ULTRON for Pepakura ** 04/11 paper unfold added!**

Re: ULTRON for Pepakura ** 5/9 FOAM HELMET TEMPLATE ADDED **

Wow you totally did justice to the forearms, really straightforward and clean.

I must say that there looks beautiful better than mine that's for sure! Great job gonna have to redo mine like that

I need to re-do one of the foamcore sections on the left forearm tonight, I can take more photos of my process if you'd like. The gist of it is that, I used the raised section templates and cut those out first. Then I placed them on to a larger piece of foamcore, and used the lower section templates to determine the spacing and the side wall templates to get them to line up. I use a simple glue stick to temporarily bind down the lower details, it makes it easy to peel them up. Once the raised details are properly placed and aligned, I removed the lower section. Then I cut out about 1/4" wider around the sides (so the foam would overlap and have something to glue down on to) and trimmed where necessary.

It takes a little bit of time but the results are pretty perfect.

Also I'm not sure what glue method you use. I prefer using superglue over hot glue, I find that it is much easier to work with and leaves much less cleanup to do. An EVA foam to EVA foam bond, or a foamcore board to foamcore board bond, those take a couple of seconds at most to fully setup. But gluing from EVA to foamcore takes much longer, maybe 60 seconds, to fully bind.

Wow you totally did justice to the forearms, really straightforward and clean.

Thanks! As mentioned above, getting the raised sections fabricated takes a lot longer to get right than you'd think, but I'm really happy with the results.

I used hot glue for mine since that's what I used to make my Gears of War armour. Never thought to us super glue thinking that It would have eaten at the foam in some weird chemical way but I may have to use that. I actually stopped working on my ultron suit since I seem to have lost my motivation to get my butt into a gym and get fit for this suit. I'm a husky guy and I feel like the suit would look weird on me lol. So I've been thinking of doing a Udon Taskmaster costume for my self "which I can't find a pep file for the mask" and an X-force Deadpool for my son. But damn does your build make me want to keep on Ultron. I had gotten most of the shin pieces drawn out on foam and part cut out I may have to get to the gym and lose some weight to do this like I want to lol

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

"which I can't find a pep file for the mask"

Hey Xela, off-topic but I think I've got a Taskmaster mask pep I extracted a while ago. I'm technically on vacation right now, but I'll check to see if I can find it later this evening. Otherwise, I'll be back home on Sunday and can definitely find it then.

I wish I could get better with super glue, I love hot glue for the most part, but those stupid 'stringers' that come off the tip stick to everything and drive me nuts.

I used hot glue for mine since that's what I used to make my Gears of War armour. Never thought to us super glue thinking that It would have eaten at the foam in some weird chemical way but I may have to use that. I actually stopped working on my ultron suit since I seem to have lost my motivation to get my butt into a gym and get fit for this suit. I'm a husky guy and I feel like the suit would look weird on me lol. So I've been thinking of doing a Udon Taskmaster costume for my self "which I can't find a pep file for the mask" and an X-force Deadpool for my son. But damn does your build make me want to keep on Ultron. I had gotten most of the shin pieces drawn out on foam and part cut out I may have to get to the gym and lose some weight to do this like I want to lol

You should get in to shape because it's what you want and to be more healthy. Being able to fit into a wider range of cosplays is just a side bonus!

Hobby Lobby sells a line of cyanoacrylates (super glues) with different viscosities and curing times. I am using their mid range one that is liquid but not runny and has a cure time of ~15 seconds. It doesn't have any sort of negative reaction to EVA and it bonds incredibly well. Though it does give off some heinous fumes, be sure you're in a well ventilated area!

I wish I could get better with super glue, I love hot glue for the most part, but those stupid 'stringers' that come off the tip stick to everything and drive me nuts.

My problem with hot glue is how it seeped out from the bonded area and made this huge mess that needed to be cleaned up. That and how long it took to cool and bind two pieces together.

EDIT
I've also found that using super cheap, disposable brushes to spread out the glue over a surface for a more even coating helps binding as well. This works better on things like acrylic since the foam tends to soak up and/or cure more quickly, but on smaller joints it helps to not have superglue seeping and running everywhere.

