ULTRON for Pepakura ** 04/11 paper unfold added!**

Re: ULTRON for Pepakura ** 5/9 FOAM HELMET TEMPLATE ADDED **

Well the antenna didn't print out very well, I don't think this machine likes tall, thin objects. I'm going to try laying it on it's side and adding supports to it and seeing how that goes.

EDIT
laellee , you don't happen to have (or know someone who has) 3D printable hand files, do you? Iron Man ones are fine, I can always modify those after printing to look more the part.

Last edited by a moderator:

Much better. This is hot off of the printer so I still need to clean off the raft and support material. But everything came out perfect and the antenna fit into each other and the bolts really snug.

Well this is so far what I have done of the right forearm and bicep (still more pieces to glue on). I still have to do some modifications to the bicep piece to allow my arm to move more freely. Especially around the armpit area and when I have my arm straight down the piece binds in the pit area. Also the forearm piece I'll have to do the same at my elbow so I can bend my arm more. Over all the pieces fit nicely, only concern may be the shoulder pieces but I'll see when I get there. I'm using 5mm foamies foam for most of this build and some Eva foam for more heavy duty areas of the suit. I'm going to attempt to coat the pieces with pva and then coat them with smooth cast to give it a resign shell. Tomorrow going to try and do my left arm pieces. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368427382162.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368427382162.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 345
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368427402358.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368427402358.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 324
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368427419353.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368427419353.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 281
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368427435077.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368427435077.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 321
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368427460951.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368427460951.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 375

What a great looking suit, can't wait to see the whole thing done.

Well this is so far what I have done of the right forearm and bicep (still more pieces to glue on). I still have to do some modifications to the bicep piece to allow my arm to move more freely. Especially around the armpit area and when I have my arm straight down the piece binds in the pit area. Also the forearm piece I'll have to do the same at my elbow so I can bend my arm more. Over all the pieces fit nicely, only concern may be the shoulder pieces but I'll see when I get there. I'm using 5mm foamies foam for most of this build and some Eva foam for more heavy duty areas of the suit. I'm going to attempt to coat the pieces with pva and then coat them with smooth cast to give it a resign shell. Tomorrow going to try and do my left arm pieces. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures.

Nice! I'm glad to see someone else building this. =) Thanks for the info about the arms, I'll take that into account when I build mine.

Out of curiosity, how tall are you and what scale are you using for the parts?

I am around 5'8" and I'm using a 222.5 scale for my parts. So far so good. First time I've been able to get my scale right for a build when I attempted a halo suit last year it was a pain in the butt to get it right. Eventually it went from being a halo build to a Gears of War 3 Dom build which I wore to Megacon this year.

Sorry for disappearing for a few days, real life had to knock me around a bit (as it always needs to).
My scaling on this suit (proportionately) is much more realistic than an Iron Man. Hopefully it's not a super pain on you guys, but it is built around a more realistic body form to scale to, making it more realistic to fit. Wow, I should stop saying realistic.
Point being, I made this monkey based off of a 5'9 180lb guy (still follow the scale conversions), whereas I am 6'4" and 165 on the rainiest of days. He could look thinner, tougher, svelte (if you will), but I didn't make the scale to look nice next to Iron Man. I made it for anybody. Especially dads who want to make it for their 7 year olds. Anyways, I'm more than happy to help anyone when it comes to model adjustments for pep changes, just ask. A lot of people put a lot of time into this stuff for the money they think they'll make; it just means a lot to me when I see people wanting to try and build what I've created. Thanks, hopefully you will be happy with what I can offer. :)

I am enjoying putting together this suit. Just a few months ago I was thinking "man it would be awesome to build an Ultron costume" and then I find this thread. The design is what made me start on this project compared to an iron man suit instead even though I really want to make one. It's a good looking suit. I just finished the second arm last night at 3 in the morning so far they both fit very well. I just gotta cut a lil off the foam in certain area son that I bend my arm a bit better. As soon as I'm done with this suit. I am going to either make an Antman suit for my son or a Sam Alexander Nova suit. I am leaning towards Nova just gotta find the pep file for the helmet. We were Dom and Marcus from Gears of War for megacon this year. Any how I'm leaving the abdomen and the chest the last things for me to make only because I'm 5'8" but I'm also 240 lbs. Which I have to severely lose weight at least 50 to make my goal for this suit. I'm making this costume my motivation to keep at a diet. I start but never stick with it. So hopefully by Megacon next year I aim to be wearing this lol. I'll post pics of both arms when I get a chance. Moving on now to the shins and neck brace.

