UPDATE* BOUGHT IT -So I've been offered an old movie theatre built in the late 30s

Re: So I've been offered an old movie theatre built in the late 30s

For anyone still interested I received a phone call today from the owner asking me if I still wanted to buy the place. Seems the previous party planned on buying the theatre and the building across the street to convert them into a Church and (the theatre) would be it's parking lot (because if there's one thing Texas does not have enough of it's Churches). THEN the found out about the strip club down the street and for some reason lost interest real quick. I had no idea there was a strip club, but this new information had the exact opposite effect on me as it did them. I won't be able to to go by there for a week because I'm booked up with meetings in LA - but when I fly back the Texas next weekend (if the owner is in town) I'll click off the pics while my inspector guys do their work.

Nice one. You know, sometimes you have to almost lose the chance of buying something to make you realise just how much you want it.

Tell your kid not to worry about any ghost man. I grew up in a haunted house. I would see stuff move and shadowy figures walking around and hear stuff all the time but you get used to it. They kinda became part of the family hahahaha.

That's great news, hope it works out this time!

Any chance the strip club is also haunted? That could be cool.

For anyone still interested I received a phone call today from the owner asking me if I still wanted to buy the place. Seems the previous party planned on buying the theatre and the building across the street to convert them into a Church and (the theatre) would be it's parking lot (because if there's one thing Texas does not have enough of it's Churches). THEN the found out about the strip club down the street and for some reason lost interest real quick. I had no idea there was a strip club, but this new information had the exact opposite effect on me as it did them. I won't be able to to go by there for a week because I'm booked up with meetings in LA - but when I fly back the Texas next weekend (if the owner is in town) I'll click off the pics while my inspector guys do their work.

Of the strip club...?

Yeah Pics or it did'nt happen!!!! :D

Cool story! Here's hoping it all goes through for you. Looking forward to seeing pics!

This thread is like a little rollercoaster! Jet, I'm very envious, but pleased to see it will likely work out. I've always fantasized about having an old theater; I grew up in Bakersfield, CA, and saw many movies at the Fox Theatre (which AFAIK is still going strong) and the Nile, two classic old Art Deco places.

Best of luck! Looking forward to pix.

Good luck. The old girl we have is 6 full time jobs. I ran almost 4000 people through here Saturday alone. It can be done...
If you have questions feel free to ask.
Laffo.

Good luck. The old girl we have is 6 full time jobs. I ran almost 4000 people through here Saturday alone. It can be done...
If you have questions feel free to ask.
Laffo.

So where´s your movie theatre picture thread? ;)

Jupiter 2

I do wonder if you occasionally call JB, in the middle of the night, or sneak up on him in a crowded area, whispering "Jupiter 2" into his ear.

What about renting billboards around where he lives, with a large pic of the J2 as a reminder? I´d throw in a few bucks to see that happen. ;)

We could also organize a flash mob of people dressed as Robby, screaming "Jupiter 2" to surprise him.

Good luck man, this sounds like my dream home >_>

My main question throughout all this though, roughly how much do you have to drop, to pick up a movie theater? Thats some serious bank, especially if you won't have the ROI from showings. Though I definately see where you're coming from on the no-price/irregular shows.

Really hoping this works out for you.

We have a similar thing in Franklin... a theatre has been closed for a while and luckily enough money was raised that a group was able to buy the theatre and it opens back up this weekend:

Franklin Theatre Grand Reopening

They are throwing a 1930s street party and airing Casablanca and Gone With The Wind in the streets. The old Pharmacy is closed as well but they are using it as a speak easy just for the street party (and probably to drum up selling that building). I honestly have been wanting to buy that old pharmacy to open it as a vintage soda fountain/ice cream/deli but they want several million for it :(

They want people to come dressed in 30s period clothing or Movie costumes. We're doing Raiders Indiana Jones and Marion Ravenwood

Hope you can do some kind of cool event similar for when you open yours!! Saving historical buildings is awesome. Wish I had money to help with stuff like that other than just donating here and their to foundations.

Believe me Wolfie - if this lands I plan on doing the exact same type of thing, only I may go with a more Girls Gone Wild With the Wind, or something along those lines.

Thanks Everyone for the words of support and well wishes.

I do wonder if you occasionally call JB, in the middle of the night, or sneak up on him in a crowded area, whispering "Jupiter 2" into his ear.

What about renting billboards around where he lives, with a large pic of the J2 as a reminder? I´d throw in a few bucks to see that happen. ;)

We could also organize a flash mob of people dressed as Robby, screaming "Jupiter 2" to surprise him.

Mean! Just plain Mean! Like Burt used to be to Dom in all of those movies together.

I do love the way you start out almost criticizing but by the end of of your message you too decide to join in on the fun of torturing me.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back