always rocky horror :p

24. Thewomanwarhead

Thewomanwarhead Active Member

Wow! It looks so great! The detail is top notch.

25. booksandcorsets

Thanks for the comments guys :) I'm picking up Flex Foam-It X on Friday and will have a cast of this boy to geek over this weekend.

I've always in the past done painting as a post-casting event, but this time I want to try pigmenting the foam. Does anyone have a lot of experience with the So-Strong pigment that they'd like to share? I'm wondering how much I will need, and if the sample-pack is the direction to go. Wrex is mostly yellowish-brown.

26. violentevo

violentevo Member

you would just need a color or mix you own to the color of freshly cut wood, that yellowish tan color. With foam the only thing you can do is tint the entire batch. after there you are just painting like normal, make sure to ask if they know of any solvents that distort or eat at the foam, because a lot of specialized paints may have bad consiquences for foam. Like polyfoam and naptha are not good friends at all.

27. Witchking

Witchking Member

Good to see someone doing this character. Great job on the design and piece.

28. NAZGÛL

NAZGÛL Sr Member

Great! Wrex is def one of the coolest characters in the games imo. Id say you really nailed him! Looking forward to see this finished!

My Shepard was never nice to Tali, I guess he thought she was whining all the time... ;)

29. booksandcorsets

First pull is out of the mold, and barring some (minor) bubbles and one or two places where the tint didn't exactly match perfectly, I am SO VERY HAPPY. Still have to do touch ups and paint him up but he's looking great!

Since I'm going to be looking out of his mouth... I'm going to be like, 6'3" or 6'4". Seriously.

[​IMG]

Closeups of the first pull! This was done in FlexFoam It X, and this was my first time working with that material and tints in general, so very very pleased.

[​IMG]

This side had the worst imperfections. One red foam piece that went too far down (measuring expanding foam is ROUGH) and some bubbles.

[​IMG]

Look, I can make his mouth close!

[​IMG]

Wrinkle detail was picked up very nicely!

[​IMG]

30. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Re: Urdnot Wrex sculpt. FIRST PULL on PG 2

That's tremendous! Showed this to my wife, mad Bioware fangirl and she loved it.

31. Aierliana

Aierliana New Member

Wow you do amazing work! I just started working on a Wrex sculpt for a friend's cosplay, I hope mine turns out as well :). The details are really dead on!

32. booksandcorsets

Good luck! Wrex is a very ambitious project :)

33. uubergeek

uubergeek New Member

this is looking wonderful! loving this sculpt. Have you thought any about animatronics for it?

34. booksandcorsets

I have and dismissed it as a possibility. There's room in the mask for them if I change my mind, but I'm more interested in making it comfortable to wear.

35. Yodajammies

Yodajammies Sr Member

Very impressed with how well the flexfoam came out on this project. Great work!

36. booksandcorsets

Thanks! I was REALLY worried after our conversation but since I had already bought the gallon, went ahead and gave it a try.

37. booksandcorsets

This is not the easiest or cheapest way to make a krogan foot, but here goes.

Foam base!
    [​IMG]

Beginning of clay sculpt.
    [​IMG]

Plan to cast in silicone and then use the Flex foam (around a rainboot, probably) to fill in the mold. Yay for giant shoes!

38. aeonpulse

aeonpulse Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hah, I thought those were bricks at first! :wacko

39. booksandcorsets

There is something very cannibalistic about pulling chunks of Wrex's head off to make this foot.

So at what point does this sculpt thread stop being a sculpt thread and become a costuming thread (and is thus miscategorized)? Should I make a new thread for the armor or continue updating this one here?

40. InExtremis

InExtremis New Member

I'd say your safe for now seeing as though your still in the sculpting phase. I'm in the same boat with my Pale man, gonna have to make the jump to costuming at some point. Is the armor to be sculpted or fabricated?

Though I'm not familiar with the character id say your doing a bang up job! Looks great!

41. booksandcorsets

Lovelovelove your Pale Man, btw. Have always wanted to do a Fauno but kept delaying on him because I didn't think I could do him justice. Also, those crazy backwards Faun legs.

I'm afraid that by opening a new thread to cover just the armor section of this build, that the build as a whole would be diluted... so I think I'm going to keep it all in the same thread. Since the sculpting part of the costume is going to take more than half of the manpower of the costume... I guess it stays here? This is becoming trickier as more techniques are being introduced.

About the plans for the rest of Wrex's build:

Only the face/feet are going to be sculpted/molded/and then cast into foam. I've had such a problem with alien feet in the past, and the FlexFoam worked so well for me for the head, that I couldn't resist taking the sculpting route for the feet.

The rest of the build will be completed in a combination of EVA and Wonderflex, like I did for my Meredith Stannard build. I'll be using a camping backpack to support his "back" armor. Am also seriously also considering having part of it open so I can carry around... beverages... of some kind.

This whole build is made complicated by the fact that I am smaller than a krogan. I'm 5'8", and I'm already faking up Wrex's height by looking out of his mouth. End goal is to look like a tank and at least 6'4". To fake his crazy, beefy arms and legs, I'm going to wrap 16 gauge wire around a cylinder to create a giant slinky, then sew that into a pair of fake fabric legs and arms, that will attach to my torso with a pair of snaps.

I SWEAR this will make sense once you see it pull together. It's mostly in plans in my head at the moment.

42. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Very cool!!! I totally missed this post. I started hearing Wrex's voice when I saw the pics, so you're on the right track! :)

43. booksandcorsets

Giant foot is still giant, and now looks more foot-ish. I'll have this sculpt finished probably tonight and then I get to try out the new silicone I have waiting for me #soexcited.

[​IMG]

44. semajarab

semajarab Member

Having worn this head personally, it's freaking AMAZING!!!

45. booksandcorsets

Yay Krogan feet! I threw this in silicone tonight. Ran a little bit short on Rebound 25 so I hope it's going to be thick enough to get at least two good pulls.

A few angles:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And one of it all gooey!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  46. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Krogans have cankles.

Sent from my Apple Newton

47. itsaplane

itsaplane Member

Re: Urdnot Wrex sculpt. Foot sculpt complete, on PG 2

This is probably one of my favorite threas...love Bioware and Mass Effect. It is inspiring me to start on a Garrus sculpt..any tips fir a newbie?

48. booksandcorsets

Measure 10x! You want to be able to wear it so make sure it's large enough. Sculpt on an armature or a headcast of yourself to make absolutely sure :)

49. booksandcorsets

First pull is out of the mold with minimal flashing. I stuck a rain boot in it and poured the foam around it (1 part glove mold, sliced up the back; 3 part mothermold).

I am unfortunately out of foam now so I can't stomp around in them immediately. But a krogan charge is definitely in the works.

First pull next to the original sculpt, which survived the molding process almost with no issues. The foam did not completely expand to the round piece at the top; I will go back and pour a tiny bit more foam so that detail is captured.

[​IMG]

Some more angles:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The rain boot is a little off kilter, which was not intentional. I'm okay with how it turned out though:
    [​IMG]

50. uubergeek

uubergeek New Member

Re: Urdnot Wrex sculpt. First pull of foot on Pg 2

such great work! truly hope you are considering making copies to sell once you are done!