Tunnel Rat Costume (Based on GI Joe figure from 1987)

Chuey

Sr Member
Some tweaks need to be done for Dragon-con, but I have my Tunnel Rat outfit in time for the show. A huge thanks goes to my friend and fellow RPF board member, Bret (id1113), in helping me put this together. The look is based off the 1987 figure with some minor adjustments. While Tunnel Rat is a mix of different ethnicities, it helps that I am Chinese. Fellow board members, please give me your input.

Yoejoe.com listing for the 1987 Tunnel Rat figure

3855189102_f3fa089ac9.jpg

3854400541_d2cbf3035b.jpg
3854400133_f451c4a00d.jpg
3854400913_f8ee823d0a.jpg

ID1113 just completed his Gen. Hawk for the recent 2009 San Diego Comic-con.

3753712919_4d66fb0aef.jpg

He and I will be taking pictures with other GI Joe costumers at the Marriott on the Sunday of the convention at 12 PM.

Pictures from last year's shoot

2823563541_9cf4939251.jpg
2824413072_e789238a7c.jpg
2824414182_a05a5ffd36.jpg

Last edited:
His TNT bag looks like my 2Qt. canteen bag.
Costume came out great though I would go darker on the makeup. If you can't find a bag let me know and you can borrow mine.

Tim
(209)373-7393

Looks great, can't say that I've ever seen a Tunnel Rat costume before, but then again, I never thought I'd see a Recondo or Law but there they are! Your buddies Hawk is great too, as are Flint and Lady Jaye.

suit look great , but i never understood why they gave tunnel rat a huge sniper rifle . hell he could barely fit in the tunnel . lol ..

Nice work. I think you need the "TNT" bag also...its just too cool.

What I want to know now is if anyone is going to be dressed as the "Fridge" Perry action figure? I've never seen that one done either.

Nice work. I think you need the "TNT" bag also...its just too cool.

What I want to know now is if anyone is going to be dressed as the "Fridge" Perry action figure? I've never seen that one done either.
While it will not say TNT (I don't want alarm anyone), I am getting a bag. One of the last things that I am waiting for.

Map Case Shoulder Bag

Nice to see the crappy movie has at least brought out a renewed interest in the old school Joe...

Any plans to replace those black jeans with black fatigues? I think it would make for a much more effective look.

Nice to see the crappy movie has at least brought out a renewed interest in the old school Joe...

Any plans to replace those black jeans with black fatigues? I think it would make for a much more effective look.

I'd say the 25th anniversary line of figures jump started that more than the movie did.

Looks good!
Has anyone done Quick Kick?

I did Quick Kick one Halloween when I was in like 5th grade. I had some loose black pants, black Chinese slippers, a folded-in-thirds red towel for the sash, with cardboard throwing stars taped on, and a Japanese bandanna that was white with the rising sun in the center. Looked great for a little kid's costume. I couldn't bring to sword and nunchucks to school, and I wore a different costume trick 'r treating, so I didn't have any weapons on me.

Great costume. :thumbsup Looking forward to 'JOE' with you at Dragon Con. This will be my 9th year Snake-Eyes costuming at Dragon Con. I'm glad to see more 1980s JOEs costumers about. I've seen one other Tunnel Rat a few different years at Dragon Con, but haven't seen him since like 2003-2004 so likely you'll be the only one there this year.

For the first couple years I was going to Dragon Con, I was the only Snake-Eyes there, then after that more and more of them keep popping up each year. Now with the new movie, guaranteed there will be even more. Soon Snake-Eyes costumers will become the new Stormtrooper at cons. :lol

Doing good man, how you doing? Tis tread is definately bringing back some memories, I may have to break out Recondo sometime soon lol :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back