UK Law - buying a replica/screen used gun

yep...mad.

You can't buy a replica gun that looks like a real gun, but you can buy a real gun that looks like a real gun if its de-activated.Must be to do with all those old MPs who collect de-activated guns!
Thats bloody crazy!

Crazy but true. What's worse is we can't even defend ourselves in our own home. We have to let our attackers bludgeon us to death first before we can even retaliate with a wet tea towel. Even then we'd be on a serious 'assault with intent to cause grevious bodily harm' charge - and the home invader would win in court.

Crazy but true. What's worse is we can't even defend ourselves in our own home. We have to let our attackers bludgeon us to death first before we can even retaliate with a wet tea towel. Even then we'd be on a serious 'assault with intent to cause grevious bodily harm' charge - and the home invader would win in court.

The above statement is not quite accurate.

The self defence provisions of the Criminal Justice and Immigration Act 2008 are intended to make clear to the public, prosecutors and the police that those who use reasonable force to protect themselves or others should not be prosecuted.

If they use no more force than absolutely necessary, people should have confidence that the law will support them, so long as:

· they acted instinctively

· they feared for their safety (or that of others) and acted based on their perception of the threat faced and the scale of that threat

· they acted to effect a lawful arrest or to prevent the escape of a person lawfully detained, and

· the level of force used was not excessive or disproportionate in the circumstances as they viewed them

See also this article about a recent home invasion:

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Columnists :: The right to defend your home and family

It doesn't just extend to defending your (or others') life. Defence of property can be justified, too:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rights-victims-protecting-homes-burglars.html

The only key phrase to consider is "reasonable force", which we can all perceive differently.

Hey Guys im trying to Purchase an M1 Garand Springfield Rifle, cant find any in the UK, all pretty realistic looking and only place i can find them.eithet being, Deactivated, Replica (wood and metal) or Resin cast Pieces it seems nobody will ship to the UK, due to UK posting laws now is there anyway i could get this piece Shipped in without Hassle after reading previous post im pressuming the only way is to make it a super bright crazy colour before shipping think this would work, say getting the seller to spray the whole rifle barrel orange or bright green??

Thoughts please people

Well sadly do what they dont want me to do and either strip the paint or repaint whatever seems easier.

I just cannot find a Single seller in the UK been looking for MONTHS!!! And can only find international which wont post because itll most likely be returned.

Its to go as Part of a Costume ive got together, and the Rifle is the Final Piece of the Puzzle literally the only things i need, Costume has been Ready since March Last Year but i wont wear it without the Rifle, its too incomplete.

But i have already purchased a Rifle Bag so i can Carry it round no problems its not on show so I can transport to the Convention Floor then home no issues, a Resin cast model would me find if i had to settle for it as some cons dont alloe wood or metal props on the floor but would rather have closer to the real thing.. none the less cannot find Either of the 2 Available in the UK.

http://www.medieval-shop.co.uk/rifl...tates-1932.html?search_query=garand&results=3

I spoke to these guys a few weeks ago about buying a Denix Mare's Leg, and they were quite happy to ship it to me, despite falling outside the VCRA cutoff for antique weapons. The lady I spoke didn't seem to know the UK even has replica firearms restrictions.

Now, I've no clue if this would get through customs, but I think they would ship it to you if you were prepared to take the risk.

3 deacs here:http://www.milweb.net/classifieds.php?search_term=garand&type=&x=6&y=3

And another: https://www.chelmsfordmilitaria.com/index.php?ix=136&iw=6&iz=0&e_cat=1&s_e_cat=&pv=1158

You're not looking hard enough :lol

Edit: A few mods and a decent paintjob? https://bbguns4less.co.uk/products/Dboys-BY101A-WWII-Replica-Shell-Ejecting-Sniper-Rifle.html

Last edited:
http://www.medieval-shop.co.uk/rifl...tates-1932.html?search_query=garand&results=3

I spoke to these guys a few weeks ago about buying a Denix Mare's Leg, and they were quite happy to ship it to me, despite falling outside the VCRA cutoff for antique weapons. The lady I spoke didn't seem to know the UK even has replica firearms restrictions.

Now, I've no clue if this would get through customs, but I think they would ship it to you if you were prepared to take the risk.

