TRON 3 ?!

Cast Johnny Depp and it'll get the green light. The script, plot, or budget won't matter to Disney, they'll start that production in 4 minutes once Depp signs on. Call it "Tronscendence"

Lindelof is a cancer on hollywood far above the normal talentless exec who only sees dollar signs and not quality. He's deluded enough to think that his stuff is actually good. That said if this was being made I'd hope they'd actually have Tron in it for more than 2 seconds. Disney should cancel the next Pirates movies too since the last ones weren't' very good either.

I think it might be best to let this one die. Tron Legacy wasn't good and having the same people in charge would be rewarding them for that.

Pretty much. Best thing to come out Tron-related since the first movie and after Legacy was Uprising (which had its flaws) but even that was canned.

I don't think you can just take one problem like Tomorrowland and assume their other productions will fail. Completely different franchises.

If there's one thing I feel they did with Tomorrowland was waiting a bit too late to really get the word out there. I didn't even know when it was coming to theaters! In the movie industry you gotta know there's going to be failures and successes. Sometimes MAJOR failures, but you got to just keep going and taking risks.

I'm so tired of studios not taking risks and just sticking to what seems to be safe... reboots.

They need to give Tron a chance. It's been way too long between the first and second films to judge when #3 will be like. It's a HUGE generation gap and Legacy (to me) was a very solid film that opened the door for a new storyline. This is just REALLY sad news. I was SOOO stoked when I saw they were starting Tron 3 finally.

Okay, so since TRON gets cancelled because of how low numbers Tomorrowland got, how about they cancel the next two Avengers movies if Ant-Man has low numbers at the box-office? Because that seems to be the reasoning that Lindelof is subscribed to.

I'd say the chances of a Rocketeer reboot / sequel just became an even more remote possibility, based on The reasoning cited.

I don't think you can just take one problem like Tomorrowland and assume their other productions will fail. Completely different franchises.

If there's one thing I feel they did with Tomorrowland was waiting a bit too late to really get the word out there. I didn't even know when it was coming to theaters! In the movie industry you gotta know there's going to be failures and successes. Sometimes MAJOR failures, but you got to just keep going and taking risks.

I'm so tired of studios not taking risks and just sticking to what seems to be safe... reboots.

They need to give Tron a chance. It's been way too long between the first and second films to judge when #3 will be like. It's a HUGE generation gap and Legacy (to me) was a very solid film that opened the door for a new storyline. This is just REALLY sad news. I was SOOO stoked when I saw they were starting Tron 3 finally.

Honestly, the sad fact is that Tron IS kind of a reboot/remake/franchise thing, so it SHOULD be safe. But I think the issue is that Legacy didn't make ENOUGH money to justify a subsequent, risky sequel when their other films are losing money, too. Like, Tron 3 would make sense if Tomorrowland had done better, because they'd have enough money to absorb a less-than-stellar rollout of Tron 3. But because Tomorrowland apparently hasn't done well enough, they'll cancel it.

Pirates 5 may also be factoring into this, since it's the tail end of a franchise that has been losing some steam in recent years, but filming is already probably done. Or if they're doing anything, it's second unit stuff. Next will come post production and all the CGI stuff, then the marketing. But they'll release it because the money's already been spent, so to speak.

So, basically, Disney backed a few shaky horses. One hasn't panned out like they'd hoped (Tomorrowland). They probably have "meh" expectations for the other one (Pirates 5). That means the third shaky horse gets the axe to play it safe.

Really, though, you can't fault Disney for not taking risks. While they have big tent pics like the Star Wars and Marvel franchises going, their other projects have actually been a little risky. Jon Carter, the Lone Ranger, Tomorrowland, Tron Legacy, I mean, these are not no-brainer-sure-fire-guaranteed-hits we're talking about. My sense is that, in Hollywood terms, they're all pretty risky films. If they're franchises, they're long-dead or not-as-popular/well-known ones. And Tomorrowland itself was a big risk.

The thing is, where Disney seems to fail is in the marketing of these films. They'll promote the hell out of the Marvel stuff -- which, really, sells itself anyway -- but then something like Tomorrowland gets minimal promotion and then they point to it and say "See? You can't sell unknown properties." No, you, apparently, cannot sell unknown properties. But I expect somebody could. If they could bring Mad Max back from the dead -- and do it to roaring praise -- then clearly someone can take these kinds of films and sell them.

