Ultimate Tricorder Thread

Mr. Nagata

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Sort of like the thread about phasers that's been going for some time now. Let's see if we can catalogue all the tricorders from Star Trek, both screen-used and replica.

I'm not sure about all the variations and replicas out there (and I must admit, my TOS knowledge is a bit lacking), but here's a preliminary list of all the screen-used tricorder versions I can think of:

TOS tricorder
TMP tricorfer
WOK tricoder
Trek III-VI tricorder

TNG 1st Season Mark VI Science
TNG 1st Season Mark VI Medical
TNG 2nd/3rd Season Mark VI Medical (there was a different medical peripheral that appeared in later on--the one rodd.com sells)
TNG 3rd/4th Season Mark VI Science (the Ed Miarecki version)
TNG 3rd/4th Season Mark VI Medical (I'm not sure if this tric ever existed, but there were earlier versions that had the same graphic as the Mark VI's)
TNG Mark VII Science
TNG Mark VII Medical

FC Mark X Medical
Voyager Mark X Science
DS9 Mark IX Science (I get confused which was a Mark IX, somebody please correct me)
DS9 Weird tricorder variant (don't know what this is called, but it's that one with the big screen)
Nemesis Mark X
Nemesis tricorder (the flat one with the big screen)

Here's a few to get the party started.

TOS
mt-mccoytricdoors.jpg

TOS Geological Tricorder
TWSgeotric2.jpg

TMP
tmp_pub_spock.jpg

WOK
ST2-Saaviktric-strap.jpg

Trek 3
stIIIrealtric1.jpg

Trek 5
st5-mccoyspockprops.jpg

Type VI
tng-contagion-tric1.jpg

TNG-contagion-tric2.jpg

TNG-tricmk6-data-BoobyTrap.jpg

med_tric_NN.jpg

4seas-IDCrisis-medbedtricCU.jpg

Type VII
TheGame-5thseason-Mk7.jpg

tng5_Ethics_georditric.jpg

tng5_Ethics_georditricclose.jpg

TNG-TheChase-medtricmk7.jpg

Type X
VOY-EGAME-MarkX.jpg

Nemesis
nem-triccu2.jpg

I knew Phasepistol would have some nice pics.

Here are a couple of mine:
6.jpg

that rodd.com's version.

2.jpg

is a mystery vintage version.

and one more:
8.jpg

Man, i have such a hard time getting behind those movie tricorders. Just never liked any of them, until the next gen movies hit. Dunno what the deal is. I don't think I'll ever collect them, despite the completist bug in me.

Ah yes... the Next Gen movies, which brought us the wonderful "Mister Tricorder"

STGEN-mrtricorder.jpg

... and the above noted "Nemesis" PADD looking thing. :unsure

- k

A few more for you tricorder junkies...

The "Uplink" seen in the "Let He Who Is Without Sin" episode of DS9 (this is basically a Mark X but with a little module on top and a swingarm "antenna")

DS9-LHWIWS-MKXUPLINK-01.jpg

DS9-LHWIWS-MKXUPLINK-03.jpg

DS9-LHWIWS-MKXUPLINK-05.jpg

DS9-LHWIWS-MKXUPLINK-06.jpg

DS9-LHWIWS-MKXUPLINK-07.jpg

...the "Endgame" tricorder seen in the final episode of Voyager:

VOY-Endgame-tricwantenna.jpg

VOY-EGAME-tricwithtransport.jpg

What is the deal on the "Endgame" BTW... is the antenna missing on the second shot? Or just folded down?

And is it the same piece as on the DS9 prop? It looks smaller....

- k

IIRC, there was a science and a medical version of the endgame. The med one had the swivel up arm. So, the second pic could either be the med version with the arm down, or the science version.

There was also a tricorder seen in one episode of DS9 that had a working TV screen in it. Kind of a mix between a mark VII and something else. The ep was where dax was dorking about with the klingons or something.

More tricorder anomalies:

Here's that transitional Mark VI science tricorder seen in Year 4 of TNG... it has a smaller detachable scanner.

wes_tric.jpg

Wes2.jpg

In Voyager "Eye of the Needle" we see old TNG Mk VIIs painted a maroon color and attached to wall panels in Sickbay

Eye-of-the-Needle_113.jpg

VOY-EOTN-sickbaytric01.jpg

In TNG "The Enemy" we get a quick glimpse of a tricorder being internally modified... the lower panel in the scanner-cutout on the back is being replaced in these shots.

TNG-TheEnemy-TricmodVisor.jpg

Here's that oddball DS9 tricorder with the big screen... this is not my screencap BTW. What episode is this from?

DAXtricorder%20ds9tric.jpg

Now this is a bizarre one... supposedly a "prototype" TNG tricorder, sold in a Profiles auction a few years ago

2208_0153a.jpg

2208_0153b.jpg

And here's a shot of the Mk VI and VII, from the book Art of Star Trek, I believe it is. Note the upside down decal on the VI.

typevi-typevii-tricorder-front.jpg

I've seen some veiled references to a "23rd Century Recorder" kit, which looked consistent to the "23rd Century Pistol" phaser kit. I've never been able to find concrete information on it. Anybody else heard of or seen one of these?

I have one of those kits. Nice actually. No strap came in my kit, but other than that, its a pretty darn close copy of the Rodd.com version. Not sure of the timeline, of which came first, I think the 23Cs came first.

The Voy 29th century tricorder I have is a modified Oregon Scientific clock... I think mine is the correct model, not entirely sure (there are other clocks that are close, which you can still buy).

kt-29thCtric_vs_clock.jpg

kt-29thCtric_lites.jpg

kt-29thCtric_scanLEDs.jpg

screengrabs

VOY_Rel-SevenTricBack.jpg

VOY_Rel-TricCU.jpg

- k

Iee. What happened to the bottom of that poor tricorder? Is that a switch? Why is the paint so distressed? And what's with the black bar underneith the second graphics?

Jay

its just a part where he needs to paint i would love to have a working one of those one day :( i can get the clock but have no heads or tails for the circuits and putting it together, i would love to buy one complete

Originally posted by Jedi Lawja@Mar 3 2006, 06:11 AM
Iee.  What happened to the bottom of that poor tricorder?  Is that a switch?  Why is the paint so distressed?  And what's with the black bar underneith the second graphics? 

Jay
[snapback]1197841[/snapback]​

Yeah the builder wasn't too precise on that one... :rolleyes

It could be fixed up I guess, I'd have to strip it, plug the hole, repaint and redecal... haven't gotten around to it.

- k

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back