"Turrets" Syndrome? No, not a misspelling.

TazMan2000

Master Member
As some may have seen, I have made a SS Death Star Turbolaser, still working on a 1/9 scale Phalanx CIWS.
I bought the Takom AK-130 and the Kashtan.
AK-130.jpg
Kashtan.jpg

I have a problem starting stuff and not finishing it. Probably ADHD.

So I have started designing a 3D printable DS turret base, so I can use some of the spare parts accumulated over the years. I will probably have to design some 3D parts that I have no kits for. Most of the greeblies are simple enough...but there are a lot. Some of the kits are still available at a fair price.

Capture01.JPG
Capture02.JPG

TazMan2000

Working on the turret greeblies. I downloaded the nurnies from the Dave Goldberg TESTED model, but it didn't find them the correct size and either there were some import problems, or the parts did not covert correctly, but they just didn't work or weren't high definition. (Were they scanned?) So I just designed my own...but even these aren't perfect even though I worked from a micrometer.

Turret Greeblies1.JPG
Turret Greeblies2.JPG
Turret Greeblies3.JPG
Turret Greeblies4.JPG
Turret Greeblies5.JPG
Turret Greeblies6.JPG

This is one of the Goldberg greeblies imported into TinkerCad. Did this work for anybody else? Maybe just a TinkerCad import issue. Generally useless for me as my resin printer will recreate the bad artifacts.

Goldberg Greeblie.JPG

TazMan2000

A little improvement on the printability of some of the pieces. Currently working on the top greeblies. The guns and their details are going to be a lot of work. I'll probably segment the guns, so that it could be printed easily on a resin printer without or minimal supports.

As you see, I'm making this 3D model with shields so you can't see anything inside, which I think would take away from the "displayability" of the model if you can see the insides.

I had to take a few liberties with the accuracy of the greeblies and their placement to aid in "buildability". I corrected the gun rotational axis based on the original. It is offset by about an inch or above the center axis. This should be a lot closer to the filming model.

When I originally build my kit from Wasilli, I didn't do my research and incorrectly mounted the guns.

Turret1.JPG

Turret2.JPG

TazMan2000

Last edited:
I'm working on the guns now. The piping details may look a bit dirty, but the tiny errors will not be visible after being printed on a resin printer. I'm thinking they may even look better than the original Mig-21 Engines since these ones will not have sinkholes.

The print sections are segmented for ease and quickness of print when printed vertically. They will slide over a 8mm brass rod. I still have about a 1/3 of the gun to go. I will elect not to model the details on the very lowest section of the gun, since it will never be visible anyway.

Turret Barrel 1.JPG
Turret Barrel 2.JPG
Turret Barrel 3.JPG

TazMan2000

Thanks Analyzer and joberg . This was a hell of a lot more work than I thought. There are a LOT of greeblies and I'm not the best 3d designer. When I build my physical kit, I didn't receive a full set of greeblies, so I have been trying to research the missing parts. Unfortunately a lot of the picture links are gone in the old threads. Even external information has become sparse. So its not going to be 100% accurate, that's for sure. But with my mods of the gun elevation shield, the accuracy ship has already sailed. Still, I hope to make it a pretty good representation.

TazMan2000

I'm mostly done the towers both small and tall. I'm thinking of adding an extra piece to the bottom of the tall tower with about a 45 degree taper. As it is, the tower side is 657mm tall by 382mm wide, which means that this won't fit on any FDM printer I'm aware of. Even on mine, with a 12" bed, I'll have to break each side into 5 pieces. The top will accommodate a 3" swivel plate (lazy susan bearing).

Short and Tall Tower.JPG

TazMan2000

I reworked the turret and now there is room to have it motorized. It will also be a lot easier and faster to print.

View from the back.
Turret2.jpg

TazMan2000

This took 10.5 hours to print with ironing enabled and with a 0.5mm nozzle, but it turned out pretty good. I was afraid that the ironing would obscure the panels.

IMG_2679.jpg

TazMan2000

I do not have an FDM printer, but out of curiosity what is "ironing" supposed to do?

The printer goes back and forth over the top layer with the hot nozzle (without extruding any filament ***edit***a small amount) effectively ironing out the top layer of filament. It doesn't smooth it out completely, but it saves a lot of sanding work, since the top layer isn't as bumpy as it would be without ironing.

If there is fine detail or inset lettering on top, ironing could obscure it, so there is a danger there.

TazMan2000

Last edited:
thanks. I have my eye on an FDM printer and tips like this will eventually help

If you intend on printing out large items, or think you may in the future, get the biggest one you can afford. It will save to lots of gluing and filling. I have a 12" square bed on mine, and because of the items I like to design and print, I wish I had spent the extra money on one that had a 15" square bed.

TazMan2000

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back