I didn't even hear about Tomorrowland until I went and saw Fury Road. That is terrible marketing.

Bring back Daft Punk for the soundtrack and now that they are so popular, you will have a ton of people see the movie just to hear them. This sucks my balls.

Honestly, the sad fact is that Tron IS kind of a reboot/remake/franchise thing, so it SHOULD be safe. But I think the issue is that Legacy didn't make ENOUGH money to justify a subsequent, risky sequel when their other films are losing money, too. Like, Tron 3 would make sense if Tomorrowland had done better, because they'd have enough money to absorb a less-than-stellar rollout of Tron 3. But because Tomorrowland apparently hasn't done well enough, they'll cancel it.

I don't really agree with Legacy being a reboot. It was very much a sequel to reinvigorate the franchise, but they did it in a way to where new generations didn't exactly have to see the first to understand the second one (by design of the film's structure).

I remember Tomorrowland having a lot of buzz in the beginning with Brad Bird, but I think Disney made the big mistake of thinking it would instantly get butts in the seats to see this movie. I've KNOWN about this movie being made for a long time, but they did not generate a whole lot of exposure and kept the thing so secretive that they failed to show audiences what they were in for. You could easily advertise Star Wars and show only a logo and people would just be there, but this isn't Star Wars.

The only big glimpse of what I got to see of the film was during a special IMAX reveal at the Age of Ultron IMAX 3D opening night. Anything else I saw was just not really compelling advertising. We knew a pin had this special power. but no conflict, no big reason in the trailer WHY we need to find out more. Nothing felt significant about it. I've heard very good things about the film, but I'm not about to rush out to see it.

It was just VERY poorly assumed that because it had something to do with the most famous theme park in the world that people would just see the name and want to see it.

Pirates of the Caribbean 1 had a very compelling campaign and that movie was legitimately awesome. There just isn't that aspect to Tomorrowland that I have seen yet. I saw a lot of VERY VERY well done visual effects, but that isn't what sells me on seeing a film.

I don't really agree with Legacy being a reboot. It was very much a sequel to reinvigorate the franchise, but they did it in a way to where new generations didn't exactly have to see the first to understand the second one (by design of the film's structure).

Sorry, I should be clearer. I don't mean "reboot" in the sense of "restarting the continuity." I mean "reboot" referring to the broader sense of trying to revitalize an older IP, in the hopes of creating a new franchise. Mostly it just fits in with Hollywood's tendency to try to take existing ideas and repackage them. Actually, I suppose "repackaging" is a better term, come to think of it.

I remember Tomorrowland having a lot of buzz in the beginning with Brad Bird, but I think Disney made the big mistake of thinking it would instantly get butts in the seats to see this movie. I've KNOWN about this movie being made for a long time, but they did not generate a whole lot of exposure and kept the thing so secretive that they failed to show audiences what they were in for. You could easily advertise Star Wars and show only a logo and people would just be there, but this isn't Star Wars.

The only big glimpse of what I got to see of the film was during a special IMAX reveal at the Age of Ultron IMAX 3D opening night. Anything else I saw was just not really compelling advertising. We knew a pin had this special power. but no conflict, no big reason in the trailer WHY we need to find out more. Nothing felt significant about it. I've heard very good things about the film, but I'm not about to rush out to see it.

It was just VERY poorly assumed that because it had something to do with the most famous theme park in the world that people would just see the name and want to see it.

Pirates of the Caribbean 1 had a very compelling campaign and that movie was legitimately awesome. There just isn't that aspect to Tomorrowland that I have seen yet. I saw a lot of VERY VERY well done visual effects, but that isn't what sells me on seeing a film.

Nor I.

