Upgraded the gauntlets on my UD Replicas TDK suit

SuperheroDIY

So -- I've really wanted to upgrade the gauntlets on my UD Replicas TDK suit ever since I got it -- and finally did!

Even though the original gauntlets were really good for some leather gauntlets, I always felt they were the weak spot in the whole suit. I of course did always like that they were convention/kid friendly and easy to put on / take off, though. But the fins especially are showing their age so it's time to replace them anyway.

So a couple of weeks ago I found that this eBay seller was offering some, so I picked them up! That guy sent them QUICK which is always nice, but I cracked them open and was in awe. I immediately modified them to cut them short enough to fit my arm well and glued the zipper on. That actually turned out to be the hard part because the glue didn't want to stick to the rubber! But it finally did, and I was able to don them.

Here's the gauntlet itself:
IMG_8046-1024x683.jpg

IMG_8049-1024x648.jpg

While they immediately looked great, I noticed that:

• the elbow guard piece was kind of floppy
  • they kept falling down off of my arm over my wrist

So it looked like the elbow-guard piece was floppy because the urethane was too thin between the elbow piece and the rest of the gauntlet. To reinforce it, I simply glued the little strip of urethane that I cut off for sizing -- I glued it back on right under the elbow "flap" to make it nice and rigid!

To fix the falling-down issue, I decided I could easily add some velcro to the inside of the gauntlet in just the same way the velcro was on the originals. Worked great.

The biggest problem here is just that they are hard to get on if you've already put the jacket on, so you have to put them on the arms BEFORE you put on the jacket, and just leave them halfway unzipped. If you zip them off all the way you can't re-zip them with just the one hand.

I'm really impressed with these gauntlets -- so impressed even, I made a video. Check it out if you're interested:

Attachments

• IMG_6471-1024x683.jpg
    IMG_6471-1024x683.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 193
Last edited by a moderator:
The elbow is actually supposed to be floppy, and stick to your actual elbow full time, that way they bend when you bend your arm. Otherwise, nice upgrade !

The elbow is actually supposed to be floppy, and stick to your actual elbow full time, that way they bend when you bend your arm. Otherwise, nice upgrade !

Whoa --- that is some insight right there! I didn't think of that!! I'll have to remove my reinforcement then! Thank you!!

It is not REALLY supposed to be "floppy". These gauntlets have a very thin strip to that elbow piece that should be thicker.

def not supposed to be floppy, it should hug the elbow, like this
DarkKnightRises+Batman+suit.jpg

if i remembered correctly the screen used suit has a snap button at the elbow.

Great video man! I think that the gauntlet upgrade looks so good!! I did the same thing with my UD suit! Did you do anything in particular to make the cape slit mod? Or just basically make slits?

Great video man! I think that the gauntlet upgrade looks so good!! I did the same thing with my UD suit! Did you do anything in particular to make the cape slit mod? Or just basically make slits?

Oh awesome! Yeah man I'm so glad there is an option to upgrade this part of the suit.

I really just cut a hole, then on the inside of the suit I sewed in rare earth magnets. Same on the ends of the cape, so it definitely doesn't come out unless I want it to.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back