Trooper_trent's R2-D2 build

Trooper_trent

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I know there has been a few of these popping up lately, but I'm kind of excited to share this. This has always been my holy grail project and I'm finally getting to do it!
I'm keeping everything organized in my blog here.
Trent's R2-D2 Build

And here's where he is today.
478ed746.jpg

63a52b2f.jpg

I'm expecting the dome to be delivered in a couple of hours.

Last edited:
Re: Trooper_trent's R2 build

Looking great so far,I look forward to seeing him with his dome on.
I wish I had the time and money to build an R2 (and an understanding wife)

I hope so. If not done, I bet it'll at least be in a presentable state by that time.

By the way this will be a big father-son project that I'll be working on with my 5 year old. Artoo is his favorite as well and he's just as excited as I am.
UPS just delivered my 300mm aluminum dome.
5d30180d.jpg

He's no longer headless!
1e9d6179.jpg

Made a ton of progress today. Got the dome fully deburred and smooth, cut all the holes in the inner dome, tapped the screws to hold the holos and logics, installed the inner ring and angle ring, installed the rockler and got the head on. He's all ready to paint and start adding dome parts.
See more here.
Trent's R2-D2 Build

e218d06e.jpg

I'm on a roll! 2 crazy productive days in a row and my dome is DONE! (well, minus the radar eye, holo lenses, and electronics) :)
I started replicating the scratches and dings (my favorite part of prop building) by watching ANH on blu ray. :)
Trent's R2-D2 Build

71e5f6aa.jpg

looks like

TisButaScratch.png

I thought I was done for the night but then I found a cool tutorial to make the radar eye out of a soda bottle. Couldn't resist.

6b77ae72.jpg

and here's the scene I'm using to base mine off of.
Comparison.jpg

Last edited:

Great work!

I have the same exact dome, was it hard to fit the inner dome, I did a fast test fist a while ago and it seems a very very tight fit.

GFollano

A tight fit is a good thing. Some people have had experiences with getting gaps between the two if they aren't tight enough. If it's too tight. You can chill the Inner dome and warm the outer and they'll go together easier. Then warm the whole thug to get the plastic Inner ring in.

Holy crap! I may have to repaint! Look at this test piece!

Before
before.jpg

After (test on a scrap piece)
after.jpg

Screenshot
compare.jpg

Last edited:

That is looking awesome, man!!! I can't wait to start one of these. I love the weathering job, and the new blue paint is perfect. What is it?

Last edited:

Man, I'm with you on the repaint. I know it will be a pain , but it will always bug you if you don't. The anodized blue look in the second photo is perfect. Nice build and I too love the weathering look. :thumbsup

Alright, I stripped the dome and repainted last night. I can't believe the blue was finally identified after SO MANY years of hunting.
I'll get some daylight photos once the sun is all the way up.

74ddcc1d.jpg

9eab2b1f.jpg

df42e4a7.jpg

defc98c4.jpg

530b7b87.jpg

842de359.jpg

d46336d0.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back