Toy Story - Woody / Jessie / Stinky Pete / Forky

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
How come woody always has a holster but no gun?
I started a thread years ago on this very topic.
The idea is that Woody is a cowboy. What cowboy doesn't have a gun? Since Disney doesn't want to promote guns, it's accepted that the gun was lost years ago. So with his empty holster you still get that gun 'flavor'.

Jintosh

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Good point. And that's what I came up with as well. I don't remember if it was stated in the movie, but it COULD have been !

Remember when Woody is in the yard sale, and the Collector examines Woody, he gives an analysis of Woody's condition as a collectable. He might have said something like, "missing gun" or something to that effect.

EmmaInCandyland

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Good point. And that's what I came up with as well. I don't remember if it was stated in the movie, but it COULD have been !

Remember when Woody is in the yard sale, and the Collector examines Woody, he gives an analysis of Woody's condition as a collectable. He might have said something like, "missing gun" or something to that effect.
Al never said anything like this in the yard sale. Woody just never had a gun =). It was never depicted with a gun on the merchandise in the second movie, neither in the show, he just comes without it.

CT1138

Sr Member
I like the theory that he had belong to Andy's Dad, whose own father worked on it as a prototype figure before the factory making Woody Dolls for Woody's Round Up closed.

EmmaInCandyland

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I like the theory that he had belong to Andy's Dad, whose own father worked on it as a prototype figure before the factory making Woody Dolls for Woody's Round Up closed.
Yeah, there's another theory where it says the young girl owning Jessie was Andy's mom, because Andy had a red hat in the first movie, just like the girl in the second ^^

Jintosh

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Al never said anything like this in the yard sale. Woody just never had a gun =). It was never depicted with a gun on the merchandise in the second movie, neither in the show, he just comes without it.
I had to watch it again to be sure. ;)
You're right, Al does not even make any note of the missing gun. He comments that the hat is missing, but then finds it. (which is what I mis-remembered) If the gun was missing, he would have said so. So, one would indeed conclude that the toy never had a gun.

division 6

Master Member
Rather ironic since they used to have "live" cowboy shootouts in frontier land.

They even used to sell toy guns at the outpost next to the shooting gallery.

PoopaPapaPalps

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I honestly can't believe there are bespoke, handmade kits for Sporky!:lol: There are molds out there for a spork!

I still have that same Zurg but I lost the gun ages ago. I've wanted to make a more accurate version for a long time with light up mouth and Zurg-o-Vision. Most importantly, an accurate paint job!

SquidMan

I just saw Toy Story 4 last night (very good, I thought—not as good as TS3 but a very worthy installment), and there are a bunch of new details about Woody that we haven't seen before (or at least I didn't notice in previous films):

The buttons on his shirt are meant to be pearlescent/opalescent, not pure white.

His vest is meant to be sewn flat onto his shirt, and not a separate removable piece. There shouldn't be any obvious white stitching on it over the black cowskin spots either.

His sheriff badge is removable.

The red jewel on his holster is shiny and translucent, unlike the opaque one on the Toy Story Collection Woody.

The stitching on his hat should be a plastic lacing cord, not fabric string.

Making these little changes would really push your replica to the next level, EmmaInCandyland. The hat stitching cord should be fairly easy to find, and I'm sure you could find a plastic ruby that would be the proper size for the holster. Not sure about the buttons though.

EmmaInCandyland

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Making these little changes would really push your replica to the next level, EmmaInCandyland. The hat stitching cord should be fairly easy to find, and I'm sure you could find a plastic ruby that would be the proper size for the holster. Not sure about the buttons though.
Yup, I think I'll be waiting for the bluray to work a bit more on these maybe =D I'm happy as they are now, but would definitely have a closer look once it gets released!

I just got out of the imax too, absolutely fantastic! It was great to see all of the toys in such details!!!