3 deacs here:http://www.milweb.net/classifieds.php?search_term=garand&type=&x=6&y=3

And another: https://www.chelmsfordmilitaria.com/index.php?ix=136&iw=6&iz=0&e_cat=1&s_e_cat=&pv=1158

You're not looking hard enough :lol

Edit: A few mods and a decent paintjob? https://bbguns4less.co.uk/products/Dboys-BY101A-WWII-Replica-Shell-Ejecting-Sniper-Rifle.html

Tbh having acrually been looking for a Deac because There minimum £500 and atm only have about £250 to hand for the weapon,

Also the BB 1 could work as a cheaper model but really want the qood finish the metal i can let off but need the woodstock.

I have recently found someone selling Denix replicas which are quite cheap but unleas i work in a museum, gallery, work in theatre or film, drive military vehicles, am a crown servant or member of a reenactment group which ivnot had any luck finding in manchester yet then they wont send it but i have to have signed document from my superior from any of the above to prove im elligble a d donr fancy forging the letter HAHA

So you can buy realistic looking firing weapons in the UK (airsoft) but you can't buy a resin replica blaster??:confused

You UK peeps are lucky if you can buy airsoft...the gun laws here in OZ are very strict...no airsoft, no real guns. You can buy real weapons, but you have to join a gun club, take a course, have the correct storage etc....

So you can buy realistic looking firing weapons in the UK (airsoft) but you can't buy a resin replica blaster??:confused

You UK peeps are lucky if you can buy airsoft...the gun laws here in OZ are very strict...no airsoft, no real guns. You can buy real weapons, but you have to join a gun club, take a course, have the correct storage etc....

The laws here are weird and randomly enforced :wacko

Theoretically you can't import or buy what they cal a RIF (realistic imitation firearm). That means if it is based on any realworld gun made post 1870, you can only buy it if a certain percentage is painted a bright colour, hence the two-tone and transparent airsoft guns that are all over UK airsoft shops. If you play airsoft regularly, you get an exception code which allows you to buy any airsoft.

Theoretically, if it isn't based on a real-world weapon it's okay. But what about Solo Blasters, Pulse Rifles, and any other props that incorporate real guns? Grey area, dependent on the customs guy who opens your package. These guys are not going on comprehensive courses that allow them to recognise any real-world firearms, so the only truly safe method is the paint-it-green thing.

Generally speaking, you are fairly safe sending anything internally, since Royal Mail would only x-ray something if it was suspect. Try and export, it's a different story. I sold a RIF to a US member a few years ago, at the UK international terminal, it just disappeared off the tracking. No explanation. I had to wait a month for it to be declared lost, then fill in a form.

Several weeks later I was informed by RM that it had been put on a boat, since it was not allowed on a plane. Around 2 months later it finally arrived with the buyer, in a battered and broken condition.

As a result of this and a few other horror stories on here, I am now extremely reluctant to sell any weapon props outside of the UK unless they are in parts.

The VCRA gives the final middle finger to us by allowing ANY real gun to be sold to anyone so long as it is deactivated. So, theoretically, I can buy a real Desert Eagle, but be prosecuted for a buying or selling a resin Mauser or Mal Pistol.

The other exception for RIFs is theatrical use, museum use or re-enactors.

Zellcendo, it may be worth contacting the company in the first link I posted to the Denix and ask them if they would paint the metal parts Orange, or whatever for an extra fee, or if they could dissemble it and send the parts.

I would suggested playing a few games of airsoft and joining UKARA so you could legitimately buy the ICS M1, but at that price you might as well hold out for a deac.

The laws here are weird and randomly enforced :wacko

Theoretically you can't import or buy what they cal a RIF (realistic imitation firearm). That means if it is based on any realworld gun made post 1870, you can only buy it if a certain percentage is painted a bright colour, hence the two-tone and transparent airsoft guns that are all over UK airsoft shops. If you play airsoft regularly, you get an exception code which allows you to buy any airsoft.

Theoretically, if it isn't based on a real-world weapon it's okay. But what about Solo Blasters, Pulse Rifles, and any other props that incorporate real guns? Grey area, dependent on the customs guy who opens your package. These guys are not going on comprehensive courses that allow them to recognise any real-world firearms, so the only truly safe method is the paint-it-green thing.