Last edited:

Yeah I will probably try some ZAP it's the super glue I use at work everyday and it works great with an acceleratant to do bond parts fast. And yeah I'm going to start working out cause I really want to at least look the part for Taskmaster. I'll keep on Ultron I got so many ideas for it with lights and paint. What's color are you doing yours? Chrome, gold or something else?

I am going to do a basic silver with a red bead eye and dotted mouth lights, in the EMH style. I wanted to do gold for Age of Ultron, but I'm actually not going to be wearing this myself. It's for a friend of mine, he's tall and lanky and should look suitably intimidating in it. For myself I'm doing a female EMH style Ant-Man.

One day, I would like to do Ultron in paper pep (or more likely a CNC) and mold and cast it, and then pay a trillion dollars to get it silver or gold chromed.

msleeper, can you post a picture of the super glue you use please? I dont live in U.S.A so in order to try il have to buy it online, Thanks

msleeper, can you post a picture of the super glue you use please? I dont live in U.S.A so in order to try il have to buy it online, Thanks

I can when I get home. I bought it through a local hobby shop, HobbyTown USA, and it's a generic brand of cyanoacrylate from them. You might want to look for any local hobby shops. Specialty hardware stores might carry it as well.

Finally got around to fixing the left forearm. Here's a more detailed process on how I did the raised details in foamcore. It's a little tedious of a process but I like the results.

First thing, I glued down the paper template to the foamcore using a glue stick. You don't want this to be a permanent bond, so don't slather it on. You'll be cutting out the raised detail from foamcore, and cutting out the spacers just out of the cardstock.

It might be easier to cut out the spacers before gluing, but if you do that then make sure you number everything and mark the direction they all need to face.

Once you have the spacers and raised pieces cut out, you want to arrange them on the foamcore that you'll glue them to. Here I aligned them against the table so you can see them more clearly.

I used this previously cut out part as a jig to make sure everything is lined up straight, and to estimate how much space I'll need to cut. I glue down the raised detail with superglue and slide off the spacers as everything is put down.

Once the raised details are all glued down, I cut about 1/2" extra space on the sides, 2" on the bottom, and let my previous cuts dictate the extra space at the top.

Once I have everything fit, I cut off the extra space at the bottom so there is a nice fit. At this point I peel off the cardstock template from the raise detail foamcore. Then it's just a matter of gluing the foamcore board piece to the EVA foam.

Rinse and repeat for the other side, and you have nice flat hard edges where they need to be, and flexible foam for the rest.

Frickin spectacular. Seeing that even helps me for modeling peps better, so building is hopefully not as much of a pain in the ass.
Don't you love how I also had to make sure that EVERY SINGLE ONE of those little bastards is unique and has no symmetry? Probably could have made that easier. :facepalm

If I had to make a single request, having the raised details not be connected to the lower portion would be best. That way I would have a single template for the lower piece, and could place the upper pieces accordingly. This is especially the case on the chest (which you'll notice, these details are missing from) and thighs. The arms are easy because it's totally flat. Having to manually space them out was the most tedious part.

I can't complain about them not being symmetrical. It honestly helps aligning the foam portion since there are obvious corners where the squares meet foam.

I wondered about that. And actually that's pretty easy to do, kinda like the abs. I just drew out the ab details on the base, extruded duplicates of those details and made them separate. Just sounds a heck of a lot cleaner too :)

I like both of those ideas. I'm working on a model right now that is specifically designed to be built out of a couple of thicknesses of foam. I think I can engineer the models so that (outside of crazy scale deviations) they are easily buildable in foam with all of the details and a lot less freehand tweaking. That'd rule, models engineered for HD foam building with paper as the afterthought for once :lol

Like I said a few pages back, one day I would like to throw away buckets of money chroming an Ultron. I'm sure that when Avengers 2 gets closer, there will be lots of interest in an Age of Ultron film model... ;3

They tell me I have legs for days.

Just need to knock out the thighs and a few other odds and ends and this mofo is ready to plastidip and paint.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back