What I'm finding, actually, is that it's difficulty for marketing to penetrate to reach me. I watch almost no live TV anymore, and if I do, it's on pay channels like HBO. I tend to watch more On Demand, and for that, I'm usually watching AMC, FX, and a few of the major networks. The On Demand content tends to have fewer commercials in general, and those it does have are almost always about promoting existing shows on the network, and occasionally additional products. What I don't see hardly ever are ads for current or upcoming films. And I rarely go to the theater anymore, either, so the only time I do see news about films is:

1. On this site.

2. On Facebook.

3. Hearing buzz from friends.

4. Seeing a trailer.

The thing about the Marvel films is that they're freaking EVERYWHERE. They were advertising, like, Audi cars and I caught glimpses of the new Avengers flick because of a product tie-in or whatever.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is starting to affect more people than just myself, especially as more and more people become "cord cutters" and switch to streaming only. As such, the marketing campaigns from even 5-10 years ago are working less and less effectively. The studios need to find more ways to get information out to audiences about upcoming films, and they just....don't. Or at least don't seem to be doing so effectively.

I saw some blurb about Tomorrowland on here that Vivek posted, but I basically ignored it. Maleficent was another one that I ignored. Both of these films seem kinda interestnig in theory, but I'm not in any rush to see them. With Maleficent, it's probably because I'm kinda burnt out on the whole "fairytale retold" thing after watching the new Oz movie in theaters and watching Once Upon a Time (but finding it grow increasingly tedious). With Tomorrowland, it actually does look to have cool visuals, but I basically know nothing about it other than it's a utopia gone horribly wrong or something. Kinda reminds me of the Bioshock series, actually, but that's as may be. Anyway, I only heard about this in any further detail, like, a week ago.

But that's the thing. I think we're going to continue to see marginal franchises and films like Tomorrowland continue to fail until Hollywood figures out new ways to market that actually reach people who are shifting where and how they consume both entertainment and information.

I'm also extremely bummed. Tie this with the BTiLC remake news and it's been a crappy week for movies.

I was heartbroken when I heard the news that late Friday night. I was out enjoying myself watching an 80's cover band and I get the report that Disney put the brakes on Tron 3! UGH!
Then the band starting playing "Separate Ways" by Journey and that was it...too much to take.
I've been doing what I can to help the campaign by showing my support. I even ordered the T-Shirt! hahah
SaveTron3Shirt.jpg

I saw the original TRON for my birthday, during its initial theatrical run. While I really enjoyed the film, it never had the personal pull for me that the SW or ST films did. Probably that was for a lot of people. And while TRON: Legacy was "cool" to see, it lacked an awful lot of Tron!!

Many have speculated that Tomorrowland's failure to make opening weekend's gross was the big culprit.
It's REALLY disturbing to me that movies today are based on initial $$$. Disney was writing down Tomorrowland within one week of debut!

Remember, TRON: Legacy made about $200 million domestic and the same overseas. That just over $400 million (Disney got about half of those receipts), for a movie that cost close to $200 million to produce, not including advertising.

With merchandising and DVD/ Blu-ray sales, I bet Disney barely broke even on Legacy. My though is that they were looking for a way to get a TIGHT budget on Tron 3. When the TL didn't hit its metrics, Disney pulled in. Really, they have SW franchise and the Marvel films, with Disney animation and PIXAR. There's enough better risk content there than the more limited fan appeal of the TRON Universe.

Just glad I have the Tron: Uprising on iTunes.

A lot of TV classics wouldn't have made it as far as they have, had the networks not given them a chance to grow. It sucks that shows are based on initial ratings instead of just sticking to something and see if it catches on for at least a season or two. Look at "I Love Lucy." The show didn't get tons of viewership back when it was first aired, but over time grew phenomenally and is now one of the most well known TV shows out there as a household name.

Getting back to movies, I get it that it's a business. I don't think it's all bad though if they use some of these huge cash cow movies to invest in other films that aren't so much if they're going to even out or make just a little extra profit just for the sake of loving a property enough to want to continue the story where there is a market for it, and not just for the sake that only if it comes back two fold or whatever they demand it to be.

Look at some of the films out there that do poorly at the box office, but get sequels made regardless?

Studios throw money at films almost no one sees, but gets Oscars.

I know.. all crazy talk. Businesses like Disney need to have investor confidence that they are making wise decisions and keeping their stocks at peak. All about the money all the time every time. I wonder if they're considering Age of Ultron a bomb compared to what they were hoping despite the crazy profit it's made so far.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back