TPM VD Yoda Lightsaber Prop

The thing that I can't figure out is that my bolsey looks exactly like yours did with the reflector on it, except that the end cap looks exactly like the one that you got from the Praco, except that it was painted black. I have a B2 bolsey. I wonder if the end cap was switched in the past?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seven @ Nov 17 2006, 09:10 PM) [snapback]1360227[/snapback]</div>
Well, Lonepigeon was right, it was the wrong Praco. The only thing that is useful in the whole flash was the end cap. The flash was a completely different design; even the band and tube are cut differently.

But on the bright side, I did get an accurate end cap, and comparing it to the one Russrep made, It is almost identical

Here are a few snap shots. First is a side-by-side of the wrong praco and the Bolsey
300592856_519c390aab.jpg

Here is the Praco end cap next to the Russrep replica end cap.
300592855_d0490b7c52_o.jpg

Same two end caps, just comparing their Diameter, which appears Identical.
300592853_5371214630.jpg

[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SirJediKnightTim @ Nov 22 2006, 11:08 PM) [snapback]1364116[/snapback]</div>
The thing that I can't figure out is that my bolsey looks exactly like yours did with the reflector on it, except that the end cap looks exactly like the one that you got from the Praco, except that it was painted black. I have a B2 bolsey. I wonder if the end cap was switched in the past?
[/b]

I have seen the Bolsey have this end cap too. Must be just another variation. Good find though to get one with the right endcap

Here is a photo of mine. It's really clean too. I used some 600 grit sandpaper on the entire saber, including the emmiter/hood. That really polished it up.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seven @ Nov 23 2006, 04:27 PM) [snapback]1364442[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SirJediKnightTim @ Nov 22 2006, 11:08 PM) [snapback]1364116[/snapback]
[/b]

I have seen the Bolsey have this end cap too. Must be just another variation. Good find though to get one with the right endcap
[/b][/quote]

Here's my Yoda saber, made from a Praco which I've been told is the correct one. (ignore the brass ring behind the emitter, just trying to add some color to it :p)

I have a PEM nut but have yet to install it, because I can't find the right screw for it.

DSCF6116.jpg

DSCF6119.jpg

DSCF6123.jpg

One detail has been bugging me: Instead of having a notch and a button, there're only 2 small holes on one side of the band. The 2 rectangular holes on the other side of the band seem to be of the correct configuration.

Do I have the correct Praco, with a wrong band?

Opinions/Comments?

The two holes are correct (you have to cut the notch yourself), but the one opposite them toward the grips is something I don't remember seeing. Looks like your little knob is missing...is there just a hole there? The Praco looks right, maybe just slightly damaged.

The PEM nut is easy: get a 4-40 machine screw, cut it so it goes about halfway into the PEM (or buy one short enough...I couldn't find one) and presto. Easy breezy.

Hey Seven: what's that incorrect Praco got under the black band...anything good?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cayman shen @ Nov 24 2006, 06:41 PM) [snapback]1365125[/snapback]</div>
Hey Seven: what's that incorrect Praco got under the black band...anything good?
[/b]

Nothing at all. The tube goes up and stops inside the band. The only thing is that the tube is notched like the Bottom of the Bolsey/Praco, on both top and bottom.

Do you mean the notch where the emitter shroud screws in to the Bolsey? Because the Bolsey notch goes too far into the tube, meaning that the PEM nut sits about 1/8 in. too far back.

But the little knob on the side is missing, right? So you couldn't just stick your Bolsey shroud on the Praco?

(Am I making sense?)

It is similar to the top notch for the emitter shroud, but it is like twice as wide, and the bottom double notch
is not a bouble notch but another single one that has the same width as the top.

On a completly seperate note

I have been scouting around for the correct, or at least similar oil sump pan for the activation switch, and I have been told that it is a 5 quart pan, and the Corvette never came with 5qt oil pan.

But in my search I have found that Ford, Chevy, and Dogde all have oil pans that look similar. Otherwise, still no luck on that yet.

I've been looking at the POSW pic next to yours seven, and also comparing a really nice blueprint I have to my Bolsey, and I'm pretty sure the emitter of the Bolsey is higher than it is on the Praco. Look how high the wheel sits in the emitter shroud of the Praco and how it just touches the edge of the shroud on the Bolsey. I think I'm going to pop a second hole (making sure both will be covered by the screw/washer.) and move my shroud closer to the flash body to compensate. This will also place the screw closer to the PEM nut, and though still not quite accurate (the PEM is too far back) will more closely mimic the Praco, where the shroud screw and the PEM are much clsoer together.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clownluv15 @ Dec 19 2006, 02:47 AM) [snapback]1380456[/snapback]</div>
i cant find a bolsey flash anywhere?hopefully one will show up on the bay soon.
[/b]
I have a few to spare. How about a trade? PM me if interested.

Hey Seven, what did it take to get your center band on the flash body? I can only get it a little bit on, even lubed up, and I'm afraid it'll get stuck. Did you sand the inside to thin it or did you just cram it on and assume it would be there for all time?

Sliding the center band on was the most difficult part. It did not want to go. I twisted it back and forth and banged it, and used a mallet to drive it on. The inside certainly could have used a lite sanding to clear that Diameter better. Now that it's there, it wont be coming off too soon.

Funny story about that (this is why I asked)...years ago when I had a Praco and knew NOTHING about prop making, I got the center band so thoroughly wedged onto the flash that I had to use a razor knife and slit the band lengthwise to get it off. I cut it at the long slit that the box covers, and I filled in the gap so that when the box was on the band you really couldn't tell too much, but way to mess up a rare antique, huh?

Man, I can't believe how much I've learned about prop/model making since then. I think about some of my early goofs and I want to slap myself.

Later that day: I found that the top of the center band slid over the tube, but that the bottom was so snug it wouldn't even go over the tube...maybe something about how it had been jammed on the top of the flash for fifty years. So I reamed out the inside from the bottom with a course half-round file for a bit, sanded it smoother to avoid scratching the main tube, washed it, and slid it on. Like butter.

Now I'm working on my scratchbuilt control box :)

How is the control box coming along?I finally found a bolsey flash for cheap,and it had the right endcap,but painted black.Now all i have to do is remove the camera attachment bracket and do a little sanding with some fine sandpaper and asemble it all together.Has anyone found the brass screw that holds the emitter on?

I just finished a control box that, while not totally accurate (YOU try making all those curves from laminated styrene! :)) is pretty snazzy. I wonder if I cast it if there's be interest? Maybe even as an inexpensive placeholder until an original is snagged? I'll try to post pics later.

Cool,i know i would be in for one.I finally got the bracket off,and now i am ready to slide the black center band on,but i need to know where to cut the notch and how everything lines up.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back