Generally speaking, you are fairly safe sending anything internally, since Royal Mail would only x-ray something if it was suspect. Try and export, it's a different story. I sold a RIF to a US member a few years ago, at the UK international terminal, it just disappeared off the tracking. No explanation. I had to wait a month for it to be declared lost, then fill in a form.

Several weeks later I was informed by RM that it had been put on a boat, since it was not allowed on a plane. Around 2 months later it finally arrived with the buyer, in a battered and broken condition.

As a result of this and a few other horror stories on here, I am now extremely reluctant to sell any weapon props outside of the UK unless they are in parts.

The VCRA gives the final middle finger to us by allowing ANY real gun to be sold to anyone so long as it is deactivated. So, theoretically, I can buy a real Desert Eagle, but be prosecuted for a buying or selling a resin Mauser or Mal Pistol.

The other exception for RIFs is theatrical use, museum use or re-enactors.

Zellcendo, it may be worth contacting the company in the first link I posted to the Denix and ask them if they would paint the metal parts Orange, or whatever for an extra fee, or if they could dissemble it and send the parts.

I would suggested playing a few games of airsoft and joining UKARA so you could legitimately buy the ICS M1, but at that price you might as well hold out for a deac.

Lots of great info ill check that out thanks see what they say but being part of an airsoft group might be a good thing theres a few guns i want to complete costumes, but there not a necessity but my costume with the.M1 does really need it thus my fuss hah, thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty expensive, but they apparent use 'red tape' to get around VCRA: http://www.relics.org.uk/productinfo.php?product=257

Sweet ill have a chat with a few places on my days off really appreciate all the help and advise Guys ;) woop

So you lovely folks might be abe to help me here.

I've somehow managed to find somebody selling a Seburo M-5 resin piece in the US. Of course being a huge Masamune Shirow fan I just absolutely must have this piece. It's a solid piece of resin in white. What do you reckon are the chances of it getting in to my sweaty fangirl hands without it being destroyed or me getting a butt kicking?

I've rang my local Firearms authority. Rang some fella who apparently handles the importation of real weapons and parts in to the country as well as HMRC who to be honest are about as much use as a chocolate teapot. I haven't been able to get a straight answer from any of them. Of course any "firearms expert" will be able to tell you that Seburo aren't a real company and that the piece I'm after has no moving parts.

Funny thing is, I'm licensed up to the eyeballs for shotguns and high bore rifles. Haha!

I just sold my original Poseidon M5 a couple of months ago, they are cast in grey resin, so you are looking at a recast. The notorious Coolmodels sell a recast M5 in white out of the US, their quality is terrible, just so you know....

Whether it would get through customs, pot luck, tbh. The M5 looks pretty close to a real gun, so it would probably be classed as a RIF.

I have had a few replica firearms shipped to the UK from the states in the past but they arrived in parts ( it was the only way to ship them). The fully assembled ones never arrived, ( I'm assuming the x-ray machine showed their outline), but in pieces, and sent on different days, they did arrive. These were all resin parts BTW, not metal.

you think the UK is bad? try the Netherlands. even some of the available all over the world nerf guns got banned cause they look to simular to real guns. plastic toy guns that are formed after a real gun is illegal. after all, you could paint it and it would look like a real gun.

i made a steampunk raygun to go with a costume i have and it almost got me arrested and the "weapon" taken from me. took few hours of explaining at the station to them cops what it was. missed a nice steampunk event cause of that :(

replica weapons are illegal here, airsoft only on permits wich are very simular to actual firearm laws. de-activated real pistols/revolvers need to be grinded flat on one side and welded to a metal plate! deactivated rifles need to be welded solid so it has no more moving parts at all.

It's so funny that with all these crazy restrictive gun laws the bad guys who want to bring a real gun to a certain country/region can do it without too much trouble. All these laws affect honest collectors, dedicated reenactors and airsoft fans instead. And I have a feeling it will get worse... :(

well, there is one law toping this in total over here.

antique weapons are free to have. so any weapon before 1903 from top of head is free, so any muzzle loading gun or revolver is good. but replica's of them arent :facepalm

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back