Unlimited Run TridCloudwalker's Anakin AotC Lightsaber Run! NOW SHIPPING

Re: TridCloudwalker's Anakin AotC Lightsaber Run!

I'm excited and scared at the same time to see a finished shroud. Was kind of a paint to figure out and draw and hit has to be harder to machine. Then again, i worry (BIG TIME) every time something goes to the shop. :)

The machinist is working on them. I just haven't had time to get over there and take pics, as I'm moving this week, so things have been a tad hectic to say the least. I'm hoping to run over there this Tuesday and snap some shots.

Pics on Monday. I never made it over this past Tuesday. This move is killing me. I close my eyes at night and I still see myself packing boxes. I truck everything out on Sunday, and I'm off work Monday for Columbus Day, so I should be able to run over and snap some shots then. Then hopefully this run will seem a little less like vaporware. My apologies if anyone has been getting nervous. I hope to alleviate that very very soon.

I'm not getting nervous - I just like pics :)

Thanks for the update and I hope you get through your move in one piece!

Some pics! There's nothing exciting to see quite yet this early on. Right now he's working on the solid inner core for the display versions. First the rod gets cut to size, then the ends get turned and smoothed, and a slight radius put onto the edges, then the little pommel hole gets drilled in. He still has to add the larger emitter hole, and the knurling around the pommel, and turn the overall diameter down to 1.107 inches so that it will slide in and out of the screen accurate 1.109 inner diameter of the the outer sleeve without getting stuck should there be temperature expansions or debris inside. We think ahead. :)

Incidentally, 1.109 inches is the area you'll have to work with if you're planning on cramming electronics in there, though there will also be a small channel running down the length inside so that the groove can be cut in on the side of the saber. It'll be a tight fit to be sure, but workable.

Monster industrial bandsaw used to cut the rods down to size:
10-12-10_1935.jpg

Lathe smoothing out the ends:
10-12-10_1920.jpg

Lathe Drilling in the pommel hole:
10-12-10_1921.jpg

Finished:
10-12-10_1926.jpg

Several finished pommel ends:
10-12-10_1922.jpg

Emitter ends awaiting their hole:
10-12-10_1925.jpg

10-12-10_1923.jpg

I'll be taking more progress pics Fridayish I believe. Stay tuned.

I'm starting to get a little concerned. It's been nearly two months since the 'tools will be officially cutting metal on Monday' post.

I wasn't in on the Ki-Adi run, but I followed the thread and there seemed to be more updates during production, if I recall. Is everything moving forward on this run?

Hey guys. I'm using the free WiFi at a Borders right now, as my new house won't have internet for another week. I'll be making my way over to the shop this Friday to get more pictures. The run's still moving, but so did I, so I haven't been able to get over to the shop as often as I did during the last run. I'll be making more frequent trips during the coming weeks. Fret not. If anyone would like to talk to me personally and ask questions to alleviate concerns, PM me, and I'll send you my cell phone number. I'll be happy to answer any and all questions to the best of my ability.

Hey, wow, an update finally!

More work on the solid inner cores. This time he's turning down the outer diameter to .002 of an inch smaller than the inner diameter of the outer shell (main body). This will insure a snug fit for you duelers, but prevent lockups when needing to remove the core should any debris happen get inside, or vast temperature changes cause swelling/shrinkage.
10-30-10_1708.jpg

10-30-10_1700.jpg

The wider end on the bottom will have a hair more of the diameter turned down, and then the knurling will be pressed in. It's purpose is to act as a stop, so that you can easily twist, and align all your knob holes (that sounds dirty).
10-30-10_1702.jpg

Here are the outer shells/main bodies. Over the next couple days, these will be turned down a hair to their proper outer diameters. Then the channels will be cut in for the groove and grips, the horizontal "knurls" will be cut in around the bottom, and holes will be drilled for the 3 knobs.
10-30-10_1701.jpg

Here's a test core with the groove milled in for the LED bezels (the red marker was so that he knew which groove was the correct one, as there is on on the other side of the core that has the bezel holes too close together. Sometimes even with detailed blueprints and measurements, the machines still managed to screw it up somehow. The joys of technology.
10-30-10_1704.jpg

10-30-10_1703.jpg

10-30-10_1706.jpg

More progress pics to come later in the week!

There's progress, but I've not had a free day to run to the shop for pics. Will be trying to get there early this coming week.

Any news or pics? I was hoping that I'd have one in hand by the end of the year, but now.........????????????????

Rick

I'm heading to the shop on Thursday to take some progress pics. I'm hoping to have these done by the end of the year too. I dunno if that's gonna happen. It all depends on the machinist. He thinks he can have them done by then, but I've found that you should always double whatever time a machinist gives you. I don't know why that is, but every run I've seen done on this board that has involved machining, has always taken longer than expected. I'm still waiting for the second run of E-11 Cylinders to start that were supposed to have been started almost a year ago. :lol No offense meant, I know he's a busy man, getting hired to do some big jobs.

And that's kind of the boat I'm in. My machinist works on the sabers after business hours and gives us a huge discount. But sometimes that means delays. I apologize to everyone. But as everyone who was in on the last run knows, I do deliver, and it's a high quality piece.

New pics in a few days. I promise.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back