Toronto Prop Party Official Date - June 25th 2011

Re: Toronto Prop Party - Interest thread

Hey
I wouldn't recomend fanexpo.
The reason is that fanexpo is a HUGE trade show style environment, not very good for a display like ours would be.
Polaris would have the ability to house and display the items in a room that is watched by security as well as the prop bringers/creators.
Polaris also has an art room and dealers room.
Neither of those ever go unwatched.
Yes I will make an assumpition that we will have to pay something.
However, I am certain that as providers of a display, we could negotiate a discounted entry fee.
On an different note, we could also offer this to polaris as well as having a prop party else where at a different time and location.
I have seen some great costume displays in the past, I see no reason why props couldn't be the same.
Scott

I think one of the problems with doing a prop show at a con, is that we'd basically be working the whole time. We'd have to be there, explaining everything to the public, have to be there bright and early to setup, and stay until it closes to tear it down. With a steady stream of people coming and going, it will be difficult to socialize.
If a group of RPF'ers wanted to put on a display, I'd certainly love to see it. I've done conventions before for work, and they are far from relaxing...

Take a look at some of the posts in this thread...http://www.therpf.com/f12/rpf-con-booths-112059/

Back to the party I think with the private room D&B is going to work out well for us... Any word on a date/time? :thumbsup

However, I am certain that as providers of a display, we could negotiate a discounted entry fee.
Falken, don't bet on them giving any discount, call them and ask, you'll see.
You may end up with a lousy spot

On an different note, we could also offer this to polaris as well as having a prop party else where at a different time and location.
I have seen some great costume displays in the past, I see no reason why props couldn't be the same.
I agree, but for Polaris we would also need to prepare further in advance.
And Polaris is in Downsview, which may not be as convenient.
Also, like Jonny previously mentioned, you have to dismantle the display at the end of the day in crazy sea of people rushing to get the hell out of there.
And you may lose the enjoyment of walking around the convention, no strings attached.

So this is definitely happening and could be better than expected.
For all those interested, give me a rough idea of how many may be attending.

So this is definitely happening and could be better than expected.
For all those interested, give me a rough idea of how many may be attending.

I'll be coming and have two friends that may join me. I'll be bringing items to show as well as items for potential trade/sale if anyone is interested in that type of thing at a party like this.

Are we going to have door prizes? If so I could contribute.

Looking forward to it! Just need a date & time. I'm glad D&B is able to accommodate us.

Kelly and I and our little guys for sure. Depending on the date, I'm bringing my sister and her husband. I'll have a few things to show off :)

Let us know dates and times, and whether or not you need a deposit :)
Big thanks again Caveneau.

Sorry for the late reply but I just found this thread. I would be interested depending on the date.

Have you considered a Legion Hall?

We have had parties at D&B in costume so that is not new for them.

Alex, so glad you saw this! I was going to try and get in touch with you anyway just to see if you'd be interested, would love for you to bring your R2 (and mini droid)!

I don't want to speak for Caveneau but from talking with him I think D&B is quickly becoming the location of choice based on an option that we're hoping to take advantage of that other locations may not be able to accommodate.

It's all good John, you've taken quite a hand in this so feel free to reach out.
Yes, I have to apologize, I'm a little slow to keep playing phone tag with D & B. Everytime I get a chance to call, they're busy, I leave a msg, then they call me back at a time when I'm unable to talk, due to my work schedule.
We're still going over some finer details, but Dave and Busters is the planned location at this point.

If you have other friends on the RPF you want to inform, we'd like to keep the party specifically for members of the RPF(and family or friends).
We're hoping for over 30 people to attend, maybe much more, who knows.

We will have a private entrance for those who are bringing their own props.

I was telling dr_slurpee that I'm more of a 'scifi gun' collector, so I'll be bringing a bunch of those.

Anyone who wants to display their stuff will have plenty of table room.

I planned go to D & B to check it out today, but I got lazy with the rainy weather.
I'd like to take some pictures of the room we will have and then I will post them for everyone to see so we can get an idea of where we can setup.

:thumbsup

I'll have enough props for one or two tables and will be bringing at least one other person with me, perhaps two. Once you have a set date/time let us know and I'll get people to mark it on their calendars!

I'd like to make a correction, anyone from the RPF or any other group is also invited. It's not just for RPF members.

Just an update.
The date has been set for JUNE 25th.
Arrival time 12pm
I hope this helps your schedules.
I just had them pick the last Saturday of the month.
We are getting their 'largest' room, max capacity of 146 people.

So now, we really need to step things up by getting a head count.
Many of you have already provided details.

Food:
Dave and Busters will require an approximate number of people attending to a plan 'finger food' buffet. There's a variety of buffets available, but I'm trying to keep costs low. They start at $14.99. For those of you bringing kids, if you want to PM me I can email you buffet brochures. They are also available on their website.

Cost:
I don't know at this point because it will depend on how many people will realistically attend. So, I guess at this point a head count is a priority. So feel free to start letting me know.

AV Setup:
The room comes with a projector and plasma tv(I didn't ask the size)
There will be a microphone setup as well.
They do not provide additional TVs or DVD players, so if anyone wants to bring their own media, you're probably on your own. Parents might have portable DVD players for their kids which helps. Also, there is a full midway arcade available.

Alcohol:
They have open bar. I suggested against that, so any alcohol ordered will go under general billing for food. I welcome your suggestions on this one, I personally see no need for an open bar, but let me know.

Last edited:

(y)thumbsup(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Everything looks good so far. I will make some calls and get a number for how many of us.

Out of curiosity, our kids are under 2 years...could you find out if they have any high chairs available?

I'm in for sure and will need at least one table.

I'll leave my kids at home for this one, but will check with a couple friends of mine to see if they're in for that date.

Do we know approx. cost? ie: if it's 20 people it'll be $XX, if it's 30 people it'll be $XX... That will help in my recruiting. May I also suggest you start a list in your first post of people coming and # of guests so you can keep track of it all. :)

For playing video I have a digital media player & a 2TB HDD with loads of great stuff on it to play. BTTF in HD, Connery Bond films in HD, loads of SD stuff... If you'd like me to bring it let me know.

I'm with you on the alcohol. Open bar isn't the greatest idea I don't think.

Woohoo! Prop Party!!!

This is great.

JonnyAmateur, I'll let you know if they have high chairs.
I'm pretty sure they would, wouldn't they? They must.

OrangeBlend, $20-$25 per person is the aim.

Like I've been nagging, I need to have a better idea of how many will be coming.

Example: If 30 people attend, paying $25 each, that is already too much! I'll be giving money back. So my priorty is a head count at this point.
That way I better estimate the price.

I'm not sure...I think D&B's website said something about being 18+ after 7 so maybe they don't necessarily expect a lot of young uns...
Not a big deal, but I may not be the only one in need so it can't hurt to ask! Lol thanks Cav

No, don't worry about that.
I even mentioned on the phone that we'd have young kids there, they said no problem.

Bump for attendance

Based on the rough numbers you've all given me,

We're up to 15 people minimum attending.
We need more people!
I'm somewhat disappointed, I expected more.
For those of you bringing friends, please reconfirm with me.

Also, those inviting friends from other groups and forums,
Please let me know at least how many people you may be bringing.

So, again, attendance is now the major priority.
Unfortunately Dave and Busters needs to know a minimum of people. Because we're getting the biggest room, ordering food is mandatory.

I've told them 30 people will be attending, and we're barely at 15-20.

So please, if you really want this to happen, let me know ASAP.
The more people who attend, the lower the cost per person.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back