Forgot to say great job on designing this!

Hey, thanks for giving it a shot Xela. PM me if there's anything I can do to help/need to change/ etc....

two questions;
1: im 6'1 155 lb do you know how much i would have to scale this up to fit me, apparently my trial and error method isnt making my bank account very happy?
2: will the foam templates work if i wanna use sintra instead?

two questions;
1: im 6'1 155 lb do you know how much i would have to scale this up to fit me, apparently my trial and error method isnt making my bank account very happy?
2: will the foam templates work if i wanna use sintra instead?

Well from my math and the way i did it to get my scaling, which so far is working for me, you should be at a 255.5 scale for your height. I'd say you should build the forearm piece first and test the scale to see if it fits. I did that for my scale and the piece fits nice and snug. You may still need to adjust your pieces after so that you have proper movement for your body but only very minor ones.

Now for your second question i don't know what sintra is, so I'm not sure which templates you should use. I'm using foam and its coming out to be a smooth build so far with that.

sintra is also called forex or expanded pvc, im not sure of all of the names for it but those are the ones ive seen the most around this forum

sintra is also called forex or expanded pvc, im not sure of all of the names for it but those are the ones ive seen the most around this forum

Oh Ok. Interesting material. I was thinking of using worbla on costume but bright now it's a lil pricey for me.

Submit or perish.

Here's the mostly finished chest. I need to fill in some of the holes and 3D print some details (the spine and the lower front chest holes, which I am going to build as fan mounts).

Just finished this. I'm probably going to have to re-do it because it might be too small for my friend who will be wearing this costume. If so then it's not too big of a loss, only a few hours.

I also wrote a simple, randomized LED fading Arduino sketch for the mouth LEDs. This is just a simple test, but for anyone who wants it, enjoy:

Code:
int leds[] = {
  3, 5, 6, 9, 10, 11};
int brightness[] = {
  255, 255, 255, 255, 255, 255};

void setup()
{
  randomSeed(analogRead(0));

int i;
  for (i = 0; i < 6; i = i + 1)
  {
    pinMode(leds[i], OUTPUT);
    brightness[i] = random(17, 255);
    analogWrite(leds[i], brightness[i]);
  }
}

void loop()
{
  int i;
  for (i = 0; i < 6; i = i + 1)
  {
    brightness[i] = brightness[i] - random(1,5);

if ( random(0,1000) <= 10 )
    {
      brightness[i] = 255;
    }
    else if ( brightness[i] <= 16 )
    {
      brightness[i] = 255;
    }

analogWrite(leds[i], brightness[i]);
  }

delay(10);
}

Last edited by a moderator:

Wow that's awesome msleeper. I'm assuming you'll have to scale it down to fit inside the mouth of the helmet? Have you thought about how you might do that?

Wow that's awesome msleeper. I'm assuming you'll have to scale it down to fit inside the mouth of the helmet? Have you thought about how you might do that?

Are you referring to my breadboard? Yeah that is just a test, that is not nearly what the final result would be. Just a quick proof of concept. The end result will be running off of an Arduino Nano with more permanent wiring than breadboard jumpers. If you've ever seen Daft Punk helmet LED matrices, you can imagine my end result similar (though less complex) to that. I am planning on getting a sheet of refractive diamond pattern fluorescent light cover, you know the kind they have in offices and schools, and seeing about heating it up slowly and bending it to fit the shape of the mouth. The red LEDs will be behind that so the glowing mouth lights look a little more interesting than just normal pulsing LEDs.

Not to mention the other electronics - eye LEDs, microphone/speakers/voice modulator, chin fan - the helmet really does need to just be a bit bigger.

Last edited:

:eek HOLY PROGRESS!?!?!?!?! :eek M, you're making me feel better about the 3 different projects I'm bogged down in right now.....
Nice coding, I also REALLY LIKE the size of the eyes on the helmet, that looks more 'Ultrony) than my renders were coming out. (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

You thought I abandoned working on it, didn't you? ;)

I agree, the eyes in the 3D model seem smaller than how it comes out in real life. I also made them a little more square like in EMH, rather than giving it explicitly angry eyes. I also found that making the flat hard surfaces - the chin and ears - from foamcore made it retain it's shape really well.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back