TrooperTrent Holiday Special Lightsaber Series

I'm right there with ya buddy. But don't worry, I'll make sure you're taken care of. If it doesn't show up in the next few days I'll send you a replacement. I had to order more materials so it'll be a couple of days before I can make you a new one anyway.
Well, it looks like they may have found it (finally).
Late last night, I started getting notifications (I use the text updates so I can have my wife collect the packages before neighborhood kids do) every twenty minutes that seemed to indicate that it was stuck in a circular loop..
Leaving Hazelwood, Arriving Hazelwood... Rinse, lather, repeat.
However...
About twenty minutes ago, it updated and said that it hit my local post office so we have some hope that they might have FINALLY got this right.
(This Hazelwood hub has been a nightmare for me for a while now. They've had about three packages get stuck in circular loops and routed four packages to completely incorrect towns... and they're TWENTY MINUTES AWAY!!!)
Whenever I've called the main hotlines for the USPS to complain about the issues, they have my local postmaster call me back.
What's SHE gonna do about a hub in St.Louis?
She tells me that they used to have a direct line BUT they disconnected it :O why on earth?!
Anyway, sorry for the rant (I haven't had much sleep... stupid pinging sound every twenty minutes last night!!) and I appreciate the stellar service.
My issue has NEVER been with you.
Just these idiots at the USPS :p
I'll try to post some photos later, when I get home.

How is USPS still even in busine.... oh yeah, government :rolleyes:
It's sad to say, but they're still better than FedEx (for me). I've watched, while sitting ON my porch, FedEx tracking go from "Out for delivery" to "No one home to receive package". Then when I call FedEx, to ask "What the hell?!?", I've been told "the driver can't find your house". With USPS God knows when it'll get here (a few months back I had the postal dude drop a package off at 11:45PM!!), but at least it got here.
I would almost rather someone who's shipping me something, go out to the street, flag down a passing car, give WHOEVER stops my address & the package, & ask - whoever it is - to bring it to my address, other than use FedEx.

Yeah, so, when talking to my local postmaster (again, what's she gonna do about a hub twenty odd miles away?) she explained something about them having recently closed most of the sortation hubs across the US and now only a few have to handle the sortation for the entire country, instead of the way it was before with several, more localized hubs.
She said that 1st class postage literally means nothing now and that basically everything else takes priority in sortation BUT that she's never seen it take this long to sort something (and that's when I filed the lost package thing the other day)
Anyway, sorry, I know that I've derailed this enough.. I promise that my next post will be 100% on-topic.

Yeah, so, when talking to my local postmaster (again, what's she gonna do about a hub twenty odd miles away?) she explained something about them having recently closed most of the sortation hubs across the US and now only a few have to handle the sortation for the entire country, instead of the way it was before with several, more localized hubs.
She said that 1st class postage literally means nothing now and that basically everything else takes priority in sortation BUT that she's never seen it take this long to sort something (and that's when I filed the lost package thing the other day)
Anyway, sorry, I know that I've derailed this enough.. I promise that my next post will be 100% on-topic.

That’s interesting on the sorting

So, my wife just sent me this picture of something that I got in the mail...
I’ll be starting in earnest when I get home.
Thanks to TrooperTrent and, again, apologies for my little off-topic rant.

Attachments

• 06FE996F-C1CE-44F7-B8CF-57E0E9D5435A.jpeg
    06FE996F-C1CE-44F7-B8CF-57E0E9D5435A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 162
no worries man. They say 2-5 days... yours took 9 business days. That's almost double what it's supposed to so yeah I get it. I've been having more and more problems the past few months, where as a year ago they were actually fairly reliable. I've had 3 of my training remotes get delayed, "lost", or returned for no reason. in the past month and a half.

940EF474-D244-4C2B-92C3-C256B5352051.jpeg266370D8-0CED-474C-AEA0-C426D273CA2A.jpeg76E5519F-D8EB-4825-9D08-335F24C7E84F.jpeg0C4A535E-F565-4D77-B842-72F7D4A38935.jpegF26CC88F-B633-4C02-85E5-33CE15882DC3.jpeg
So I got everything put together and I’m digging the way it’s turned out. As kind of a joke, I’ve hung it with real weapons to see if anyone comments on it or questions it (instead of keeping it in the drawer with my other lightsabers)

On some parts of it, I had kind of cheated.
When I first got the graflite, I cleaned it up and, well, I didn't have gaffer tape but I had this iron-on duck cloth patch material cut to size.
I applied it and used heat to activate it's adhesive.
Once I felt that was secure, I applied my grips (from wannawanga). I had actually ordered the wrong quantity (my mistake) but since I had ordered three sets of grips I had enough leftover material to make the seventh grip and kind of hid it on the side.
I cut and ground down the original endcap, leaving a slight lip. I have nothing against the beautiful 3D printed piece that you've made but I wanted to retain as much of the original as possible.
I bent the tung and put it in place.
I originally didn't think that my wife would go along with me ordering a kit, so I played with scaling from photos and figured out how large I needed to make the black rectangle area and how large I needed to cut my templates for the shroud (my first couple of attempts were too large but thankfully, paper).
Once I buttoned that down, I cut the shroud from leftover pieces of chromed sink-tube and applied them.
The day that I ordered the kit, I actually scaled out and made a temporary control box but it was just held on by a low-tack tape.
Basically, all I had left was cleaning up the control box, painting it, applying the vinyl decals to it and securing it to the saber.
Then applying the red LED and black arrows.
To secure the box, I both used a screw and e6000.
For the LED, I sanded a slight rounded shape to match the curve of the saber and used the e6000.
Cleaning up the control box and waiting for the paint to cure took the longest (yesterday).

I think I finally solved the mystery of the tongue.

After taking a long break, I took another look at the reference photos. And, plain as day, I saw the locking nub in this photo (circled in red).

So, I say the fat end of the tongue was tapered, and the thin end (with the nub) is the one stuck into the plastic bulb holder. I just finished installing mine, although the tapering may need a little more work.

55E3098A-4B62-4244-B58F-A60875EE3244.jpeg

That's what I did with mine (tapered the fat end), but I didn't do anything more than jam the skinny end into that hole, just in case I needed to change something later.

0421191856b.jpg

I’m still a little uncertain. The best photo of the shape of the end of the tongue sticking out of the bulb holder makes it look wider and more triangular (not at thin as the end with the nub, but fatter than the fat end of the actual tongue I’ve compared to the photos), but this could easily be a trick of the light/lens/blurriness of the original photo. Lots of reflecting light in that shot, which could be making it look thicker than it is. That’s what she said.
4D75037A-4664-4C18-9B59-AE0D05B36392.jpeg

I’m still a little uncertain. The best photo of the shape of the end of the tongue sticking out of the bulb holder makes it look wider and more triangular (not at thin as the end with the nub, but fatter than the fat end of the actual tongue I’ve compared to the photos), but this could easily be a trick of the light/lens/blurriness of the original photo. Lots of reflecting light in that shot, which could be making it look thicker than it is. That’s what she said.View attachment 1051955

I think that’s glare from the lighting

i have had a few requests for my switch file. apparently you can't upload STL files to the thread so i made a thingiverse account. i can figure out how to upload a picture of it, but its there to download now

also updated page one with a link to the file

First one to collect your switch! So many new revelations in one day. I think Gregatron is really on to something with his analysis of the tongue configuration. I hope I don’t end up building a second saber to keep up with all of this.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back