Toronto Prop Party Official Date - June 25th 2011

Re: Toronto Prop Party - Interest thread

I think most people will be driving and parking is a major concern for those who want to bring their stuff.

I`ve got my sister and brother in law interested in coming as well.

I can honestly say, I don`t have my heart set on any particular location. I just want to see this happen.

Hey Scott, what's the area like for parking? We're looking at potentially 20 some odd cars if every one attends and drives separate (school or other lot available). I like the personal nature of the house event, like the old Kropserkle ones.

I'm more of a fan of a private event, I can't see walking into D+B with various guns without issue, nevermind the public wandering in and seeing them (the local 501st once had the police called on them due to the ignorance of the public outside of a store)

Also, 20-30 people with a bunch of them bringing props means that unless you've got a HUGE house it'll be quite cramped. :)

Talisen just brought up a very good point. D+B may actually not allow certain props in the doors let alone freaking some people (parents) out if they saw them. Guns, knives, swords etc would pose a problem/liability for both the owners and D+B I would think.

A house would be more intimate, but if you have 15-20 people with props there's going to be overcrowding in most houses I would think.

Caveneau PM coming your way.

I still like the idea of Dave & Busters. They seem to be quite accommodating. I told them all about the kind of props we'd be bringing all the way from guns to 'bigger' items + costuming and their reaction was that it sounds fun. Apparently even walking around in costume is cool with D & B.

We will be getting a bigger room that will fit up to 96, rental price is very good, approx $250. Food would be charged extra. Lots of parking.

It's great that we're all coming together on this with suggestions. I appreciate all the help and links I've received. It's all good.

I'll still be looking into other options that you have all suggested, but I gotta tell you, I think Dave & Busters would accommodate us nicely.

Oh, this is happening...don't worry.

Last edited:

I'll still be looking into other options that you have all suggested, but I gotta tell you, I think Dave & Busters would accommodate us nicely.

That's good. :) Private room with a door though?

That's good. :) Private room with a door though?

D & B said we would have a big room that would be completely private, no open windows for people to look in on.

I will ask them about a 'separate' entrance, I didn't even think of it..duh.

I'll call again on Monday.

Orange blend,
I live in a 3 story, 5 bedroom house, with a finished basement, and a decent sized backyard(complete with trampoline and bbq.
The main floor of my home including the backyard would be more than enough to house 20 people.
Plus the admission would be zero dollars.
There is a pay parking lot around the corner from me as well as a school.
I never need to park in either place so I am not sure of the convenience of them.
My two bits
If anyone wants to have a look at my place, let me know.
I'll stay out of the decision making process now.
:)
Scott

Orange blend,
I live in a 3 story, 5 bedroom house, with a finished basement, and a decent sized backyard(complete with trampoline and bbq.
The main floor of my home including the backyard would be more than enough to house 20 people.
I never need to park in either place so I am not sure of the convenience of them.
My two bits
Scott

Well then Mister Fancy Pants! :lol

Orange blend,
My two bits
Scott

We'd need HD video of people in costume jumping on the trampoline. :lol

Tim

Nothing specific at this time.
It's probably going to be mid to late June

I have another thought that I could certainly look into.
It may be too late for this year, not sure.
There is a convention coming up in July called Polaris.
Polaris :: July 15-17, 2011
What about setting up at the con and doing a big display.
Then we would have access to a room, have security, and others could enjoy all there is to see in a public area.
I know a number of the organizers and I am sure the convention would appreciate it as well.
Let me know thoughts on that and I will move forward if there is any interest.
Scott

Falken, I think Odoc suggested something similar for Fanexpo as well. I think there's a couple issues with doing a display at a con. Mostly, its cost prohibitive.
I'm comfortable showing you guys my small collection and getting some creative criticism...having it on display to a raging group of fanboys scares the crap out of me :wacko

Polaris does sound like fun though. Not sure I will do both that and Fanexpo this year...could be an expensive summer :lol

I have another thought that I could certainly look into.
What about setting up at the con and doing a big display.
Then we would have access to a room, have security, and others could enjoy all there is to see in a public area.
I know a number of the organizers and I am sure the convention would appreciate it as well.
Scott

When I go to conventions, I want to walk around and enjoy.
I'm not keen on the idea of presenting props at a con.
Plus, I don't go to Polaris anymore. I wait for FanExpo.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back